The Nintendo DS thread!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Crazy_Possum, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Crazy_Possum

Crazy_Possum Well-Known Member

#1 Crazy_Possum, Oct 9, 2010
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
    Just like the Xbox 360 and PS3 threads, come here to talk about DS games you love, upcoming games, etc. But try to not make this thread all about the 3DS; for information about that, go here: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=57977.
    I'm currently playing Final Fantasy IV.

2. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    I haven't played my DS in a while, but last I remember, I was doing another runthrough of Ace Attorney Investigations. Fantastic game, and a great time holder until I can find a copy of Justice for All.

I'll probably pull out my DS later and try to play Resident Evil: Deadly Silence, Final Fantasy IV, and Custom Robo Arena later. Until then, I'll be playing through Ace Attorney Investigations again.

3. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    hi, cans someone explain to me the different DS models. i was given a box full of games.. and i think im gonna get a DS model.. but when i google to find a price there seem to be so many different models or maybe i miss understand the naming they use.

i know i do not want a DS 3d. so what DS model should i get?

chris.

4. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...3D. Seriously. I know you said you don't want it, but you can turn the 3D off and use it in 2D instead. The amount of great games coming out for it is insane, and it'll play all the old DS games too.

Otherwise, DSi XL.

5. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    If you're definitely not getting a 3DS (which would just be stupid), DS lite is probably the cheapest. Seeing as you have an iDevice, DSi Ware is almost useless. Plus, neither of the DSi models have GBA compatibility, which is a pretty big setback.

6. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    can the 3DS play gba games :D I feel like that's a dumb question, but am wondering

7. K.D!

K.D! Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    England
    Nope, like the DSi/XL it doesn't feature a GBA slot. The 3DS does feature a Virtual Console for GameBoy games though and there are rumours Nintendo will add GBA games too... though of course that'll mean having to pay for them again (hopefully for a small price).

8. SJP99

SJP99 Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2010
    Ipod Touch game player person like thing????
    11th dimension
    I bought the dsi one week after it came out. I liked it...then i got an ipod touch....have not touched my dsi since..so yeah.

9. Crazy_Possum

You're going to love Justice for all. The last case especially blew me away.
    Where are you in Final Fantasy IV? You might be ahead of me, so don't tell me in terms of events; tell me your geographical location in the game.

I still play the original DS, which has a GBA slot. I don't see how a DS Lite is any better, really. It doesn't have any extra features. That said, I do want to get the 3DS when it comes out - the virtual console downloads and the new games coming out look awesome.

10. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Pokemon all the way. Its still one of my favourite games ever even though I have not seen the show (is it still running) in ages. Its some addicting games even with the whole...."Avoid the grass, avoid the grass..... oh no not another fight." gotta love its persistence in coming back.

11. Crazy_Possum

Same here. Tomorrow, October 10th, go to Mt. Silver. Diamond dust should be there. I've never seen it, but I've read about it online; I think it was on Serebii.

12. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, the only reason I got a DS Lite was because my old DS broke. It's not a huge improvement, but it's a bit easier to carry around.

In Final Fantasy I got to some town in the middle of the desert, which I forgot the name of. I'm not too far, actually. I don't often make all that much progress in such games, although I'd really like to.

As for Justice for All, I made some progress but didn't beat the game. Unfortunately, I can't find most good DS games at Gamestop... I got lucky and found Final Fantasy IV while on vacation in PA. The only PW game aside from Trials and Tribulations I could find was Ace Attorney Investigations, which I got as soon as I could.

13. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Why didn't you just set your DS's calendar to tomorrows date already? Much easier than waiting all year for one event.

14. Crazy_Possum

Could it be Kaipo?

I've always worried that changing my DS's calendar around would mess up something. I'm not sure why. Doing that with a Pokemon game could really make things weird; imagine having a Pokemon now at level 100 that I caught next year at level 12.

15. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Maybe it was Kaipo... I'll play it later and get back to you on that. All I know is that a girl character (you should know if you're this far) is poisoned and I gotta fight some monster to get the antidote. Wow, what a stereotype.

16. Crazy_Possum

You may want to get Rydia a bit tougher before you do that, then. She can be just as important as Cecil if you give her a fair chance.

17. Somerandomdude

May 31, 2009
    Somewhere
    Yeah, but it's not like I can give her a chance. It's like she's wearing a sign that says "Attack Me!" or something.

I realized, though, that if you replace her default attack command with using the item Rod, her default weapon, it gives her a magic attack that uses 0 mp.

18. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    they're putting an emulator for it so you can download them off the market

19. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009

ok ill have to check into it. just did not think paying extra for something i probably wont use.. also the battery life is suppose to suck.. but again this is just what i have read about the 3d.. but ill see what happens, plan on getting one for christmas.. at my age the only thing i get at christmas is what i buy. heh. ho ho ho merry christmas!!

chris.

20. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    How long did the battery last on the DSi's and DS lites. I've been so used the horrible 4-5 hour ipod battery life that I can't even make an estimate.