iPad The Necronomicon Horror : Card Game - by Lucidsphere Media

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Nov 4, 2010.

1. vklymenko

vklymenko Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Lead programmer/Producer
    Europe
    when hero dies - if he has more lifes then 1 - he will be returned to deck with -1 life. And totally removed from deck/current game session when 0 lifes.

fixed, will appear in nearest update on Halloween (its only visual issue, not logic)

feature of auto-saving last entered name will be added in a future update, and currently whatever you'll enter - its just for you local highscores table, its not affecting any GameCenter names. When you're log in into GameCenter once on startup - its connecting your all GameCenter's data, including name (nickname), that will be used later to highlight you in GameCenter's leaderboards.

2. Artfoundry

Artfoundry Well-Known Member

May 11, 2009
    COO and Creative Director at LCD Dreams, Inc.
    Bay area, CA
    Ahh ok, thanks.

3. The Father of Modern Horror...

Here you are, some Halloween wallpaper for any Lovecraft fans out there!

[​IMG]

4. Messire

Messire Member

Oct 19, 2011
    My feedback after a few plays:

- No more crashes. Yeah!!! :) Ok, there are some rare crashes on the diploma screen.

- New engine, new twists with the spells. Definitely improved game.

- Way too easy. I never lost once. The Mythos, what a joke! ;)

- Its complete absence of difficulty is related to the expanded Cemetary. There are now 2 spaces. I can therefore look up the cards, move them between the two spaces and select the one I need. The Cemetary should be only one space.

- I never use Allies once they appear; I send them to the Cemetary and wait for the best ones. At least, till I noticed their protection bonus:

- When I play Allies on empty slots (no Investigator), it protects me and my (future) Investigators from Hazards / Chance (different names in the app and Arkham PI). They can be placed only on Investigators or empty slots. So they are sent to the Cemetary and never enter play. Is it normal ?

- Too many Allies and Hazards. There are 6 locked Investigators and 5 locked Allies. At the start of the game (no unlocked card), there are 13 Investigators, 16 Allies and 17 Hazards. I would lock some Hazards and Allies to unlock them automatically when an Investigator is unlocked. But this problem may not exist with 1 space Cemetary.

- Could the titles (Bachelor of Arts, ...) be added to the high score page ? They're really a good idea.

- I miss the small boardgame. It was too easy and a bit too repetitive but it added a narrative element to the game. I thought that this part would be kept and improved.

- I really miss the final combat. It was a battle of dice rolls but there was suspense. Seeing a Defense value that represented the team of Investigators, by adding the Defense values of all surviving Investigators, was a really great idea. It changed from game to game (if you managed to close the gate) and helped to "individualize" each game. Each game was different. And even with a good team, you could lose the game. It also helped to conclude the story.

5. rshkhsee

rshkhsee Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Blashyrkh
    It is awesome without the text at the bottom...is there a copy like that somewhere?

6. Necronomicon Redux

[​IMG]

Necronomicon Redux will be available on the App Store when October 31st hits your time zone!

For those of you with the current version who'd like to upgrade to the HD version I'm setting the price at 0.99 cents for a limited time--so if you want a version for the iPad or Retina Display now's a good time to purchase it.

Also be sure to check out my website for a revised tutorial and information on our first IAP expansion for the game, "Investigator Resources".

http://www.lucidspheremedia.com

Thank you all, and Happy Halloween!

7. vklymenko

Jun 23, 2010
    Lead programmer/Producer
    Europe
    #667 vklymenko, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    Happy Halloween from me too! As a gift Im happy to announce that current game version is also updated to 1.3 with polishes and IAP included ! (both redux and current will come on appstore on 31st)

8. Espekayen

Espekayen Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    Hertfordshire, UK
    Guys, that is great news. Would you mind clarifying exactly what the difference is between Necronomicon and Necronomicon Redux? I think the only difference between them is that NR supports retina display and that there is no additional content. Is that right? Is it worth me purchasing NR if I have an iPhone 4?

Also, I have noticed that some people (myself included) have posted questions in this thread relating to the rules. This tells me that perhaps the current tutorial/instructions need updating as they are not extensive enough. I appreciate you have updated your website with a revised tutorial, but I am a strong believer in not having to consult an external source for game instructions; I think it should all be included in-app.

