Universal The Last Warlock (by Sonic Sloth)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 9, 2015.

1. SonicSloth

SonicSloth Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Glad you are enjoying it :)
    I'm just getting the Steam release out in this next week, but I may consider more MP maps after that.
    Do you have any thoughts on an alternative setting you'd like to see?

2. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Store reviews are always appreciated!
    It's hard to accumulate reviews on iOS if you're not a massive game. They get reset on every release, and they are per-country, and nothing gets displayed at all until you have 5 reviews. Every time it accumulates a good overall score, an update wipes it back down.

It's one area where Android is better. Google Play reviews are per language, don't get reset, and for some reason Android users are more likely to give reviews. So any English speaker on Google Play will see the game has got a lot of great user reviews, whereas on iOS, much of the time it looks like it's had hardly had any reviews at all - especially if you're not in the U.S.

Anyway - that was just a little dev whinge for you there :)

3. erikrask

erikrask Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Great! Thanks for a quick reply.
    It would be nice with a bit bigger maps, and more use of height differences and favorable spots to use strategically.
    And for more long-term additions, I would love some more continuity in MP, for example being able to bring an item or favorite creature to the next game, or being able to level your warlock over time.
    But only a couple of new maps would be great :)

4. icepulse

icepulse Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2008
    The option to turn off the shrinking boundary ring would be nice. Some of us TBS fans enjoy a game that takes weeks. Tuck oneself away in a little alcove, bide your time w/ milking resources, and prep for the ultimate onslaught!!

5. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    The 'Very Long' game option isn't long enough? :)
    There was no boundary at all during much of development. The problem was that some multiplayer games could never end as players hid or endlessly ran away.
    In hindsight, maybe an infinity length option with re-generating magic cubes would have appealed to some of the more hardcore players!

6. inuse78

inuse78 Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I'm having trouble with getting iCloud to match up my saves. Think my iPad is one or two Dave's behind.

I've got iCloud turned on, on both devices and I can see that it does update. Buts it's out of sync.

Any suggestions of how I force an iCloud save and force a load?

7. Hpmor

Hpmor Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2014
    Don't know how I could miss this gem - thanks to the dev! First level is already great!

8. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    What do you mean by 'it does update' ?

I've found iCloud often goes through phases of not working 100%, sometimes Apples servers are playing up, and sometimes the devices just seem to stop syncing reliably.
    My suggestion would be to restart both devices, then take the device with the latest save, make one move (just move a creature one tile), then exit the game to force iCloud to sync to the cloud. Then on your other device, go to the main menu and wait a bit to see if it shows the save update with the correct date/time/device.

Restarting the devices have solved most of my iCloud problems in the past, so hopefully that works for you.

9. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Been stuck on level 2 for 5 months now. The fire walker guys in the
    Ava kill me...I can't cross that bridge because they attack and my warlock can't move. I can't kill them. So I've been stuck...probably another 5 month on level 2

10. 8BitFlash

May 19, 2015
    Seriously how to beat the second level?? Fire reapers eat you alive if you walk on the bridge...you can't kill them all. The pop up message even days not to kill them. I tried distracting them...they just come right back and kill me when I'm on the bridge. I've been at the level for 5+ months....about to delete the game and post horrid reviews. I'm not bad at TBS games...but this one.....what is this level.

11. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Solution for getting past the fire reapers:

The Fire Reapers are blind, but have keen hearing. They also cannot leave the lava. Any creature that moves next to the lava will alert them and they will all take a step forwards and attack if they are in range. They are very strong, so fighting them is often not an option.
    You need to allow one creature to travel through the path in the middle in the lava (choose your creature with the most APs!). To distract the Fire Reapers, use other creatures at the side of the pits. Alternate between your creatures. Move the creature in the center path one tile, and then move your distracting creatures one tile. This keeps the Fire Reapers confused, they will alternate between chasing each creature but won't be able to get close to any of them!

12. 8BitFlash

May 19, 2015
    LOL thank you so much dev! The game is so fun

13. inuse78

Aug 3, 2015
    I've completed the game on casual and there are still some spells inhavent unlocked (ghost, spectre, demon, teleport etc).

Are these iAp only or from harder difficulties or from not collecting everything in missions (on any difficultly)?

Thanks

14. inuse78

Aug 3, 2015
    Anyone found the demon or giant or teleport spell? (Not through iap)

15. Citronaut

Citronaut Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Pretty certain all IAP was removed from the game in an update. I'm just getting started with it though, so I'm not 100%.

16. markaman

markaman Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2013
    For anyone who just downloaded the game: try out the multiplayer. It's a lot of fun and there is a good amount of players who actively play. I always try to have a few new games going for anyone to join. If you don't see any games open just start a new one and people should show up pretty quickly.

17. inuse78

Aug 3, 2015
    I've competed all the levels but can't seem to figure out how to get the last couple of pages of spells.

18. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Some spells are reserved to be unlocked in future additional quests. You can play with them in battle mode or multiplayer mode at any time though.

19. 8BitFlash

May 19, 2015
    Any tips for level 3? I can't beat it...the other warlock spawns too many strong monsters

20. SonicSloth

Patreon Bronze

Oct 19, 2012
    Games Developer
    Don't go directly head to head with him. He'll probably beat you as you've found out.
    Don't go running up to his creatures where he can then surround and kill you. Instead, keep your distance and let him send a creature towards you. He'll use up his APs and then you can surround and kill his creature.
    Ranged attacks are good when possible - use bows and rocks.
    If you can isolate the Warlock, possibly by flanking him - taking him out will kill all his creatures immediately.
    Keep food ready to replenish health (kill the animals at the start) - you can feed adjacent creatures that don't have hands (such as Bears) to heal them.
    Try different paths through the map. The enemy will behave differently every game. You might want to avoid him until you are ready for a conflict, or you might be able to catch him off-guard and take him out.
    Alternatively if you do want to charge in to battle, send fast creatures in to the building to collect up the crafting items before he gets there. That way you can craft some weapons in advance.
    Don't be afraid to retreat if the situation looks bad.
    If you can use a Bears 'critical bite' successfully, just fall back and let that creature slowly bleed to death each turn.