The Jamzu Daily Double

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by DougNicola, Feb 21, 2010.

1. DougNicola

DougNicola Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    OK, a couple of questions for everybody.

Why did everyone get hung up on A7? :)

How well do you feel the contest worked? Any suggestions?

Please feel free to let me know any thoughts here or via PM.

I hope you all enjoyed this first day! Four more chances this week!

~Doug

2. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Congrats btw, when you post it I noticed that I forgot you could reverse that block :(
    You deserve it for seeing it (harder to see than the 2nd one)

And great contest Doug, will be here tomorrow :D

3. haffertee

haffertee Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Thanks, Khamous.

That was tough. & then I posted my 2nd moves early because I didn't know I was supposed to wait... I immediately got the pm & saw I wasn't supposed to post, so i went and edited to clear my post.

I kept reloading the page, meanwhile, the contest was already continued in the next page! I hurried to post my 2nd moves.

4. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

It's deceiving. There's nothing in the way, so you just want to go for it. Too bad you can only move one space. lol

I didn't realize that round 2 would be the same set of puzzles. For some reason, I was thinking that new boards would be given to us each round. Knowing this will change my strategy in the future days.

5. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    #45 DougNicola, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
    And thanks for playing today, everyone! :) You guys completely had me on the edge of my seat!

CzarCastic, I think you are right about that. That open lane looks great, but you are only moving one space. I hope that the second round confusion didn't throw you off too much.

I have to admit, when Johanna first showed me position one as a possible selection for the contest, I just kind of froze like a deer in the headlights. "Huh...?" was my first thought. When she pointed out the next roll block situation, I knew it was a good one. But I didn't expect it to be quite that devious!

~Doug

6. CzarCastic

CzarCastic Well-Known Member

Well, it sounds like haffertee had his second answer ready to go right away, so it probably wouldn't have matter. But, I was confused for a minute and wasted time scrolling back through the couple of pages of posts looking for new boards before realizing that I should have been studying the first set of puzzles prior to round two. Tomorrow I won't waste that kind of time.

7. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    Good point, Czar! I think I should post the boards again when I give the GO! for each round. It seems like that would make it easier. Thoughts?

8. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    I think it is not necessary as it woud clutter the topic, personally every time I see a Jamzu board I think is a new one, as long as it is specified in the rules of the 1st post (or in the post you do each day with the boards) it is not neccesary to post them twice or 3 times.

9. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    yeah, cluttering up the thread with extra boards could create just as much confusion. Maybe more.

10. haffertee

haffertee Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    I had the 1st page open in one tab on my browser and my reply open in a 2nd tab. 2 windows might even have been better. The reloading looking for the "go" was nerve-wracking!

11. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    I think the two window idea is probably best! I will try and announce a more or less exact time that I will be putting up my post giving the GO AGAIN if necessary (but you'll still have to wait for my post!). I don't want to stress people out with constant refreshing. The contest itself is stressful enough without that! I'll see what I can do...

12. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    I had the same design as haffertee. And yes, the GO AGAIN at a random time does give a luck factor in.

13. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Grats Haffertee! Maybe next time I won't be in the middle of 25 man Lich King attempts. :p (We got him though!)

14. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    You can always say "AFK" and have 24 dead angry men when you come back :p

15. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    I'm the main tank :x

16. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    I want to add that Khamous has come up with some very persuasive reasoning that B3-C4 for position one is as equally a good move as A2, and also that it would be distinctly better than something like B6-C5.

The gist of his reasoning is that you get three open lanes with this move, that you can potentially move forward in lane 3 where Blue is already double-blocked, and then attack behind in this lane, and that B6-C5 is not as strong because Blue can also open in lane 6, potentially getting free.

These are all great reasons for this move. There is not going to be a change in result here (and Khamous was the only one to suggest this alternative), and I'm not yet fully convinced this would be overall better. But it certainly could be.

Khamous, if you want to add anything that I missed, or elaborate on this idea, please feel free. There is definitely the problem that you are blocking yourself with this move, and that if Blue got a 6, he could open a serious attack with something like I4-C6, but it is a very interesting alternative.

~Doug

17. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    #57 Khamous, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    No, I think that was pretty much my point with it, and well, I4-C6 would be a strong move either way, it may trap your lane 5, in this scenario but every high roll number has a better option (pressure on the free lanes as a 6 means blue didn't reverse on lane 2) and the lower ones can be used to clear (lower numbers like a 2), move the one considered the best move (as it has a 7 movement space) (with a 1), and 3 and 4 can be used in moves such as C4-G2 or B6-F6, and even, for a stronger attack, another 6 could be used in B4-H6

18. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    #58 DougNicola, Feb 23, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Hmm, Khamous, the more I look at the potential of Blue doing I4-C6 with a 6, the more B3-C4 is looking, possibly, a tad too dangerous. Not only are you completely trapped at B5, but if Red gets a 1, 2 or 3 on his next roll, he has no way to open a lane.

And if Blue followed I4-C6 with a roll of 5 or 6 and moved J4, you'd be seriously under the gun.

19. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    But essentially every move available to red with A2, is avalable to red with B3-C4, if you really look at it, you're trading a trapped that you wouldnt use for a stronger attack.

EDIT: Final call is on you, but I really think that move opens more possibilities than A2, making it overall stronger.

20. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    I definitely see your point. I think this one will have to shake out with more analysis. And it could certainly go the way of B3-C4.