9. There's no difference between Redux and the current version except Redux backgrounds, menu's, ect. are of a higher resolution (960x640) on the iphone4, than on older devices which support only 480x320. If you have an iPhone4 and you already have the game, I'd say it probably looks fine already.

However, on the iPad, there's a dramatic difference, where you'll be able to play full screen at 1024x768 instead of the iPod's 480x320 sized graphics blown up 2x to fill the iPad's screen. There's a definite difference there.

The tutorials have been revised and updated in the game also (both versions), and that should be available in the next 24 hours. If something is unclear I'll also try to add it to future updates with fixes as needed.

Thanks!

10. ojtitus

ojtitus Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2010
    Male
    Canton, Ohio

Necronomicon Redux

Necronomicon Redux is a single-player role-playing card game of arcane horror and mystery--Redux is upgraded with HD gra…
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Necronomicon Redux is a single-player role-playing card game of arcane horror and mystery--Redux is upgraded with HD graphics and supports iPad 1 & 2 and Retina Display devices.

!!!NECRONOMICON REDUX is ON SALE FOR 0.99 CENTS FOR A LIMITED TIME!!!

*** Visit www.lucidspheremedia.com/Necronomicon/necronomicon.html for Game Tutorial ***

Featured by Apple under Games - Adventure/Role-Playing: What's Hot/New & Noteworthy categories on the App Store.

ToppApp Charts:

Ranked Top #8 in Role-Playing Games worldwide on App Store!
    Ranked Top #24 in Adventure Games worldwide on App Store!
    Ranked Top #121 in Top Games worldwide on the App Store!

DESCRIPTION:

During a game, players take on the roles of investigators in an attempt to thwart the evil machinations of a sinister cult who have stolen the Necronomicon from Miskatonic Universities library, and have used it to open the gateway to another dimension.

The Necronomicon Horror combines the quick, addictive pace of fantasy card games, combined with the dice-rolling strategy of table-top role-playing games. You can win achievements in the game to unlock new bonus content, and there will be support for downloadable expansions in the future.

Grab your electric torches and revolvers! You’ll take on the role of unlikely investigators swept up in a battle against cosmic horrors. With the help of allies, weapons, forbidden knowledge, strategy, and a few twists-of-fate, you’ll attempt to stop the minions of Cthulhu from invading our world.

The Necronomicon Horror features over 100 beautifully designed cards--created by a ‘dream team’ of talented artists who have worked for some of the biggest movie, book publishing, and game studios in the world.

The Necronomicon Horror will contain the following key features:

* An evolving game setting based on the pulp horror fiction of H.P. Lovecraft.
    * Hours of game play – a different game and outcome every time you play.
    * Outstanding artwork and production values. Play with a deck of over 100+ stunning cards.
    * The fast-paced, addictive game play of RPG and Collectible Card Games, play on-the-go, anywhere!
    * Free Bonus Content can be unlocked during the game. Expand your deck by winning new cards.

The Necronomicon Horror is a solo player adventure designed to be played in quick, sanity-bending intervals. During a typical game you’ll play using an 100+ card deck, drawing various investigators, monsters, treasures, weapons, relics, pitfalls, story cards, and special ability cards, which are all scripted to interact with each other in strategic ways. Your goal is to keep your investigators alive to defeat a Monster invasion which threatens all of Arkham.

Like most trading card and role-playing games, the outcome is driven by an exciting interplay of chance, skill, and strategy.

Players will have the option of purchasing future booster decks to expand the game, and ‘collect’ new and rare cards by winning achievements and high scores.

Lucidsphere Media Games Studio developed The Necronomicon Horror as an innovative way to experience the compulsive fun of horror role-playing and collectible card games on Apple's iOS devices.
    Information
    Seller:
    Genre:Adventure, Role Playing
    Release:Oct 31, 2011
    Updated:Nov 30, -0001
    Version:
    Size:0.0
    TouchArcade Rating:Unrated
    User Rating: (3)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Necronomicon Redux is out, also I created a thread in the ipad section.

11. currymutton

currymutton Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Thanks for the heads-up. I think I am buying anyway... Is there an update for existing version?

12. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I got the Redux and IAP, and the new version does look great on my iPod Touch 4th Gen! I do need to figure out how to properly use the expansion pack cards now, but the game has come a long way since its first iteration (although I admit I do miss the board game portion).

13. Thanks, and remember to check the backs of the new Resource cards, they will tell you what other cards to try them on--which will unlock new cards for use during the game.

