The October-November 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Final Fantasy Tactics

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Sep 28, 2017.

1. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah I found that out the hard way. Random battles are so much harder now. I know I spent the better part of an hour on one earlier. It didn't help that I was a White Mage at the time and even after Focusing about 20 times it was still taking 4 hits to kill each enemy.

2. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Orator Challenge

Mining City of Gollund

This is typically one of the easier battles in the game, but I had a run of awful luck that meant it took me even longer than the Execution Site. If I were an Astrologer, I think I'd be spamming my 0 MP "you all have a chance to be hit with Immobilize, Disable, and Stop" skill instead of charging into the fray and getting myself killed. My guest had other opinions and I kept losing repeatedly. When I finally got him to actually smarten up, we won easily.

Back Gate of Lesalia Castle

Easy peasy. The map necessitates the enemy bunching up as they come to your position, which made them ripe for getting put to sleep with Mimic Daravon. I put all but one of them to sleep, Enticed the other, then went to town on the leader.

Mythril Guns became available for purchase at this point, so I hopped down to Goug to buy a set of 5 for my people, almost doubling their physical attack power. This should make the next few battles significantly easier...

3. Dr.Traveler

Dr.Traveler Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2008
    I’ve decided that for story battles, dead means dead. Dorter City Slums cost me two generics. But Ramza is almost a Arithmetician. I just recovered the Marquis De Elmdore. I’ll see you again soon Elmdore.

4. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    That certainly adds some tension.

5. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    It's the first time I've taken that step. Typically if one of my guys hits 0, I reset. I'll still revive members in the battle (of course), but I've never let a battle resolve where someone hit the 0 death count. It was... intense. And added consequence to the battle.

It's chilling though seeing a fallen teammate crystalize. I've seen and collected countless crystals from enemy human characters before. You have to do that to become a dark knight, and the ability to rack up abilities "for free" is tempting.

Anyways, there's a lot of drama now. Do I bring on a new teammate who will start back, do I just push on and pick up the story characters... decisions decisions. If I can get Ramza to and through the Arithmetician I can probably hold out with my one last surviving generic to the end of chapter one. We will see.

6. Mycroft

Mycroft Active Member

Jan 17, 2009
    U.S.A.
    Just checking in that I did get started yesterday as planned ... upgraded to iOS 11 over the weekend and have begun the journey. :)

I enjoy reading of the different approaches folks are taking on their runs, I'm doing a Normal one myself so do appreciate hearing what others are experiencing.

7. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Welcome to the Play-a-long! Is this your first time with the game?

8. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I think I have accidentally done this. Suddenly th guest character , something on A I think and Mustchasio or something is gone xD

9. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Made it to Chapter 2! Game time 9 hours and Ramza is at level 51.

10. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Congrats! I’m still in chapter one and probably won’t get in a battle tonight. How’s Ramza doing? What skills do you have?

11. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Orator Challenge

I forgot to mention that after Lesalia, I also picked up five sets of Germinas Boots. These will come in Super Handy here in a couple of battles...

Under Orbonne, Level 2

First try - a Lancer one-hit KO'd one of my girls before I could do anything. Um, whoops. Reset the pre-battle formation and I was good to go. Enticed two Lancers and they helped me beat up everybody else.

Under Orbonne, Level 3

Equip Germinas Boots, hop the 4-height wall, and five gunshots took out the leader before the end of the first round. I actually delayed my final shot since I wanted to hear "Under the Stars" some more. Such a great song.

Under Orbonne, Level 1

I love how the leader here never fails to show up with a pile of female generics at his back. Anyway, he walked forward to hit us, and we shot him up. 5 hits and out again.

Zeklaus Desert

This battle is new in War of the Lions, as should be obvious by the guest being
    Luso from Final Fantasy Tactics A2
    . This battle looked harder than it actually was - the enemies were scaled to my piddly level 14-15 while my guest was cruising around at level 25. He one-shotted two of the monsters, I landed Sleep on a couple others, then helped him peck the rest of them to death.

Grogh Heights

No joke, this took over 10 attempts. I had a string of horrendous luck with Entice, and I also lost one run because Ramza crystallized with one enemy remaining at 1 HP. Would have won if the genius Thief I'd Enticed had attacked instead of trying to steal the last enemy's armor for whatever reason. Anyway. After a few attempts where one of my people went down in the first round, I finally scraped a little luck together, landed an Entice on a Squire with a Diamond Sword, and Berserked him so he wouldn't run around derping it up. Also Enticed a Thief that happened to know Phoenix Down, so when she turned to help us, we weren't worried about losing anyone, and we had plenty of time to chip away at the rest of the enemies.

Yardrow, the Walled City

My bad luck in Grogh was made up for in spades here - I won on the first try despite still not being to my level 18 Speed point. The guest had Best compatibility to one of the Ninjas that was chasing her, and she one-hit KO'd him before he got a chance to attack. I lured one of the other two Ninjas to the wall, where he dropped in a hail of bullets. From there, all I needed to do was land a Sleep so I could get through the archway, and the remaining enemies didn't stand a chance against the heat my team was packing.

I have a trivial battle in the Yuguewood... and then it's go time. I bought Hermes Shoes and new hats for everyone, but I really think I'm going to need to stop and get from level 16 to 18 before I take on Riovanes Castle. I have a feeling that extra Speed point is going to be critical.

12. RHess00

Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    This is what I have so far.

Since my battles are always so long I've been switching jobs every battle. Not sure what skills I will need for end game so I figured I'd try to get as many as I can. I just need Mystic to get Arithmetician. I'll probably do that next then work on the Knight jobs.

My go to skills are Mettle for Tailwind and Focus, Teleport to avoid enemies, Auto Potion in case I don't avoid them, and JP Boost because I need to learn a lot of skills.

I love Teleport but is there a way to see the percentage chance of success?

Attached Files:

13. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Nope. You have to do the math manually. If you have the space for it, you can help yourself out by equipping Battle Boots or whatever other Move+1 accessories you have access to at the time (Germinas Boots, Red Shoes, etc).

14. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    So I'm in Monastary Vaults. Progressing some story :)

I got Onion Knight, is it good?

15. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    So Wiegraf might be a real challenge and I'm either beating him or I need to do all the other battles again.

Any strategy advise would be great!

16. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    And he's the reason I recommend keeping two different save files, haha. Tailwind like heck with Ramza until you're getting tons of turns for each of his.

17. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #77 falcon815, Oct 3, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    Wrong Wiegraf battle, I think - Winter9 just mentioned Monastery Underground, so I think they're a little before that one.

In Monastery Underground Level 1, you need to hit him hard and fast. Ditch any move+ accessories you have and replace them with things that boost your physical or magic attack power. Also, check your armors for the same type of boosts - you can afford to sacrifice a little bit of HP to do more damage quickly. I recommend attacks such as summons, Holy, or guns that can't be evaded. If you don't have any of those, the Mystic spell Invigoration (previously known as Life Drain) absolutely murders Wiegraf in this fight. All you have to do is hit him with that four times and he's toast.

18. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Onion Knight levels up for each 2 other jobs you have mastered. Basically, it's hot garbage until you get almost every other job in the game mastered, at which point it becomes the most overpowered class in the game.

19. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Thanks guys, will try again. :)

20. Dr.Traveler

Dec 10, 2008
    Even then it's not....great. Onion Knights with their gear become wrecking balls, but they get no commmand line options other than attack IIRC. I've played with them and I'm less than impressed.

Now, Dark Knight is overpowered as all get out, but by the time you get him you've probably found ways to break the game using your other characters.