iPad The Necronomicon Horror : Card Game - by Lucidsphere Media

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Nov 4, 2010.

1. ProfitOfDoom

ProfitOfDoom Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2010
    What causes the card game section to end?

2. Ouisch

Ouisch Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Just wanted to report that I've also come across the "active card staying on top and not disappearing" bug on an iPhone 3GS, un-jailbroken, whatever the latest firmware is.

I've only come across it once so far, and I think I might have noticed something about it. Normally, if I want to see the back of the card, I click the little icon to turn the card over, and normally when I want to turn the card back around and subsequently go out of the zoom view I hit almost the dead center of the card/screen. I noticed that the one time the card stayed active when the next card was drawn, I hit the zoomed in card a little low (probably right over where the draw deck button is), so it seems like the draw deck button (and maybe others) aren't deactivated in the card zoom view.

Since then, I've been consistently hitting the center of the screen to change views and haven't had the issue come up again (yet).

Besides that, no crash issues or anything, and I'm still really enjoying the game. :)

3. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #103 ojtitus, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    When the Cthulhu Tzolkin closes. Watch the icon in the lower left corner, as that closes up from drawing more investigators when your line up is already full or if you draw more horrors when their line up is already full then it starts to open up and you lose if it opens all the way.

4. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    Would the game play change too radically if AI controlled horrors and powerups as a separate deck? Or so you do not write AI code. Multiplayer with one player controlling horrors and the other investigators?

5. I also think one issue which may be causing the cards getting stuck on screen and some of the weird stuff like that is that there's multiple touch-sensitive zones all over, representing all the different cards and so forth, and when two zones are touched simultaneously or inadvertently the game sometimes reacts in weird ways, like its confused on how to interpret the gesture or something.. I don't understand exactly how these things work in a technical sense, but Slava's looking into it so we can fix it in an update. Thanks for your patience!

6. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    #106 ojtitus, Nov 4, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
    This is a intersting idea but it kind of breaks the current flow of the card game, since drawing extra horrors and investigators is how you win and lose the game. I would also like to be able to play as the horrors and the other side of the story.

7. Drakeer Melkhor

Drakeer Melkhor Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2010
    Freelance
    Spain
    It's just me or the board phase and the final battle are just lame and boring? I really don't get it, it's just about dice and random stuff, strategy 0. Message to devs: can you change the gameplay to just the deck phase, with a final battle with my hole army against a big boss? That could be cool.

On the other hand, the card phase is really exciting. Maybe too easy and not so that changelling to me, but it's a semi-clone of Dungeon Solitaire, but when a tie occurs instead of swap cards positions, you roll a dice. Not very exciting but it works.

The art, even with a non-retina game seems gorgeous. The game has right now tons of bugs, but as I can see in the previous link the devs are aware of most of them.

So I think the game worths the $2, but it needs a lot of work to be amazing.

8. twiccan

twiccan Well-Known Member

Feb 16, 2010
    The board game portion would not be so boring if there was more tension involved. If you really felt like you were racing the clock (in this game it would be the number of turns you have) to find all the items, and the enemies you ran into really slowed your progress significantly, then you would get that tension you feel in a typical Lovecraft story where they are desperately trying to stop evil forces from coming into this worold against all odds.

9. We believe we have a solution which should make both camps happy. We're going to continue to expand and innovate both the final battle and the board game phase as planned, to make them more challenging and add some more pitfalls and tension. So we're really listening to all your ideas and comments here. And we're also going to include an option where you can play just the card game phase, and skip the whole board game and final battle if you want to. I believe that'll be coming in the first update. I admit I was sort of torn between making version 1.0 too hard or too easy, and I think I made it too easy - although I have yet to see somebody unlock all 12 secret cards so far...

But rest assured, in the coming days we'll be thinking about all the different ways we can try to kill off all your Investigators and make it a true dark adventure in the Lovecraftian spirit!

10. Dannytime

Dannytime Member

Sep 22, 2010
    Did you guys take any inspiration from the Arkham Horror board game? I was a big fan of that one. I'll be purchasing this as soon as I settle into bed for the night, can't wait!

11. cherdman

cherdman Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2010
    Any plans for Retina?

12. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    Did anybody watch the new episode of South Park tonight. It talks about the Necronomicon and Cthulhu in it. Pretty funny coinsidence,

13. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    Hell ya! Mad funny episode! "Cthulhu needs a tummy rub doesnt he?"
    If i liked that episode should i get this?
    Also is Cthulhu in this app?

14. ojtitus

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio
    If you like the looks of the game and enjoy card games, I would think you will enjoy this game. The game is about fighting the forces that are trying to raise Cthulhu but he's not in the game like he's in South Park. I don't really want to spoil the game for you.

15. pgboy

pgboy Well-Known Member

Sep 4, 2010
    O..... No buy then if chtulah was in it i would defintley buy this!

16. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    #116 dyscode, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    That would mean LOSING ALL OFFLINE playability. THIS IS NOT AN MMORG!!!!Sever Side options are not acceptable with this one.
    BTW. you can hide offer different DLC in the both versions.

17. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    #117 olio, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
    Once you complete the card game and go to the Campus phase, and from there either press Back button in the Dice Roll screen or Exit button in the Explore screen, you go back to the starting screen. You can continue from there, but for a moment I thought I had lost my game :) Maybe have a text screen instead which informs you that the card game is won, but you still have some searching and battling to do.

Game actually plays way more logically if you finish the card game first. Actually so much better, that I'm starting to think that maybe it would be better that you can't enter the Campus until you've fought of the monsters. Especially when it seems that the card game (I wish there was a name for this, like the Campus and the Final Battle for the other parts of the game - heh, for example "the Struggle" :D) and the Campus don't interact with each others in any sort of way. Though if I'm mistaken in my assumption, please do correct me :)

Oh, one more thing: I don't see my turns anymore in the Campus once I go there after finishing the Struggle.

18. dyscode

dyscode Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Living
    World
    Yes, this would be logical.
    my +1

And I came across another bug:
    when dragging a card from the library to the `table` the cards just disappears from the table. But remains visible in the library stack.
    touching only calls the card up, like it´s done on the table.
    There is NOW WAY to drag that card.
    This make me loose the entire game and I had to restart.

Sorry Dustin & Slava but this game is a bug fest, close to unplayable in it´s current version! :(

19. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Couple of questions for the Campus:
    - If you find something in the room you're searching, you go back to the Dice Roll screen. From there if you choose explore, you can continue with the steps you had left from the dice roll, or if you roll the dice, you can do it without needing to press "End Turn" and thus probably avoiding harmful encounter. Are these two ways of action intentional?
    - If you've completed the Struggle and after your moving in the Campus press "Exit", you go to the Main Menu. If you now continue from there, you go to the Dice Roll screen where you can roll without needing to press "End Turn" and thus probably avoiding harmful encounter, and you also start from the Libraby, thus probably saving some rolls. Is this intentional?

Couple of suggestions for the Campus at its current state:
    - Step indicator for remaining steps you have left from your roll.
    - Clearer routes. Now it's hard to which room can be entered from where by just looking at the board.
    - Change starting place to something else than library, or make your investigator auto-search it, as now you have to step out of Library and then back in to search it. Illogical :)

20. olio

olio Well-Known Member

May 5, 2010
    Hmm, I wonder if all my jumping back and forth between the game and the main menu made it so that I didn't get a high score in my last game. MY certificate also had nothing but zeroes in it. Off to try again :)