But, there are 3 cards in the Resource category (Cultes Des Ghouls, Book of Eibon, Book of Gates) which only give a hint of which Investigators to try them out on. A clue can be found in the back side of the Resource card, and in 3 of the Investigators occupations. So you might have to experiment with trial and error before figuring it out--or wait for somebody else to come along and post it.

TIP: When you get a Resource cards that's a book, you'll want to try it out on one of your more scholarly type Investigators.

Also, a few of the Investigators which the Resource cards work with need to be unlocked in the game via high scores...

14. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I noticed the hints on the cards, but in my first game (which I snuck in between bouts of paper-writing for class tomorrow) I didn't get a chance to use them.

I also noticed that some of the game mechanics have changed since the pre-update (shame on me for having not played since the non-redux version was updated, I know, but what can I say--I was waiting for the redux!) which allow the player to move cards more freely into/out of the discard piles. I actually need to figure this out to make best use of the game's mechanics first of all.

Even still, the game is just a blast and once I work everything out again I'm sure it'll be a lot more rewarding still. Great work guys, and thanks for the cheap intro price for Redux! I will be buying all IAP expansions for sure, and hopefully this stuff is a smashing success for you, although I know that you guys are doing it more than anything for a love of the game. :)

15. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

May 12, 2009
    Hey guys, I need help.
    I played this game a lot on my 2.gen Ipod touch and after I saw the Update + the redux version for my new 4.gen I was really happy. But somehow both versions keep crashing. I open the game, and right after a second it crashes back to the homescreen.
    Ipod touch 4g iOS 5( <--- I hope this isn't the problem...)

16. vklymenko

Jun 23, 2010
    Lead programmer/Producer
    Europe
    Hi Mantis, try to restart device, often it is a solution. iOS device like PC - if you're using for a long time without restarting - it can works slower or stuck.
    I see medianotzu has also ipod touch 4th and he said it works good, so first of all it needs to try to restart device, then try to run the game 2-3 times

17. Mantis

Mantis Active Member

May 12, 2009
    I've done this often today and it doesn't work even after I hardresetted(?) my device.
    And no I haven't jailbroken it.
    WTH, it suddenly worked! ok, NOW I am confused. :confused:
    How is that possible?...
    Anyway: Great Game and Update. :)

18. Messire

Messire Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Played a game with 1.3 and it crashed when I clicked on the diploma screen (high score lost).

Bought the expansion. Makes the game more difficult (good!) because of the new cards.

Cultes des Ghouls should be named Cultes des Goules.
    Flavor text says History book of Arkham Witch Cult. Cultes des Goules is a (fictitious!) book published in France early 18th century, on ghouls, necromancy and French witch covens.

I wouldn't use photos for the art (Thug card) as it's not coherent with Necronomicon great art so far.

So far, a good expansion even though I've not been able to use one of the puzzle card. But my game is not finished. Back to the game.:)

19. Messire

Messire Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Finished my second game, the one after I bought the expansion.

- Crashed after clicking on the diploma, but this time there was the animation with the doors closing just before the crash. The high score was not lost.

- If a character has "too many" icons, such as Ally, Weapon, Hazard and Potion, the decimal is lost (18 becomes 8). The maximum hit displayed is really useful.

- Puzzle cards : the cards where it can be used to unlock them are not highlighted. You have to use the clues indicated in the flavor text. Now I understand the Arkham reference in the Cultes des Goules. :) But I'll remove Arkham nonetheless to use this card with another Investigator.

- The Soul collector killed many Investigators, probably 10. He was eventually defeated by the Avenger, a fitting name for this situation. And even more satisfying was the fact that this Avenger is an unlocked card. :)

- So far, I've got the Avenger, Summon Ghoul and Summon Nightgaunt. Bodybag was not unlocked when I placed it on an Investigator with Reanimate, so maybe it must be placed on the Reanimate card alone.

- I finished the game with 2 cards left in the deck. 48 victories, 29 defeats, 149 050. Great fun.

Necronomicon is more fun, more enjoyable.
    Great new cards with great art (except for the photo art of the Thug).
    The expansion is highly recommended as it improves the game a lot.

20. spyky

spyky Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2010
    I bought this when it first came out (1.99 wasn't it?), didn't play it due to the bugs, and now the universal version is out at 99c! (i own an ipad >_>)

Just felt like ranting, not too big deal, it's just 99c after all! Hopefully it'll be more successful this launch.