Universal The Little Crane That Could (by Abraham Stolk)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by bram, Jan 27, 2011.

1. joseph1210

joseph1210 New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    Great game!

First off, this is a great game. I mean it is truely wonderful. Physics are ammazing and love the sandbox mode.​

I think you should beable to drive multiple vehicles in sandbox, maybe limit it to 2-3 and the user gets to choose which 2-3 in the game at one time. I also think that on the level "TowerCrane", you should make the claw stick to the ball bearings while hanging over the side or near he side for that matter. Everytime I try to go for that level, one ball bearing falls off and I have to reset. The wooden rectangle gets in the way alot while picking one up and pushes one off the side. ​

I also can't wait for any new levels and I really think you should make a towtruck level, again featuring full controls of the flatbed or even a regular towtruck. Make the level so you have to pick up a truck on the side of the road, tow it a short distance, and back it into the garage where you become the hydrollic lift and have to raise the car up to finish the level. That would be epic:D

I, finally, think you should make the levers a little more snap(y) meaning if you tap it with the truck then it snaps into place because on some levels in my game it is hard to get the lever all the way down.​

Please read and implement my suggestions. Thanks :)

~Joseph1210​

2. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Joseph, thanks for the feedback I appreciate it.
    I will consider your suggestions carefully, to see if I can use them.

Bram

3. The rev man

The rev man Member

May 22, 2011
    This is my favorite game but when I'm playing sometimes I accidentally restart the level because the gas pedal is where the restart botton is so when I accidentally press menu it starts over. Can you maybe fix that by putting something like "Are you sure you want to restart this level?" or something please? I don't know if you understand what I mean but if you do will you please fix?
    -Thanks.

4. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Get the premium levels while they are cheap.

Just a heads up for those who were considering to buy the premium levels via in app purchase...

Get them while they are cheap.
    They are currently selling at $1.99 which gets you all levels.

Apple just approved v1.7 and when it goes live, it will bring the game to 20 levels in total. I will raise the in app purchase price tomorrow, as volume has been slowing down considerably and I need to adjust price to keep covering my time.

5. The rev man

The rev man Member

May 22, 2011
    It's kind of hard to go from the first level to the last, can you make it so its easier to go from one level to the other. Great new level by the way.

6. Retrolamer

Retrolamer Member

Jun 17, 2011
    Student
    Wuppertal, Germany
    Hi Bram,
    thank you for V1.7. I downloaded a few minutes ago and multitasking works as it should, really great.
    Also thx for the new lvl. But where are the police lights on the cars xD ?

A mayor problem i have in the game.
    In my opinion the friction (i hope the is the right word) is much to high. Mostly you are not able to slide objects by pushing them or drive against them. Now when you do this they just turn around and you just lift the front of your crane. The crates for example in the lvl where you have to build a tower with them.

But still a great game!
    Price raise is ok for that.

7. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Hi Retrolamer, thanks for the feedback.

Yes... lights are missing, for the sake of gameplay: I did not want the cars to wiggle on their lights when upside down. It would look silly, as those lights would have been crushed anyway, and all bodies in the simulation are rigid.

And yes, friction is the correct term.
    I agree with you, many objects exhibit too much friction.
    I have three different friction values: one for the gripper, one for the tyres and one for everything else.

Ideally, I should tweak the latter value to get a bit more sliding of objects.
    There is a practical issue with that though: If I start changing the friction in my simulation, I really have to thoroughly test all 20 levels again, to see if everything still works as it should. That is a lot of QA time. Maybe I can work around it by only changing friction incrementally, e.g. per level. Another option maybe adding a user controlled slider to move the trial and error process to the user. I will see what I can do about it.

Bram

8. Fragglep0p

Fragglep0p Member

May 4, 2011
    Hi bram,
    Was hoping to pull some teasers from the next update from your brain :D
    Also managed to get #1 on the new propulsion level for panzer class :p just over 19 secs :D woot.

