Universal The Mesh (by Creatiu Lab)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by CreatiuLab, Jul 8, 2015.

1. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #21 Qwertz555, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Congrats on your score, you really are coming back to this pearl. Last time i checked my new best 67, you had 115.

The water effect are almost hidden behind your finger when you're playing, so no problems here, too.

Lovely nice and hidden feature:
    don't start the game, simply turn the tiles like a wheel to both sides

Would be nice to have some animation for all the animals, specially that beautiful dragon.

Edit: wow you're on 131 now...btw, do you see the changing S on the menu screen THE MESH? Mine changes between S and 5 (unlocked animals)...yours should be at 9 around?

2. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    The clickwheel on the menu was one of the first things I noticed, just a consequence of owning iPods for nearly a decade I guess!

3. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Thanks guys. Completely missed that. I spotted the S/5 but it still shows 5 for me.

4. CreatiuLab

CreatiuLab Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2014
    #24 CreatiuLab, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    We know it's a bit hidden but we really like the simplicity of the wheel, like the original iPod :)

[​IMG]

The "S" - "5", shows always 5...it's like the letter "morphs" into a number
    But I like what you are suggesting, showing the animal you've reached. I think we will add this feature in the next update :)
    Thank you guys!!

5. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
  6. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Bought this yesterday. It is beautiful and challenging. I like how the tiles squish into each other.

I wasn't crazy about the lights out round. I found it needlessly stressful so early on. I do love a challenge, but I guess my personal preference is to just solve difficult puzzles rather than to do so at a frantic pace.

And, as always, I wish sound effects were separated from the music. No matter how nice the score, eventually, I will always want a break.

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Wow, that's a beautiful trailer!

8. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Yep. It's fantastic. Really captures the feel of the game, too.

9. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    I played so many rounds now, and it seems that sometimes i can't get a perfect solution (brain's starting to smoke). The goal would be then to lose as little tiles as possible. Is that so, or am i only lacking skills?

Also that not beloved "?". I still don't have a clue when to bring it into play the best. It's so random what i get. Maybe i should ignore it, but is there any algorhythm rule to that "?" ?

Oh, and that video is late but awesome.

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    There's definitely not a perfect solution every time. Remember that you don't have to make the total every time. Sometimes it's better just to net off to zero and hope for a better set of numbers next time, and it's always good to hold on to a spare 'x2' tile or two for the next round if you can.

With the '?' tiles, I prefer to ignore them if I know I can use all my tiles without them. Otherwise I prefer to match them at the start of a round when I've got more options available to use them. And if I've got two I'll often pair them with each other so I get less surprises.

Best tip I can give is to take your time over each move! I've lost so many tiles because I swiped the wrong tiles together.

11. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
    In 95% of the game you can take your time and think everything through. This is really key for us, we want the player to be able to pick up the game were he left it, play 10min,...
    Once in a while you get to play the special rounds, but they are not core of the gameplay.
    We think that this rounds are nice because they add some diversity and depth to the gameplay. But we didn't want them to be very hard. Challenging yes, but not impossible hard.
    In fact one month before releasing the game the light / dark mode had only 10 seconds. And it was completely fine playing with just 10 seconds, this rounds (because you don't play very often this rounds). But we thought that is was much better to give the player much more time to get used to the mechanics, so we decided to give 30 seconds of light instead of just 10.
    Don't let the timer fool you, it's plenty of time. ;)
    Just kidding!:)
    I'm not a math freak but I've got to say that the more you play the better you get. The numbers are always low, so it never gets reaaally hard.
    You just need some practice. I guess this happens with a lot of things, but I'm impressed how my brain now sees the different combinations in seconds.
    My brain even starts to join the numbers of a number plate when I see a car on the street hahaha

Great tips!! Definitely the "x2" tile is key. Only use it if you really need to
    And take your time;)

12. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Thanks!

Yes, i'm aware of the "leaving with zero and get new numbers". But also this seems not to work always, imho, sometimes i'm forced to have a minimal tile loss. Can you/Dev confirm this too?

Great tip to pair the "?", i didn't even think to try that out, thanks.

My mistake comes from having the solution, but i forget to double tap before i mix them...and a good run is destroyed. Yep, take your time buddy.

A big LOL to only 10 seconds and what a big relief to not have this very short time in the actual game. In my case, the bomb timer should have more secs. My very weak point, specially later in the game with bigger end-numbers.

The more i play (and revealing little secrets like the tiles-only wheel etc.) the more i was wrong with "this is not my GOTW"...maybe.
    Tough decision between three equal addicting games this week.

13. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Just made it to 200 and unlocked the last animal. Then my game ended.

Is it not possible to play past 200? :(

14. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Congrats on reaching 200! I've been deliberately trying to not play the game so I can keep it fresh for myself, playing other games while all I want to do is just add and subtract more numbers :D

15. HJJ

HJJ Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Fair points, dev. :)

It is a beautiful game. I do appreciate the thought that went into it :)

16. CreatiuLab

Feb 3, 2014
    Congrats on reaching 200! We liked the idea of having an end, so the player challenges himself to reach it.

We wanted also to check if you guys like it (and I guess you do:)), so don't worry, updates are coming. The game is designed to be much longer:)

If you have got suggestions / ideas or something you would like to change / see, just let us know!!

Congrats again!! Reaching 200 is not easy!!:)

17. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Made it to 200 on my first run back! What a journey that was. The game makes for some great stories, like losing 6 cells on one level and building back to nearly full then losing 3 cells to risk!

I never got to see what happens with the Megabomb, I always just reduced my loss to 1 or 0. Is a Megabomb just a bomb that is on a high number?

18. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    I love the music so much I tracked down a CAF decoder for fb2k :D Great for listening to while reading.

19. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I think it's just like a normal bomb but with more tiles and '?' tiles.

20. lena

lena Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2011
    I like this. The graphics are wonderful and I like the mechanics. Sadly the timed levels ruin the game for me :( And I even like other timed math games (Nozoku Rush was one of my GOTY when it came out). I think I am either in the mood for a timed puzzler or not, but I don't like the mix. If I'm doing really well, it's not fun to have a timer end a good run.
    Since the devs said they aren't done with game and asked for suggestions: I would love a timerless mode.