The March 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Lunar Silver Star Story Touch

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Mar 2, 2017.

1. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    The saving.. Having the same issue. Actually I don't think It saves when I want to at all. It seems to autosave when I go from one screen to the next, or maybe it saves, but won't save twice at the same time so I don't notice? Either way if anyone knows that would be helpful. Getting used to fighting now. The set up for this gamenis anlittle bit different and probably why I didn't get far earlier. I really want to though!

2. abin

abin New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    "Don't you know they're made from my sh..." so good.

3. theonetruejm

theonetruejm Active Member

Feb 27, 2014
    I'm in. Starting today!

4. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I am having a lot of crashing issues and I have only just begun. I have crashed 3 times and lost all my progress on the first ice cave. Any suggestions?

5. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I've had 3-4 crashes so far and they didn't appear to have any commonalities. One crash was on launch, another was immediately after using a fast transport item. What device and OS are you running?

6. Tonk Montana

Tonk Montana Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Grr. Frustrating. I am on an Air2 and the latest OS. Oh well, guess we will just have to save every few battles just in case. -_-

7. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Turning in for the day. Made some more progress - we had a close call in the fire dungeon (level 24 all around), largely winning thanks to Defense Up spells causing Alex to only take as much damage from physical attacks as he was regenerating thanks to Divine Litany. Thankfully, the monsters in the fire cave drop healing items like crazy.

From there, we trekked to Lyton and fixed their musical issues. Tough crowd (attached).

Still having money problems. I'm at least one town behind on equipment, but I'm getting by thanks to splurging on two Wisdom pendants back in Vane, which is doing wonders for my AOE magic damage.

Spoilerish territory ahead. Nothing super-serious, just some character observations for now.

First off, I love how Ghaleon is portrayed the first time you meet him. I've been around the Lunar bend, so it's hard to remember what I thought of him the first time I saw him, but he seems genuinely like a reserved, cultured fellow who would be worth getting to know. Kind of makes me think about an "in an alternate universe, we could have been friends" situation.

Speaking of friends, good Lord, I'd forgotten how outright hostile these party members can be to each other. Even putting aside Kyle and Jessica being exes, it's been a pretty feisty band of characters for what seems to be regarded as a light, fluffy, by the numbers game. Only Mia has refrained from taking cheap shots at the other party members; yes, even Alex gets into the game with a passive-aggressive shot at Nash in the puzzle tower. I can't say I blame them for some of the intra-party tension - Nash in particular is meant to be annoying, which is why a later event is going to be so, so satisfying - but man, these people won't give each other a break.

Attached Files:

8. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    #48 falcon815, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
    Took a pause in Lyton for about 45 minutes to gain some levels before pushing forward. The water cave has been the easiest dungeon so far. Every battle was over within 1 round, and Mia never even got a turn. I set up an AI of Electroshower / Flash Cut and kept cycling through the first couple of screens for some easy levels and money. Entered the dungeon at level 26, came out at 31 and with a good reserve of money.

A note for those who like backstory - make sure to talk to the character at the end of the lake cave in Lyton, he has somewhere between 8 and 10 extra lines of dialogue, some of which fill in story gaps / details you may miss otherwise.

9. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    Nice tip!

I finished up the Ice Cave and am on my way to new adventured. The combat is going much better and the characters are growing on me. I actually chuckled a few times already which is unusual for me.

10. abin

abin New Member

Nov 19, 2015
    Yep same for me. Did not expect some of the humour to be so sharp. If I played this as a 12yo I'd be rolling on floor laughing.

11. Rabendoppel

Rabendoppel Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Here we start again, folks...

I enjoyed the first trial, even though my dancing skills could be better. Which would have saved me a lot of going to and from, but on the other hand gave me some extra experience. :)

Made it as far as Saith and nearly out again, everyone at level 14.

But then they had to show off and got into an unfortunate fight with confused tactics.
    Didn't find the emergency door - or the liferaft... Don't know what would have been more useful in that situation.
    Anyway, the adventure took an unfortunate turn and hit an unhappy end.
    Game over. :eek:
    I was so surprised that I even forgot to take a screenshot...

Which would be fine, if I had figured out how to save anything beforehand.
    I must admit that until now I have not tried too hard - I'm not usually a great fan of clouds, and rarely have my IPad online.
    So how does this work? :confused:

Don't think I'll be playing this for long if I always have to start from scratch...
    Just think of all the experience you loose when you know where you are going and how to get there! ;)

12. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Click the left overlay button to open the menu. Then, click the top button with the icon of a planet and its moon. There's the save / load menu.

13. Krötenbändiger

Krötenbändiger Active Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jan 6, 2017
    ice_dragon.jpg

Well, I'm on the way now. Adventure awaits! After having met the nice Dragon, the party left their home village and got lost in the woods. The cut scenes appear a little bit fuzzy, audio levels vary between different scenes, movement control could be better. But all in all everything seems to be working fine. I'm still trying to find out how best to control the action during the battles. To me, the AI seems a lot more artificial than intelligent. That's why I use either tactics or individual commands. Oh, and I have figured out how to save, which, I have to admit, needs a bit getting used to. No usability awards for that part of the GUI from me either, I guess.

goodbye.jpg

As I'm still distracted by the fabulous MUL.MASH, my starting pace will be a little bit slow. Hopefully I can save Uruk and achieve the "all clear" soon.

