Universal The Manager : A Football Story (by 2bigpixels)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Dec 23, 2015.

1. !BigTicket!

!BigTicket! New Member

Sep 9, 2014
    I think this game is great! I've been playing it heaps over the last few days.

One thing that is annoying though is when you begin getting players rated over 100. Over 100, they just have silver or gold stars and it's hard to know exactly what their rating is. The only way I've been able to see their rank is at the 10 game mark of the season when you can re-sign the players for a lesser fee.

I'd also be interested to know if the player personality has any bearing on the game, or is just for show :)

Keep up the great work!

2. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    #22 Bloodangel, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    Think I just found a bug.
    I put the game on, was looking at my players stats, and noticed they are all back to zero.
    Zero assists, zero goals ect..
    Not a very good bug, as can't track who best players are or how well they doing.
    Makes it unplayable really ... Hope it's fixed asap

3. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Hmmmm it seems ok again now... That was odd

4. Disco Driscoll

Disco Driscoll Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Just finished my first season, and thought I was being given the option to buy the loan players that I'd had in.

Looked like they were being offered to
    Me for NO COST in exchange for some crappy squad players, so naturally I ticked accept.

However when I get to the next screen, the squad players are gone but so are the loan players, so I'm left with a really shoddy squad.

Did I misunderstand this or is it a bug?

5. 2bigpixels

2bigpixels Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Mobile Game Development
    Walsall, UK
    Hi guys, those do sound like bugs. Sometimes with code, these little swines don't crop up until they've run through a million times. Let us investigate a little and we'll get back to you. :)

6. Disco Driscoll

Disco Driscoll Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Cheers. Actually managed to get some decent players via transfer so I'm top of the league in my next season. Will see if the loan issue crops up again end of this season.

Am very much a fan of the game so far.

7. 2bigpixels

2bigpixels Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Mobile Game Development
    Walsall, UK
    Thanks 'Disco', yes, please keep us updated. Glad to hear you're enjoying the game...

We've not had a report of the loan issue from anywhere else as yet, but that doesn't mean it's not a real bug. They can be rare to the point where they only crop up one in a million times and only time reveals the little gits. But, we're got a few thousand people playing the game at the moment, all over the world, so hopefully it was just a 'one off'.

Carl @ 2bigpixels. :)

8. 2bigpixels

2bigpixels Member

Sep 29, 2015
    Mobile Game Development
    Walsall, UK
    @ BigTicket..

Thanks for the kind words. We do know what you mean about the silver/gold stars, and how they kind of 'hide' the ability.

We toyed with this for quite a while. Do we show the exact figure all of the time, or do we shroud it in mystery after a certain level? We decided to go the mystery route as it adds more of a challenge to the game, it kind of forces 'managers' to pay close attention to what their players do. Towards the end of the game, where you're in the gold league and playing with the top players, it's all about man management. It's the pinnacle of the game, it's the biggest challenge of all. We didn't want to make it easy for players, after all, there's more reward from doing something more difficult, you get a higher sense of achievement.

With regards to the personalities... absolutely. They play a very large part in the success of your team. You have to consider all of the possible variables. A highly rated player might have a weak personality and he fades out of matches. A lower ability player might be a true leader and storm his way through matches, this is how you can find the 'hidden gems', players that excel and perform way beyond their price tag.

It's not easy to balance the team, just like in real life. It's not supposed to be, we wanted to make the finding of the players the fun part. The transfer market is my own personal favourite part of the game. We made it so that there are millions of player possibilities and they are absolutely genuine. There's a huge mix of players to choose from as you play through the seasons and every new game will bring up brand new players. Some will flop, but occasionally you come across a goal scoring phenomenon.

Even though we made the game, we love to start a new season after buying some new faces, we just want to see if there's a 'gem' in there. We get the exact same kick out of it as anyone playing the game for the first time. :)

9. Bloodangel

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    I think the ability to see Final scores of other matches, one final whistle has gone in your own match would be good. Also maybe a match summary that shows you names of scorers in your own match.

When match has finished, been able to click on live scores to see other matches final scores, would be handy

10. pjl

pjl New Member

Feb 8, 2016
    This is a seriously good, fun game, well done.

It's surprisingly addictive, and very easy to learn. One key is to keep changing up your tactics.
    Anything that gets me so involved that I want to throw my iPhone when my carefully-assembled team gets beaten is obviously doing something right.

I've played the same club for 14 seasons, having won several leagues along the way, along with the Boot Cup, and reaching the Gold Cup final twice. After this length of time the game starts to feel a bit broken, but it's an enjoyable ride until this point.

Broken, how?
    My team topped Silver league, undefeated, and went to Gold league, where it got hammered by the teams full of gold/silver star players. That's OK. The team got relegated to Silver, where suddenly all the teams were full of gold/silver star players, and the same undefeated team couldn't win a game.

I suspect the algorithm that sets the opponent difficulty starts to wander away from reality after a while.

It's tempting to ride the relegation road all the way down to Non League and see if the amateur teams have also managed to assemble multi-million dollar squads. Or maybe I'll say a fond farewell to this team and start again.

In any case, a great game, playable without paying to win (well, maybe you have to pay if you want to win Gold League).