Universal The Long Siege (By Anomaly Studios Pte Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Jul 22, 2015.

1. sapphire_neo

sapphire_neo Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2011
    I would say that's good design, making combo matches gives you time to plan out ahead.

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    A fair point.

Yeah, AppUnwrapper, I know there are others (Bejeweled Blitz comes to mind). I meant only that I wouldn't call it a "standard". There are games that take both approaches.

3. I think what he means is that the action doesn't stop even though you can't do anything. The battle continues above. So I agree it's a bit weird, and I mentioned that in my review -- but I think it also makes it a bit more tame than YMBAB.

I don't think it's a game-breaker, but it felt a bit off to me as well. Maybe if I hadn't played YMBAB first, I wouldn't have even noticed.

4. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    For me as the game adds more depth the tiles starting taking upon more importance, especially the cannons. Knowing exactly when to use them and trying to string together giants becomes critical, the downtime between "turns" of sort allow me to put together the best course of action instead of just chasing the next match.

5. struy5

struy5 Member

Mar 9, 2014
    I beat ymbab, and have played just about every "fotm" match 3 game tha comes about. This is the first I have seen where the game literally pauses after you make a match 3, every single time. It breaks the flow of the game. If you need that much time tob"plan" the next match, so be it. But its a long time you are given.

Its fundamentally odd to me. The basics of the game system is to make matches. Everytime you do such a thing theres a pause. Moreover, the video did not portray the actual feel of play-pause that is felt when actually playing. Why have a rating system here if everytime some one rates a game what they feel it is, another tries to say they should not have rated it for that reason. I purchased, played, formed an opinion and chose to share it. You dont have to agree, but you shouldn't dictate what criteria someone uses to use to make their opinion.

6. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Maybe I am not explaining right. I'm a huge fan of rogue likes. I understand that there are times when you will not win in a game. But at least in those situations I still get to play the game.

Long Siege takes away control from the player and forces them to watch as they lose. With the tiles randomly dropping from the top of the screen there is no control over this happening. There is no strategy, this is completely random. Most of my battles that I have lost, have been these types of situations:

Bulwark pops from a cannon shot, and combos are stuck chaining. In the meantime another cannon take your tower out. By this point you're chaning combos that are useless. But then you have no utilities left to match so you have to move tiles around, because of the randomization this can cause more chains. So you're stuck matching tiles that you have no control over and watching yourself lose.

I am having fun with the game, I am on day 77 and tower 19. I don't see point of the mechanics behind a realtime matching game, with realtime strategy elements, that takes away the option of gameplay with pauses caused by randomization.

7. sapphire_neo

Jan 20, 2011
    Well, I concede that it might be a different case on levels that far ahead. I would be okay with the feature of matching while tiles settle IF the game doesn't make that the focus in endgame levels. That's what completely put me off YMBAB. If the additional matching is kept as a bonus instead of a requirement I would be okay with that.

8. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Finished my first run at 110 days and I didn't even have all the upgrades. I can see the fun in trying again but there just isn't enough for me to continue.

This is a really fun game. Especially if you play it like a strategy. Honestly even with my gripe on the mechanics, this was well worth the purchase.

9. Chris Savory

Chris Savory Well-Known Member

Oct 23, 2014
    Game Developer
    Vancouver, BC
    Such a well made game. Easily my favourite I've played since Card Crawl. Well done, Anomaly Studios. Superb work.

10. sugamouth

sugamouth New Member

Sep 19, 2014
    Possible bug

Been playing for a few hours and seem to be stuck on the "Recover 1 health crystal with the healer in a level" quest.
    As far as I can tell I've done this a number of times, but it's still yet to be ticked off. Is this a bug, or am I being dumb here?

11. db2

db2 Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Michigan, USA
    Are you certain you've lost and subsequently recovered health? Let the enemies at the beginning of a stage beat on your tower a bit to drop it by at least one full crystal, then try fighting back (and heal up a bit too). I had to be pretty deliberate to make sure I cleared that one.

12. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Apple do tell developers about minimum iOS requirements for developing games in pretty sure I've seen that before. Unsure about telling them actual devices but iOS goes a way to control that anyway.

I'm not against games with high req if you can tell why it has a high requirement. I do dislike games that set by devices aflame though.

13. Jazzpha

Jazzpha Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    So, the last boss in the game is repeatedly schooling me, and since I can't complete the last mission for the final quest rank I can't get access to the final power-up that would really help beat the boss.

Any thoughts? Everything else I can buy or upgrade has been bought or upgraded to max.

14. jsrco

jsrco Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 15, 2009
    Coordinator
    Seattle
    Upgrades are unlocked through quest levels and upgrading your units. Not through bosses.

I beat the game without unlocking everything.

15. Jazzpha

Apr 26, 2012
    No, I get that part. My problem is that I feel like my troops, even completely maxed out and with every passive buff item unlocked but the last one, are still just too weak to beat the final boss.

I guess I just need to get faster at matching, because my stats can't get any higher.

16. It took me a few tries, too. What finally worked was 1. Matching faster and 2. Matching a lot of of utility tiles when he got to my tower.

FYI,
    the final tower has four bosses.

17. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I love Hero Emblem as it feels stress free but also challenging and an a bit concerned about the real time aspect as it often times feels frantic which sometimes can be fun but also can feel annoying... I might try this eventually but am likely to end a bit frustrated with the real time aspect.

Congrats to the developers for making what looks like a beautiful game with a thoughtful unique game!!!

18. toddfsu

toddfsu Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Destroy 3 shields with a cannon in a level?

What is wrong with me, I can not figure out how to cannon. I summon mages soldiers and slingshot guys. I collect gold and dirty coins. I also know how to hammer my crystal when it goes red. How do I shoot a cannon at some shield? I see a cannon. It looks at enemies. Please be kind to me and help.

19. Jazzpha

Apr 26, 2012
    The tiles that look like crosshairs/targets are the ones that fire your cannon. You just need to tap them, they don't get matched in groups.

Hope this helps!

20. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    My initial opinion is with you... I am a huge fan of Hero Emblem and didn't love 10000000 due to the live frantic pace...I'm a total fan of turn based matching games as well. I am totally intrigued by this game more from the the "premium" no iap, graphics, and overall presentation of what seems to be a polished game!

I love the indie development aspect and will likely buy it in the future. To many other games and on a long trip through Scandinavia and an afraid this will distract me to much by being to addicting! Haha! Might be fun for the long flight home in mid-August!!