9. joseph1210

joseph1210 New Member

Jun 27, 2011
    One more update

Dear Bram;
    I have one more update which I forgot to mention in my last post which was to add a server log-in which would allow you to share your game progress between iOS devices. Also allow it to be a setting for if you want to disable it. It would certantly be a good feature to put this game fair ahead of any copies of the game. It would also, upon first use, sync your best times between devices so you don't loose your best times. Just some food for thought.:D

10. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Well... so far not too much inspiration.
    But there have been a lot of requests from users about tow trucks.
    It would probably have to be a automated tow truck that requires no manual intervention (stay in your cabin they call it). Probably something like:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0EhLmng2Ak

Currently, I am primarily thinking about a port from iOS to OSX Lion to bring the little crane to the desktop. Using the power of a modern desktop machine, the simulation can be a lot more elaborate. Multiple vehicles at the same time e.g. and also a highly advanced simulation of tracks. Something like I have in my project 'howitzer skirmish' which was never completed. But personally, I think it is pretty much the best tracks simulation ever put in a game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPm-WR_AWZY&feature=player_embedded
    A crane on top of these tracks would bring it to a whole new level.

Bram

11. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Teaser shot from MacOS port

So I am in the process of porting the little crane that could to the MacOS desktop.

It is coming along quickly, and nearing completion.
    I thought I would drop a teaser shot here.

The MacOS version will have a new crane, running on tracks.
    Also, I created two new levels featuring the new crane.
    Unfortunately, iPad and iPhone lack the power to simulate the 57-rigid body crane, so it will be an MacOS exclusive.

[​IMG]

12. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    That looks so cool it makes me wish I had a Mac. :eek:

13. Fragglep0p

Fragglep0p Member

May 4, 2011
    That looks amazing!!! I wish i had a mac too now! I hope to see a teaser clip of it in action! :D

14. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    But of course...
    I made a clip of the WIP for the interview I did with GeekPreview.
    The interview with video is here:
    http://geekpreview.blogspot.com/2011/08/man-plan-crane-game-bram-stolk.html

I'm having some difficulty currently, getting it through Apple's app review.
    The IAP process on OSX is a bit shakier than on iOS, but I hope to get those issues ironed out, and get it to the store soon.

Also you can see from the video, that the visuals have a new look, with edge lines drawn on the objects. I think it looks better, and may back port it to iOS. I think iPhone and iPad have the GPU power to do the improved graphics. The tracked vehicle sim will be too much though.

Bram

15. Collin

Collin Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2010
    Graphic Designer/Illustrator/Art Director
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If it's that hard to make IAP work on the Mac, how about releasing a fully unlocked version that could be bought and a demo?

I haven't checked out the game yet on my iPad, but with all this positive feedback from the community and an active developer, I will soon.

16. Stustaff

Stustaff Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2010
    I loved this game... Yes loved in the past tense.

The cannon firing level just frustrated me so much that I havent played it since a few weeks ago, :(

17. bram

bram Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Vancouver, BC
    Did you see the spoiler video on how to beat that level?
    Here's the video:
    http://stolk.org/movies/tlctc/level08.mov

Also you realize that levels can be played in any order, right?
    You can just skip to level 9 and forget about the cannon lvl altogether.

And I am happy to tell you that the cannon-level is not part of the MacOS port, as I felt it was indeed one of the weaker level designs I made.

Bram

18. Fragglep0p

Fragglep0p Member

May 4, 2011
    @collin you should totaly buy it!!, especially if you have an ipad its an amazing game!

@bram those tracks are epic, Im a sucker for anything with tank tracks!
    Wish there was some way of playing it on windows.

19. duffy0842

duffy0842 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Bram,

I know this is a forum about iOS and mac and that, but is there any posibility about the litle crane that could being put on to the pc platform? cos i know their are a few who do would like the little crane that could on pc. ove the game. whens the next update coming and whats in it?

Thanks
    jack

20. duffy0842

duffy0842 New Member

Sep 15, 2011
    Bram,

I know this is a forum about iOS and mac and that, but is there any posibility about the litle crane that could being put on to the pc platform? cos i know their are a few who do would like the little crane that could on pc. love the game. whens the next update coming and whats in it?

Thanks
    jack