Universal The Last Remnant Remastered (by Square Enix)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Brightsiderus, Dec 12, 2019.

1. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #21 stubbieoz, Dec 12, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
    The AppStore description says ,>............ “Now this cult classic RPG is back with a Remastered version and is coming to iPhone/iPad with even more beautiful graphics, enhanced via an updated game engine.”

The game was released originally on Unreal 3 and then the Unreal 4 engine.
    I would take the above description as meaning it does not use the old Unreal 3 engine but the updated Unreal 4 engine.

2. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    This game is excellent quality, wow
    Enjoying this version so far
    Playing it on a 7 and it’s still smooth and looks amazing
    Pretty certain this is unity 4 version

L.Lawliet likes this.
  3. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Unity 4 is outdated it’s based on unreal engine 4 the same engine oceanhorn 2 is on

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Yeah — I think he was just confused :).

stubbieoz likes this.
  5. agreen437

agreen437 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2014
    iPhone 7 series I have a 7 also have second generation iPad Pro read the reviews on the App Store some one is saying not optimized for the 3rd generation iPad Pro so but still looking forward to getting it

stubbieoz likes this.
  6. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Phew, from an owner of a 3rd gen iPad Pro you just saved me $31AUD. Thanks.

7. badmanj

badmanj Well-Known Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Software developer
    Reading, England
    Are the battles overly complex? I'm a fairly casual RPG fan; hate the detailed management stuff... would I be better with their other recent release, or neither?

8. Brightsiderus

Brightsiderus Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2017
    They are not complicated. You just put Troops to unions, choose one of given options in battles and watch their battle.
    SaGa scarlet Grace is way more complicated

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    There’s a bit more to it that that, but all in all it’s manageable. The game adds more mechanics at a decent pace.

Even though this is a straight port from an Xbox 360 game, there’s something about it that feels natural on mobile. In fact, it reminds me a bit of Chaos Rings (though fully 3D), with it’s contained areas and menu-based travel. From what I know of Lost Odyssey, this one is probably the one fits better on the platform.

Dailon80 likes this.
  10. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    I am early in but I really like it so far. I think it feels perfect on mobile and I like that you can save anywhere

solarnya likes this.
  11. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Similar question about difficulty/accessibility: would it be OK for a midcore RPG player? To give an example, I enjoyed all 3 Chaos Rings games, the FF IX port, KOTOR and Jade Empire ports. On other platforms, I liked Pokémon (X/Y, Sun/Moon, Shield/Sword), Diablo III, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Oblivion and Skyrim, Titan Quest. So I'm not a match-three-level casual player, but games with TOO much tactical management (e.g. Front Mission) or deliberately difficult games (e.g. Soulsborne, Sekiro) put me off, because it's not my cup of tea to put hours in mastering a game mechanics to progress, I like to learn WHILE progressing and like certain guidance (the Link's Awakening Switch remaster would be a good example of what I mean).

L.Lawliet likes this.
  12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You won’t really have a problem with Last Remnant. Compared to the games you’ve played, I’d say it’s somewhat more complex that Chaos Rings, but simpler than KOTOR. The first couple of hours of the game are very guided and you have the support of higher level characters. Concepts and mechanics are introduced at a pretty comfortable pace. Once you go on your own, there are a few things you’ll need to figure out, but it shouldn’t be an issue if you paid attention at the outset — and, again, there’s plenty of guidance along the way. And since you can save anywhere, it’s easy to fail and try again.

ibis_87 likes this.
  13. ibis_87

ibis_87 Active Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Male
    Manager
    Moscow, Russia.
    Oh. that's very reassuring, thanks! Might as well go ahead and get it;)

14. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Is this full screen on iphone X? Thanks.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Gameplay, yes. Cutscenes, no.

ibis_87 likes this.
  16. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #36 stubbieoz, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    I’m currently in the process of trying to decide whether to get Romancing Saga 2 or 3 or Scarlet or this game as an early Xmas pressie for myself.

I feel like a rpg with a decent story but primarily I need good turn based combat.
    I have played all the Final Fantasy games (though currently I am just starting FFTWotL).
    Reading all the reviews out there is only just confusing me more with my decision.

One thing I really need though is a good user friendly save system. I find it hard these days with real life to set aside a devoted amount of gaming time in one session. It can happen but mostly I get interrupted a lot.

Also I have an iPad Pro 12.9” 3rd Gen and would like the game to take full use of its resolution, though I can live with it not being totally optimised for that screen and being surrounded by a black border due to the rounded corners.

Also offline is always appreciated.

With all that being said I would welcome any suggestions from anyone who has any of the above 4 mentioned games. :)

Edit; or maybe just wait for Chaos Rings 3 to get fixed.....lol

17. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    I would pick Chaos Rings 3 over all those games tbh. It's that good. Unfortunately I'm not sure if it'll run on your device or not. SQE has a habit of abandoning games that aren't "new" anymore.

Scarlet GA is great but it's VERY hard. I do love the gameplay however, it's rewarding and frustrating. It's a game that you could get addicted to the battles but then get destroyed by them.

bx59 and stubbieoz like this.
  18. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Yeah, Chaos Rings 3 will probably be a done deal for me if they ever do fix it.
    I played CR2 for ages and loved it, but I had to temporarily remove it for some extra space at one time and when I went to reinstall it, it was removed by Square Enix. :(

At least in the AppStore description they say CR3 has issues with iPadOS and iOS13 and they are supposedly working on a fix..... though who knows with them.

I will go back and revisit some youtube videos and players comments about Scarlet Saga after seeing your recommendation. :)

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    As someone who loved CR1 and 2, I would take The Last Remnant over Scarlet Saga or CR3. Frankly, the story of CR3 is kind of weak (compared to the first two, anyway). Gameplay-wise, LR is reminding me a fair amount of the CR series — but with better graphics, world-building, etc. And I’m really digging the combat, which plays out more like a turn-based strategy game than a standard JRPG. The story is just starting to open up now; so far it has been engaging but nothing special. There is also a fairly robust crafting and upgrade system, as well as side quests, guild tasks, party recruiting, and other interesting mechanics.

I just beat the first big boss of the game on the second try — and without doing a lot of grinding. In fact, all I did was get a little smarter about my tactics, and that made the difference. For me, that’s exactly what I’m looking for in an RPG.

20. stubbieoz

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I went and bought SaGa Scarlet after weighing up all the pros and cons as best as I could for all the games.
    It did come down to Scarlet and Remnant and in the end Scarlet took the money due to a totally unrelated need..... I realised that I would have to delete some games to have enough space on my iPad to fit it lol.
    I really hate removing iOS games that I have paid for and haven’t finished because there is always a real chance that they will be gone when I want to reinstall them later.

It’s early days with Scarlet and there is a ton of stuff to understand and get a handle on, and it is very different from other games that I have played regarding how the combat works. Hopefully my tied old brain can work things out.

I keep thinking about Remnant though. The combat looks great and those graphics...wow. Fighting larger scale battles than you normally get with these type of games could be a lot of fun.

I have decided to quit my AppleArcade subscription because I have too many games anyway and having over another hundred plus to add to my busting game library is just stupid. And it will free up more than enough space when I delete the games I have installed from it.

There is enough money in the kitty to get Remnant so that’s what I am going to do right now. :D

L.Lawliet likes this.