Universal The Last Express - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. PrayForDeath

PrayForDeath Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Well, you could always manually backup your saves via iFunBox (no jailbreak needed.) But yeah, iCloud support should be a standard feature at this point.

2. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Update is available in the US!

3. PrayForDeath

Jan 31, 2012
    I just bought the game based on the glowing feedback from everyone. Love the iOS store because of these surprise releases :)

4. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    Just finished up the game. I definitely enjoyed it, but the combat can be VERY frustrating. Let's just say that some fights took 15 or so tries before I finally won... That being said, the game isn't about combat, but about the story, which is top notch. And I want to thank a couple of my FB friends for giving me some pointers that helped me get a nice ending.

5. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    *tips hat*

This is also available on GOG.com with a few extras like the soundtrack.

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/last_express_the

6. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    And great, now I want to re-read "The Guns of August"...

7. EightRooks

EightRooks Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    UK
    Damn, the man himself? Seriously? Wow.

Now I suddenly feel compelled to install and play this... :D I bought it on PC at GoG ages ago (and knew about the game/mister Mechner's legacy before that) but never got round to trying it.

8. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I've just updated the game and can confirm that it works perfectly on iPhone 5 now.

Thank you DotEmu for the excellent port and speedy fix. I've always been a fan of your various ports and this one is the best yet!

Thank you Mr. Mechner for the great game. I'm having a wonderful (yet full of tension) time with it and exploring different ways to get caught or die. The real time aspect of the game is awesome and I'm feeling like Poirot on a big case, racing against time.

Thanks to my dear friend Pitta too, without him I would not have paid such attention to this game release and might have missed a great experience. The horrors!

9. GROG

GROG Member

Aug 15, 2012
    Brings back memories to old-school adventure games... here's my non-digital copy. Highly-recommended, one of the best adventures around!

[​IMG]

:)

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Finally got the chance to try this out and man...holy crap...DotEmu, you guys are insanely good at porting stuff. CRAZY!

11. evilgrug

evilgrug Member

Aug 9, 2011
    I really wanted this game as a kid, I'm glad I can finally get a chance to try it. Enjoyed what I played so far on the iPad this morning and thanks for the quick iPhone 5 fix. (When did iOS get delta app updates?)

12. robertjan88

robertjan88 Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Is this game fully optimized for the retina Ipad 3 display (2048x1536)? Don't want the game to look blurry on it ;)

13. soup

soup Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    why not maybe read the posts already made ?

14. sirrozha

sirrozha Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2010
    #94 sirrozha, Sep 28, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
    The game is crashing on my jailbroken iPhone 4S during loading. Music stops, game crashes.

Works in safe mode: w/o Mobile Substrate tweaks. What could it be conflicting with?

15. PrayForDeath

Jan 31, 2012
    No, it isn't. But it's acceptable imo (YMMV)

16. PrayForDeath

Jan 31, 2012
    iOS 6 feature. Only reason I'm tempted to upgrade.

17. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    I'm VERY picky about Retina on my iPad 3 (just look at my posting history) and the game looks fantastic on te device. Looks better than on my PC, to my eyes.

18. Allanon

Allanon Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Protecting the Lands from Brona
    Paranor
    ive never played a game like this before, is it mostly watching cinematics or is it really interactive? also is it a create your own adventure or a linear story? and finally are there GC achievements?

19. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    Some cinematics, lots of clicking around and talking and observing. The story has multiple branches, and yes, there are GC achievements but you should avoid even looking at them on the first play through. It's a long game.

The Last Express is akin to the adventure games of the 80's and 90's.

20. Ghukas

Ghukas New Member

Sep 30, 2012
    I have an iPhone and an iPad, both 5.1.1 still that I can't upgrade for work. I have tried to play on both but get an immediate crash after the DotEmu logo. It won't boot in safe mode, either. Any solutions short of restoring before I reinstall on PC?