iPad The NG:Moco Business Model: Games With Fewer Than Most LEVELS?

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by superbad, Dec 24, 2008.

1. superbad

superbad Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    CEO. Reviewer. Beta Tester.
    You need to stalk me?
    Topple = 9 levels
    Dropship = 18, with 4 DLC as of now
    Rolando = 35 levels

I'm not complaining regarding price in any way since the games are cheap anyway but their games are of some different caliber and it sucks that they have limited gameplay. :eek:

How do you feel about it? Thoughts?

2. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree. Their games are usually too short (yet very fun). Rolando is all right to me since it'll take me about five hours to finish, but I finished the first 16 levels of Dropship in under an hour. Topple didn't take me long either (maybe an hour or two).

I'd really prefer a computer based level editor on Dropship and Rolando and that will give the games so much more value!

3. arono

arono Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2008
    Sam's town
    That would be awesome it would make the games so much better tho they're all great right now

4. CloneWars

CloneWars Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Bank Robber
    Atlantic Ocean
    Yea it does kinda suck.
    I dont have rolando, but dropship and topple are pretty easy to beat

5. different

different Well-Known Member

Aug 8, 2008
    I think the pricing of Topple/Dropship reflects the length. You pay a buck for an hour or two of gameplay.

Rolando isn't as short, yes it has 36 levels, but you'll probably play through each at least twice to get all the achievements.

6. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I just beat Rolando the first go round, and its not overly short. Add more levels and the risk for bugs increases. A computer-based editor for Rolando (PC/Mac/Linux) where you can drag and select level features would be ideal. I saw something about 18 missing levels. If they add those, I'll be happy.

(They added another DLC level to Dropship?!)

7. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    I don't know, man. I feel betrayed, confused, defeated...Wait, that's how I always feel. What are we talking 'bout? Oh right, ah, ng:booger, well, the way I see it just as my father saw it is that [insert long story, completely irrelevant to topic]...

8. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, either yesterday or the day before. A level called 'touch to go'. It's the only downloaded level I've completed so far, much easier than the others.

9. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    And you say I have a hard time staying on topic... :p

10. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    It's just too damn quiet around hear. 'Tis the time for Christmas Trollin' fa la la la la la lal la la...

11. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    ngbooger haha edng! Im gonna lay off rolando for now unless it sees a price drop because i hear its pretty short

12. brewstermax

5 hours is short? Its more than the 2 that you get out of a movie for the same price or more. Its a great game, and you should in no way shy away due to length it is a plenty long game with lots of depth. Updates will bring more, but right now it is worth at least $20. Don't expect a price drop before WWDC.

13. brewstermax

And another called Rolando. I stopped playing to play Rolando, and so I missed both of those.

14. terrett101

terrett101 Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2008
    Yeah, the Rolando level came out the day of Rolando's release I think, there was a buzz on here because some people were getting it and some weren't. Can any devs explain how we are able to get new levels from them without updating through the app store? Other games like tanzen etc require proper updates to add new maps/levels/whatever you wanna call them.

15. brewstermax

How do we get new songs on TTR? Same way. They (the files, likely .plist or .txt) are downloaded from a server and interpreted game-side.

Tanzen could implement this, but it would be cumbersome. Much easier for Tanzen, with the tonnes of levels to just have regular updates.

16. rhcpdrummer

rhcpdrummer Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008
    aite ill take ur word for it and buy it
    cuz im goin on a 6 hour plane ride tomoro

17. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I doubt it has enough content for $20, but yes, it should last about five hours and it's definitely worth the $10.

PS have a nice flight. Longest flight I've been on is LA-Hong Kong. I think that was 16 hours. :) FUUUUN... not.

Merry Christmas too :)

18. brewstermax

Yes. Great game, and it will take just that the first go. If you go back and try to do all of the achievements, that will take even more time, which I am working on now. The joys of a nice plane ride to go see the family, how nice. ;)

19. VirtualAlex

VirtualAlex Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    WHAT are you talking about? 5 hours of gameplay is not SHORT in any way. It's insane to call it short.

It's also a bit of a waste of breath to say Topple is only 9 levels. Tetris is ONLY 10 levels. It's more of a "go for the high score" kind of game rather than a beat-me kind of game.

Length is the LAST thing on my mind when I am looking at a game. It's fun-factor, and polish. NG:Moco is excellent at that. There is not game MORE worth 9.99 than Rolando.

20. istopmotion

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    I agree, and I think there was just some confusion about the length of Rolando. Someone started another thread about being disappointed with the game because it only lasted 2.5 hours for him. Most people get at least five hours if they're not rushing, and you can get a lot more if you try to get the achievements. Make the game last and it'll be worth it :)

Rolando is a fantastic game, but I think it falls behind BIA and Hero of Sparta for me. Those are my top three $10 games though :p