Universal The Mesh (by Creatiu Lab)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CreatiuLab, Jul 8, 2015.

1. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    A Zen mode would definitely fit with the theme!

2. paulkane

paulkane Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2012
    Library automaton
    Denver
    I've been intrigued with this since I saw all the GoTW noms roll in. Watching some videos of the trailer and gameplay have left me wanting to play The Mesh, but I will have to wait for my next iPad...

3. orangebowl

orangebowl Active Member

Jul 11, 2015
    I have to admit this game has great artstyle and very neat presentation

4. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    #44 y2kmp3, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
    CreatiuLab,

Can you please comment whether or not it is always possible to win the game with "perfect play" each time? Previous posts have suggested a strategy to sacrifice some tiles because inability to match target tile perfectly. However, I want know if this situation arises because the player has made an "error" or "unintended" choice prior and that the situation would not have arisen if the player had made the "correct" choice.

As well, between games and between "levels", are the tiles given "randomized" so that the start state is not always fixed? If this is the case, does the game pre-computed all subsequent tile assignments to ensure that there is no deadend even if the player is able to play the game perfectly?

In other words, I like to how a lot more about how tiles are assigned and which numbers appear. The entire process is a black box to me at the moment. :)

PS: Also don't quite get the save system. If I exit to the main menu, is my current game lost?

5. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    That's a good question, but I think it would be more interesting and enjoyable for us as players to figure out than for the devs to reveal.

6. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    You raised a good point. ;)

Having this said, the way I phrased my questions actually already hinted at what I already observed and conjectured about the tile associations. However, these are mere observations that could lead to an unsubstantiated theory at most. The answer can only be truly given by the developer who knows how these tiles are programmed.

7. cub656

cub656 Well-Known Member

May 12, 2015
    the toilet

8. CreatiuLab

CreatiuLab Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2014
    #48 CreatiuLab, Jul 12, 2015
    Yes, a Zen mode without any timers and a separate leaderboard could be great. That's a great suggestion.
    Thank you!

We don't want to get into to much detail on this, but let's just say the numbers given are "controlled random" :)
    We think the game is more fun if you don't know exactly every detail

But like several of you said:
    - The "x2" and "/2" give you a lot more possibilities and combinations
    - If you lose some cells, that's not a problem at all. One of the cool things is that you can recover them back later

About the save system:

If you exit to the main menu, it's like you are exiting the game, so the previous state is not saved. But if you just close the app while you are playing, when you want to keep playing later, the game starts where you left
    Does this make sense?

9. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Thanks, CreatiuLab.

This is one of the critical "black box" points I want to clarify. There is AT LEAST ONE CASE where I observed that a particular number assignment was beatable ONLY BECAUSE I had a "x2" tile at hand to use. However, this "x2" tile became into existence ONLY because I had played a number with a "x2" bonus to earn that tile. Had I not earned this bonus tile, I would have NOT been able to successfully beat that level (that is, no chance of winning). Therefore, I want to know if the game is aware of this and changes the number assignment accordingly. Can you comment?

On a similar vain, is it ALWAYS possible to beat a particular number assignment WITHOUT ever using the "?" tile? As the values of the "?" tiles are hidden from the player, if the game must rely on using these tiles, then the game's mechanics is "no longer" deterministic from the player's perspective (that is, player does not have perfect information to solve a level).

10. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    #50 bacon-N-eggs, Jul 12, 2015
    Great game, dig the mechanics of the gameplay. I do agree with a few others here, don't care for the timed and dark boards at all. This feels more like a chill out puzzle game, the timed boards throw unnecessary stress into gameplay experience.

Doesn't ruin the game totally, it's just jarring and doesn't add anything IMHO. I can understand feeling the need to change things up a bit, but sometimes less is more.

Please consider adding a zen mode, peaceful mode or something of the sort... So we can have an option to play this wonderful puzzler sans the fun sucking rush/blind puzzles.

