Universal The Last Express - (by DotEmu)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Sep 26, 2012.

1. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Exactly right. ;)

2. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Odd... Could you post the expanded size please?

3. Ajstadel

Ajstadel Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Is there going to be a lite version? It looks fantastic but I would really like to try it so I don't get the double whammy of deleting games and wasting $5.

4. jag64

jag64 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    bug in german version

in the beginning the guard (train) speaks french! i do not understand what he is saying!( there are no subtitles). in the english version he speaks english! hope there is an update regarding this annoying bug!

5. GROG

GROG Member

Aug 15, 2012
    AWESOME adventure game! I still have the old-school box for Mac!

Play it and watch Hitchcock's The Lady Vanishes!

6. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    Wow.. your confusing me...
    In the English Version he speaks English, but in your version he speaks French. Change your Language? You must not have it in English otherwise it was in English.

7. Squeaker

Squeaker Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Bookland
    I'm the friend Pitta was talking about who couldn't play the game on iPhone 5 last night. Very glad the problem was resolved and that it's an iPhone 5 only problem which means I can switch to iPad to play. Pitta has been going on about the game ever since it was announced, raving how much he loved the game for so many months, it got me really curious and somewhat hyped. Looking forward to finally being able to experience a classic and thanks DotEmu for the speedy fix!

8. Shinto

Shinto Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Spain
    Game crash when playing with Spanish voices.
    I didn't know the game but looks like a very interesting one with all that conversations and people. Thanks DotEmu

9. EvilDucktator

EvilDucktator 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Sep 28, 2011
    Walt Disney World Cast Member
    Brisbane, Australia
    Thanks DotEmu for bringing this out -- brings back some memories :)

10. paulf58

paulf58 Member

Jul 15, 2012
    Waaay too big for my device :-/ oh well

11. chapel07

chapel07 Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2012
    i don't know what is this..but this looks great..maybe i was never born yet when this was first introduced to the people..instabuy! ;)

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Even though there are no apparent issues with iPhone 4 from what's been said in the thread, would you say the best thing to do is wait for the expedited update to come out? I'm out of the country and my connection is quite literally the crappiest thing on the planet (took 2 hours to download God of Blades, for example). I don't wanna have to deal with a 10 hour download only to have to download it again in a few hours/later today. >_>

13. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Is it in full retina on iPad 3?

14. teesquare

teesquare Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Does this game have subtitles for 'English spoken dialogues?' It was really painful for me to play the original without subtitles 'cause I'm not good at listening English.

15. Hero211

Hero211 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2012
    Is it in full retina on iPad 3?

16. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Your loss. It's one of the best games on the platform. A truly unique and engrossing experience.

I'm very picky about Retina, and this game looks great on my iPad 3.

17. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

iCloud support (or Dropbox...) is a must-have for _every_ game, because only with it you can reinstall the app without having to start over again.

And since this is a universal app iCloud would also enable the sync between different devices.

Please add iCloud to this game. It's big. It's universal. It needs time to complete it. iCloud will help.

18. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    It's not a bug, even the original game was so.
    In the Train you will meet different people, and some do not speak English and they will speak their native language (Russian, Serbian...).
    You have to behave as you were Cath...so if you do not know that language...(they will react).
    Anyway...it's not that big...there are just few phrases in foreign languages and are there just for the sake of realism and many times, as in the case of the conductor, after a while they repeat the same phrase in English...same expedient they use in movies to sink you in a 'real experience'.
    Do not worry, you won't have any problems playing.

19. volcanopele

volcanopele Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 27, 2011
    Planetary Geologist
    AZ, US
    I've gotten through the first...day...so far. The game plays quite well, though the combat system is a bit wonky. Definitely have to tap the action button several times, or well, game over... :eek: (thank gob for the replay system)

20. Pitta

Pitta Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2008
    Male
    Italy
    Game Impressions

DISCLAIMER: I've been a long time fan of the game, so I'll concentrate on the port...for me the game is a must have for every adventure lover and an all time masterpiece.

After reading this and that I admit I was VERY anxious to try this game.
    Hype was skyrocketing since the announcement so it was really easy to be disappointed, I personally adviced Mechner on his blog back in the days to do an iOS port.
    I'm sorry for other experiences (iPhone 5) but I'm super happy to report that the port is absolutely flawless on iPad 3 with iOS6.
    More...I played just a bit but I think it's absolutely stellar.
    For starters...I really can't belive the game has aged so well.
    I remember very low res graphics...and I really do not think DotEmu could access to higher res assets than the original ones....so I was very and pleasantly surprised seeing how good is the experience on the super high res retina screen.
    Of course it's not retina like the splash screen (where the figures are pixel perfect), but it retains the beauty of the original game and it's pleasant to the eye.
    Overall, you will sink in this experience in absolutely no time, prepare yourself to be captured by this gorgeous aureal-visual experience.
    The music score is awesome, as I remebered.

I suggest (imho should be the default....iOS users are not that dumb :p) to remove the online help screen (arrows and whatnot) from being ALWAYS on top of the screen....it ruins the experience imho and you always got them when you press the screen.

I *LOVE* the fact I can switch seamlessy between the various languages versions.

What else can I say...I concentrated just on the port, if you have questions about the actual game just ask.
    They added multiple save slots, Gamecenter Achievements (to new players...DO NOT READ THEM...to DotEmu...maybe they should be with hidden text? Seemed a bit spoilerish to me)...overall I had a great experience and had no problems whatsoever to the point that the whole interface seems built from the ground up with touch devices in mind.
    Actually...I just sinked in the game forgetting everything else, once again, without anything that kept me from enjoying it...on the contrary I was amazed all over again.
    This, in my book, is what I call a great port (barring any bugs I didn't experienced...knock on wood obviously).

The only thing I would add it's iCloud support.
    I have yet to try the game on iPhone, and I think it's more suited to the iPad, but being Universal (hell yeah DotEmu, this is the way to go) iCloud could be really useful, if not because, being the game so big, one could delete it in emergency and reinstall it later without loosing any progression.

But other than that, it's quite perfect.

Now excuse me, but I'm heading to Munich....