iPad The Killer App

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by McDanielAwesome, Dec 27, 2008.

1. McDanielAwesome

Dec 7, 2008
    Where is the iPhone's killer app?
    At the start of the app store it seemed to be super monkey ball but then everybody started disliking it, when brother in arms was released it did good fora while, but I think people didn't really want to pay $10 for it even though it's a great price.
    Rolando was hyped but in my opinion based on it's. CHart positions it really hasn't sold as expected.

So when will the app store finally have it's killer app?

2. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

It hasn't sold as expected?? Its what, #9, and at $9.99 its bringing wheelbarrows of money in for Simon and the ngmoco team. Rolando is definately the killer app. That or iFart Mobile. :D

3. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    I liked Super Monkey Ball, and it remains one of my favorites. If that doesn't cut it for everyone, then I'm sure 2009 will bring in more.

4. lazyrawr

lazyrawr Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    What exactly do you mean by killer app? We talking about Phone sales, or app sales?

I think the killer app, would be the App Store...
    It's definitely changed my perception of the iPhone/Touch and we all know it's raised the bar for all competitors.

5. McDanielAwesome

Dec 7, 2008
    By killer app I mean it has huge amounts of success for extremey long amounts of times, rolando is Already dropping spots it used to be number 8 now it's the 12 th .

I'm talking about the true killer app, an app that makes someone buy an iPhone/touch or an app that you see in everybodys home screen. Just like almost everybody with a ps3/360 has call of duty 4 and almost all wii owners have mario kart.

6. Shroud

Shroud Active Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Hero of Sparta seems to be one of the better graphical games, also Ferrari GT and Snail Mail are both well done.

7. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    We will see a true Killer App once big developers learn that they don't have to make watered down versions of apps for the iPhone. They should go ahead with larger games.

8. rIcHrAnDoM

rIcHrAnDoM Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Steelworker/Welder
    Indiana, USA
    I've been on alot of other sites and lots of people say they are getting the iPhone/itouch based on SimCity and seeing EA developing games.

9. brewstermax

Ok. Well then thats what I'm saying. iFart mobile. But really some people got iPhones for SMB. Just like some people also went on ebay and got copies of SMB for Gamecube to play after WWDC. But a single killer app. Well, you can't honestly say. Nothing has lasted more than a few weeks, and the App Store is still just a toddler, so there is still time for all of that. COD is a great game, but I don't think people get Xbox for COD. Some get it for Rock Band, so that would be killer on console, but for a real killer on iPhone, well we need major companies to take the market and device seriously, which is an issue here. EA releases bad or unheard oftitles, but if not a killer, Rolando is a turning point for iPhone gaming. I think that major companies will take the platform seriously after that. Gameloft helps things also, but I will wait for WWDC 2009 to see.

I'll put it this way if Steve Jobs leaves Apple, I advise all of us to up and leave. It won't last another 5 years if that happens. Look at the '90's. Those were dark times for Apple, and Steve brought them into the light. Apple doesn't know what to do without him. Microsoft on the other hand makes crap anyway, so they can have all kinds. Unstable CEOs and everything, and life goes on. Phil Schiller would be the best replacement. I'd like for you all to go through this multiple outcome book here. Its really good.

Ok that whole thing was off topic, but really. Rolando is a turning point, and the real killer will come in 2009 or 2010, not within the first 6 mos. of it existing.

10. McDanielAwesome

Dec 7, 2008
    I agree with you brewster, a major publisher will be the one to release the killer app, what nobody in my opinion has done yet is release that 20+ hour game with even more replay value and a great price. The dAy and iphone gAme has an adcampaign then I think it will have a chNce at being killer app.

Remeber the gameboy pokemon games? Those where only a couple mb's of coding yet they sold millions of gameboys

11. brewstermax

Yes. I do. Those RPGs were great, and personally they are the real reason that we have real handheld game systems today.

12. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Well as someone else pointed out Rolando isn't selling as expected, I'd have to agree with them. Although I LOVE the game, there are lots of people who hate it. There really isn't an in between with Rolando, it just seems like love or hate. I think that if there were more levels (maybe 50) and/or possibly downloadable content, it would sell even better than it is now.

The thing with SMB is that it was on every iPod Touch/iPhone game commercial and it was the first real game for the iDevice. Super Monkey Ball recieved millions(?) because it was getting so much attention from the ads. I think if Apple decides to advertise Rolando, ngmoco will pull in more money and then hopefully they'll have enough money to improve the game further.

13. brewstermax

Well, the last level is way too easy. It is easier than the 3rd or 4th level, and that shocked me. They need to update and fix all this, maybe a world between the city and the shadow worlds. That would fix a lot of things, and tweak the last level (READ: redo it) and it would stop getting this flak.

14. istopmotion

istopmotion Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2008
    Utah
    Also, I'd like to point out that MotoChaser was a pretty big hit for a long time at only a dollar. It's in lots of Apple's ads too.

PS, I think the last level of Rolando may have been made easy on purpose.

15. brewstermax

I don't somebody on iPod Touch Fans Forum found some listing that had 18 levels that were taken out of the game. Something must have went afoul at the last moment, and they ripped them out, and had to fix the last level to be better. I think that it was supposed to be a different level entirely, but it is way too easy. Great game anyway.

16. IzzyNobre

IzzyNobre Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2008
    Canada
    Honestly speaking, Orions could be a killer app if:

The bugs were corrected;
    Had the option for multiplayer.

17. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Examples of DS killer games:
    Nintendogs, Brain Age, Trauma Centre, Cooking Mama.

Examples of Wii killer games:
    Wii Sport, Wii Fit, Zelda.

It's the must-have games that feels exclusive to a certain console and define the console itself.

18. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Agreed.

Zelda was the reason why I bought the N64. Final Fantasy was the reason why I bought the PSX and PS2. Those were killer games. I can't imagine anyone buying a iPod Touch or iPhone b/c of Super Monkey Ball.

19. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Oh, and makes you want to buy the console just because of that particular games! (Thanks Mr. Blue :D)

I also can't imagine anyone wanting to buy iPhone just for SMB, Hero of Sparta, Trism, SnailMail, or AuroraFeint. So maybe the short answer to the original question is no, we don't have any yet.

20. TheOZ

TheOZ Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2008
    If by killer app you mean one that everyone has and actually likes I would say TapTapRevenge(even though im not in love with the game and havent played it for months.) Even though this is not even close to my favorite apps almost everyone seems to have this application and like it enough to keep it...

Honestly im kind of surprised how far the app store has progressed over ~6-8 month period I have high hopes for the 2009 app store:D developers are starting to see what customers want, and they've had plenty of time to experience sets of trial and error processes. App store 09 will be amazing.