I've also combined a few wrong titles and had to start over again because the tiles join as soon as you swipe. Totally user error yes, but maybe consider not making the joint happen until our fingers lift off the screen. Caught myself a few times too late, user error for sure but I don't feel it would change the game too much and would add a smoother less frustrating experience. Again just a small suggestion :)

11. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
    #51 CreatiuLab, Jul 13, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2015

We already started working on this, so Zen Mode without timers is coming!:)

As we said (without revealing every detail ;)):

It's up to you to decide if you want to use the "x2" tile or better save it for a future round. Sometimes it's better to reduce everything to zero or even lose 1 cell and later build back.
    The system is aware of what is going on but there isn't only one right solution. There are several right options, it depends on your game strategy.

The "?" tile is in the game for the same reason. Depending on how you are playing you may want to change a certain number.
    Like when you are playing cards you may what to replace a card if you don't like the cards you have.

12. y2kmp3

y2kmp3 Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2010
    CreatiuLab,

Thank you for your reply.

Must admit that, as a player, I am ambivalent about the deliberate secrecy in how the tiles and numbers are allocated.

Borrowing your example of card playing. Obfuscating the rules behind how tiles and numbers are allocated is akin to hiding the rules of the card game itself. While it is true that the player may not know (that is, having perfect information) about the upcoming cards, it is entirely different (and unfair) if the player is also unaware of the game's shuffling rules (how are the cards shuffled? are the used cards being replaced with each play or each shuffle? etc.). This is especially true when the player is not asking a blanket question about the game but a specific rule on how the game is played (as it is in my case).

Regardless, it is an interesting debate and a good example that highlights the differences in perspective between player and developer.

13. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    And player. I am definitely a fan of intricate game mechanics not being overtly explained to the player at every step. There's some magic to figuring out how a game works, even if the evidence to do so must be collected over hours and hours of runs. It's why games like the Souls series work.

14. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    #54 ShinHadoukin, Jul 15, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
    Creatiulab you are awesome! Great game & talking to the gamers here is much appreciated!

I think the blackout& bomb changes are awesome! I would love to see each of those as modes too. Maybe, how many dark puzzles can you solve in a time period. When you complete one it goes to another & maybe adds 5 seconds. Same with bomb mode. So there would be the regular game, "zen mode" with no timer stuff, dark mode & bomb mode!!!

However, what I would love to have more than even new modes would be instant save when you quit! Be able to exit the game & it save right where you are. Please consider :)

Thanks!!!!!

15. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    It does instant resume for me. I can exit the app and come back a day or two later and pick up where I left off, even if the app has been clearer from multi-tasking memory.

16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

[​IMG]

[thread=259448][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265993][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265930][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265908][​IMG][/thread] [thread=266079][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265913][​IMG][/thread] [thread=265929][​IMG][/thread]

The Mesh

[​IMG]

is one of the nominees for

Touch Arcade Forums' Game Of The Week

July 9th, 2015

VOTE HERE

***PLEASE NOTE***

1) Developers, publishing partners, or affiliates cannot vote for their own games. If your game is in the poll, you can't vote for it. You are free to ask TA forum posters in your game release thread to vote for your game... but please don't post multiple messages about it.
    2) This voting is for TA members with some activity. If you have to ask someone to create a new account to vote, you're doing it wrong.
    3) Suspect votes may be void.

Credit to AndyC83 for GotW logo

17. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Well, that appears to be true. If I just minimize the app & swipe it away, when I open the game again it has my place. If you hit the top left button & choose HOME you lose your game. Good to know!!! Thank you!!!! It would still be nice to save/quit.

18. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
    Hey, thank you for including The Mesh as a GotW candidate. :)

I like the idea of the different modes. Next week we will have the Zen Mode ready. After that, let's talk about the other modes:)

About the save option: right now you can do what mr_bez suggests, and the game state is saved.
    But a button where you actually click might also be an option.

Thank you for the suggestions!

19. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
  20. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    An interesting and unique idea, but it didn't hold my interest for very long. I'm glad to have supported the developer with the $1.99 but wonder if the price is a little high. Interest killers - randomness which at times negates skill and having to play from the start EVERY time.