14. Rabendoppel

Rabendoppel Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Thank you! I have solved my saving difficulties.

Actually, I did find the save/load menu right at the beginning. But it did not work - and I thought it was because I had switched off the cloud.
    Who would think that simple double click does the job?
    But then again, I'm still struggling with the action control in all the shops, too. The GUI is definitely not idiot proof (and I would know! :rolleyes:)

Nearly back where I was, as predicted several levels below my stats last time. :( They are all at level 11 this time.
    I'll save before I go in so I can try different tactics this time :)

15. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Done in just a hair over 20 hours, a good 30+ minutes of which was the final boss. Could have slid in under 20 hours if I'd not gone for a couple of achievements. Bit hairy at level 51, but we had enough items to pull it out.

Not much time to type now. I might offer some more thoughts later, or chime in as others get further along. This was at least my fifth time through Lunar 1 (Sega CD, 2x on the PS1, GBA, and now iOS), so I was already super familiar with the game and its trappings. For now, I'll step back and keep an eye on the thread to see how the rest of you are progressing.

Attached Files:

16. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    does this game tell you how long you been playing?

17. Winter9

Feb 1, 2011
    How are you able to post pictures? My app won't let me. I post on twitter, but would have been nice to post here too.

My party reached the sea yesterday. I'm liking it more and more. It takes time getting used to the ui, but once you do it's fine.

18. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I couldn't find a timer in-game, but there's a GameCenter leaderboard for completion time.

19. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    When I tried to post raw screenshots, the TA website gave me a "size error". It didn't specify whether that was a problem with file size or picture dimensions. I'm guessing file size. When I crop the pictures just slightly in Photos, they get converted from PNG to JPG and they post just fine. Didn't have this problem with FF1..

20. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    OK, now that I have a little more time to type, here are some of the strategies I used to get through the game.

Early Game Random Battle Note

Sleep status is your friend. Make liberal use of Luna's all-enemies Sleep spell and see which enemies it works on. Some monsters are resistant or immune to sleep, but it's worth trying out.

General Boss Strategy

Both of your major physical attackers end up with spells that boost their own attack power. One of your mages also gets an attack up spell. These buffs do stack, but there's a limit to how far you can boost your attack. You can use a total of two attack boosts on each character within the same battle. If the character is KO'd and revived, the attack boosts go away and you have to re-cast them. In general, it's a good idea to double up on the attack boosts during boss fights, as the bosses in this game can be a little tough at times.

One of your mages also gets a defense boost. Same story - you can only cast it twice on the same character before the returns start diminishing.

General Equipment Strategy - no story spoilers

Most of this is pretty obvious. Maximize Attack on Kyle, Wisdom on Nash, and Defense/MDefense on Jessica. However, I went a little unintuitive on Alex and Mia. With Alex, I prioritized elemental defense (when available) or status protection. With Mia, I made sure to pick up the Gale Staff (+20 Agility) from the overworld passageway after you finish up in Lyton. When you combine this with one of the multiple Agility+ accessories you can find throughout the game, Mia can easily end up going first each round. Starting the battle with a Blizzard or Inferno, in addition to Nash's magic, can greatly soften up enemies for Alex, Kyle, and Jess to rip through them. In the last two dungeons, Inferno instantly kills some of the more common enemies, which brings me to my next point.

General Item Strategy - no story spoilers

At a certain point, money isn't really of any use anymore. There are at least three major dungeons after the last equipment checkpoint. What to do with all that cash? Stock up on Star Lights back in Meribia! After you finish up in the city of Pao, but before you head on to progress the story, warp back to Meribia and fill Nall's not-quite-endless pockets with Star Lights. Having a pile of MP restoratives around will let you cut loose in battle more than you would have otherwise. The freedom to just nuke enemies with Dragon Anger or Inferno rather than actually strategizing can be fun.

Grinding - only spoilers are names of dungeons

There are three really easy places to grind up levels. I already mentioned one of them; the Blue Dragon Cave in Lyton. Set up a Tactics of Nash's area-of-effect lightning magic with Alex's Flash Cut and you're golden. Do 4-5 battles, cast Escape Litany, heal up, and do it again. Gaining a few levels here is simple.

Next up: the aptly named for this purpose Grindery. Midway through the dungeon, you get a Goddess statue. The next room has three sets of monsters just inside the door that give you a total of about 13,000 EXP. Give Mia the agility boosts I mentioned in the above note and set up a Tactics of Inferno + Flash Cut and watch the world burn. I went from the low 40s to level 47 here and it went pretty quickly.

Finally, the Goddess Tower. Again, midway through, you get a Goddess statue. The next screen up has two monsters, one to the left and one to the right. Each one gives between 7000 and 8000 EXP, and they're weak to Red Dragon Anger. Nuke them, heal up, rinse and repeat. I would recommend getting to level 50 here before proceeding to the end of the game. The final boss appears to be well-balanced for a level 50/51 party, especially if your party is carrying 1-2 Silver Lights per person like mine was.