Universal The Legend of Ipsae (originally Gaia) (by Philip eggert)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Gwarmaxx, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    #41 Phil@sbeargames, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    We renamed the App not because of any copyright issues, just because to make sure it is a different.

The game is set for free for the 23rd and 24th around the world. We like to push downloads and hopefully get more reviews and ratings. We do have a few but very good rating and reviews, but the App Store only displays them if the game has 5 or more in the specific country.

... and with the new Name we also implemented a requested virtual gamepad. We hope you will like it.
    Next update will include new content and features as well.

ThirdMoon and Gwarmaxx like this.
  2. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    It takes hours for the store to set new prices for each store

3. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    It‘s set for free for the 23rd and 24th. She should check again. Usually it takes some time to address the new price setting

4. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Yep, she checked again. It is indeed now free.
    I had to get her to check because I already bought the game and the app store doesn’t show the price on your account if you already own a game you purchased previously.

Unfortunately she doesn’t play “proper” games...... she is more a crossword type gamer. :rolleyes:

Phil@sbeargames likes this.
  5. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    Yeah that’s true. Thanks for your support. You may want to leave us a rating and review. Would be awesome. Thank you

6. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    yeah, i love it, really solid classic jrpg, i’m going to rate it on the appstore.

7. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    Awesome! :) glad you like it

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  8. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Left you a good review
    Thanks for the control update

9. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    Where do I go to change controls? Not seeing it

10. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Once you leave the first town, you’ll get the option. It’s probably there when you start a new game, too.

11. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    Save games will get the new controls updated on every map except dungeons and houses.

New save games will have them right from the start.

Thanks for your rating :)

Dailon80 likes this.
  12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    This game has some potential but is still pretty rough. Hopefully this feedback will help improve it.

—the audio sounds garbled. The voiceover in the introduction sounds like some weird robot alien that is trying to speak through water. And that quality is in the background music and sound effects, so...i don’t know what’s going on there. I’m on an iPad with current iOS.

—I saved once and played for another twenty minutes maybe and walked into a cave (north of the forest church I think) only to have the game crash. Auto save is a MUST with mobile devices in particular. This experience repelled me from wanting to pick up and try again.

—the menu icons...it’s not clear what they are. It takes a while to get oriented.

+being able to minimize some displays on while moving around is nice.

—on an iPad I generally am using my thumbs and holding the device so two finger tap to cancel is...how to put it...it feels like an imposition. A cancel button as an option would be nice, but not a priority compared to other issues.

—the display has blank space at the top and bottom, and I get that apple has so many different devices it can be tricky to design for all of them...but it is very important you figure out. This wouldn’t be so bad if everything didn’t feel so small; it is a little impersonal. Maybe it’s me but it seems I would connect more with the character if it was a little enlarged.

—I’m not a fan of the touch to move—at least I I It’s current form. As you touch any of the buttons sometimes this comes into play and your character dashes off. If you are using the virtual controller this happens more often as you slide between directions.

—design wise, it is hard to see where you have a path through trees and where you don’t. So you end up tapping to move randomly in a space to see if you can get over there. I went west from that first bigger city where the court is, and found a beach but I was on a higher plateau. It seemed like i should be able to get down to the beach and i had gotten quests for it, but no...travel all around seeing if there is a path. The thing is, because I can’t visually tell in other situations, I am tapping randomly. This also disengages me from the game / makes me feel less connected to the character.

Playing this I appreciate how many little things go into the design of a game and make me appreciate even kemco titles a little bit more. I applaud the devs effort here but there is clearly a lot to learn. The main recommendation is to create auto saves. Then, fix or overhaul the sound. Then, the movement and the visual aspect...that is a harder fix probably. At least have a buffer area around buttons so your character doesn’t accidentally zoom off in a direction you didn’t want to go.

With autosaves I would consider picking up the game again. Best wishes to he dev.

13. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    Thanks for your feedback. Let me catch up with you and share our thoughts about some design and feature decisions :

Autosave:
    basically there are three different option to implement save features:
    - autosave
    - manual save at any time
    - manual save at specific save points

usually rpgs and especially jrpg do not autosave. It´s about giving the player total control over their save games.
    We decided not to implement auto save because it could override your save game.
    We also decided not to let you save your game only at specific points.
    It´s annoying if you feel forced to play on because you are not able to save.
    So, to save the game at any time (except in battles), we think, is the best way to play a RPG.
    Sadly your game crashed and you did not save your progress during this 20 Minutes.
    Since the game crashes really rare, we had no crash during our test phase, it´s really easy to make a save once in a while, especially with the short cut icons.

About two fingers cancel on iPad:
    you can use your left and right thumb, you don't have to use two fingers of the same hand.
    this means you can go on just using your thumb ;)

About paths:
    the game indicates paths with path ways. cliff passages also indicates this.
    It´s about exploring the landscapes beyond the usual paths.
    This also means if you are leaving a path you will not enter a e.g. a beach.
    There are signs around the world of gaia which are telling you where you are heading too.

Touch to move and dashing & sound:
    Particular the sound issues you've described are a little hard to understand for us. It would be great if you could install the game on another iOS device and give us a feedback on that. And if you have the same handling concerns on an iPhone a further feedback is highly appreciated.

We highly appreciated your feedback. It´s important for us to get to know all the "hassles" players are feeling. Also their likes.

Thank you very much .... maybe you like to start again ;)

14. dbagga84

dbagga84 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2013
    I agree. Autosave has 0 business in jrpgs and survival horror games. But just in case you ever decide to add it all you have to do is make auto save it’s own separate space from manual save then when you start the game the player can load or hit continue where continue loads the most current save. But again autosave has no business in jrpgs except I’d agree that because of some mobile devices crash games if it’s a game with a save at certain spots and not save whenever wherever then an autosave when you enter new screens could be implemented. But somewhere around the first page I already posted suggestions for what I noticed in videos of the game because I hadn’t bought it yet but I did buy it soon after that. Unfortunately I’m busy with dragon quest 7 and the Evil Within rn but I hope to get to it soon, I did play around in that first town got the sword fought the enemy in the cave lol pretty fun, hard though for sure the enemies at the start do waaaaay too much damage it feels but the last I played was before any updates :)

15. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    #55 Solarclipse, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    About autosaves and JRPGs: classic JRPGs were on consoles. You play them at home. The OS did not receive updates that could cause issues. You did not receive updates to a.game—it was fully produced and tested.

This does not describe anything about many of the "jrps" on the app store today. There are numerous devices, updates in OS and the game, and the mobile element can change things. So many and I daresay most RPGs on mobile have an autosave feature.

When you are in developement and testing you will fix most crashes that you encounter, but he ones you encounter are limited by the kinds of choice you make in play—knowing what you know as devs—and the devices you are using etc. When you release something into the wild you should expect more crashes.

And the thing is, when someone loses.progress because of a crash they may get soured on the game and leave a bad review. If there is a.small group of people who don't want autosaves for nostalgic purposes or a sense of challenge it could be optional.

But logistically, as someone else pointed out on this tjread, the autosave can be a different save file from the manual save. Saving after every battle or every map change would work, whichever is easier.

Update: the audio is fine. I was on an airplane and had headphones in—maybe they weren’t in all the way.

16. Phil@sbeargames

Dec 10, 2018
    Its great to hear, that there is no audio issue. We were trying to reproduce it. Thanks for this feedback :)

regarding to you awesome feedback we will implant autosave within the next update. We spent the last days trying to get a good solution and we think by autosave on every bigger maps could be a great way to do it.
    Thanks again for all the feedback. Its great to see people playing our game and get awesome constructive feedback. Feel free to leave a rating or/and review to support us.
    If you have additional feedback for our upcoming update, please let us know :)

Solarclipse likes this.
  17. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Guessing no iPhone X support for this yet?

18. istara

istara Well-Known Member

Mar 10, 2009
    If and when it comes to Mac OS, do you plan to have transferable/Cloud saves?

I like the look of the game, but I'm struggling a bit to play it on my iPhone.

19. What happened to this game? It was removed from the store. And I cannot find it in my history either