The Jamzu Daily Double

Discussion in 'Promo Codes and Contests' started by DougNicola, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    #481 Khamous, Mar 28, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2010
    Not really.

the only way to get Jammer in 3 to 2, 4 and 6 is that red absolutely forgets what he/she is doing and forgets lane control, which is totally on red's side. Atm he can't even get into 6 as he is a black-spotted jammer so, yeah. Lane 2, when h2 is moved will be owned by red, preventing that (as even a 1 stops that) and lane 4 you're still basin yourself on the 1/6 vs 5/6 probability that red will only get a 1 (not to forget that in all of those you're considering that blue is consequently getting an even number)

It is as good if you count the jammers, yes, but it is not as good if you consider the freedom you've giving to blue. Not even a 1 can elp him on G3, and even on E7, even when blue moves that F7 jammer you're halving his probability of a move here (compared to C7).

For blue to care about reversing jammers down to up, it has to be freer, for now its worries are up, as it has no moves. Even IF he managed to reverse, C7 is a move that can be done perfectly at a later moment, while H4-G3 (or even E7) are moves that require more timing (as they give blue less space) being better applied sooner.

2. haffertee

haffertee Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2010
    Congrats, Spork, and Cathy!
    It was fun. (and heart-pounding as you said!)

3. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Forgot to add something:

By the logic in which you're argumenting C7 to be the best, H4-C3 would be even better, as it cannot bounce on G7 to the left, being only able to bounce to the right, AND the right (refering to lane 6) is unaccesible atm (it is full)

4. haffertee

Feb 13, 2010
    You know, I think when the TTT came out, I was looking for much harder moves. Doug said it was going to be really tough--I saw 2/3 of those moves right away. The 3rd one I was but just chose a different one...

I think it seemed harder than it really was.

Like maybe I should be missing something??

5. DougNicola

DougNicola Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    Thanks, Spork! I'm really glad you enjoyed this. We're going to find many other ways to have fun Jamzu contests, that challenge both the deep analysis and heart-pounding sides of the game! :D

Along these lines, we're thinking of a time around mid-May for the next Jamzu contest here on TA. Not decided what format yet, but I'll keep everyone posted! :)

6. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    *pausing the dicussion*

NOT MAY 20 PLS I have concert! (Aerosmith)

ALSO REMEMBER TO MENTION THE SIDELINE RULE PEOPLE WE NEED TO VOTE AND DECIDE ON THIS! I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT FOR IT TO BE IMPLEMENTED (mind you I've won half of the days so far, but I think it is important to get new blood around)

7. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    H4-C3 could be even better! Too bad no one, until now, spotted it. Including me. :) The crazy rabbit hole that is Jamzu just goes deeper and deeper! :D

8. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    That means, technically the contest isnt over, then, as the best move hadn't been pmed by anyone... until I mentioned it

9. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    The TTT is over! :) Now on to the next new contest!

10. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    #490 DougNicola, Mar 28, 2010
    A sideline rule (meaning previous winners sit out for a game or two) is something I'd like to get more feedback on. But we will probably implement one, to some degree, for the start of the next contest. There's been some very good ideas from several players about this!

For example, we may implement a contest where *no* previous winners can enter, and an open contest of some other form at the same time. Lots of possibilities!

11. haffertee

Feb 13, 2010
    What sideline rule?

12. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    basically, we need to find a way that people to win too much (me, spork, you) stop playing for a couple of days in order for a different person to win. Doug should talk more about this.

13. seang

seang Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    i agree.. i think it would be good for advertising and add more competition if we could get more people to compete in the competition( even if it hurts my chances at winning):D

14. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    Doug is accepting suggestions on how the Sideline rule should work, w/o banning the winners forever, so you can just PM him if you have an idea (I've PMed him with 2 so far, but he hasnt mentioned them here).

15. TheSporkWithin

TheSporkWithin Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2010
    College student, studying English/Japanese lit.
    Honestly, it's not like the game is so complicated that people can't pick it up and best us, we don't always get the best moves instantly. I wish this game, or at least the contest, could get a front-page posting, that might get some more competition in here.

As to the sideline rule... I dunno. I think part of the thrill is knowing that you're competing against people who you know are pretty good. I don't know if a victory would mean as much if you had the nagging feeling that "If Khamous had been playing I never would have won" in the back of your mind. But maybe it would get a better turnout, I really don't know.

16. Khamous

Aug 15, 2009
    I think the point is to train the less experienced to be able to play, like, I feel that some people dont even look here in fear of not even being able to post a legal move, knowing people that post answers in the 1st minute or that take 3 minutes but get the answer right in the 1st try, is kind of off-putting.

17. haffertee

Feb 13, 2010
    Both good points. I'd be willing to be sidelined to see others come try it out. I sorta sidelined myself a few times already.:eek:

18. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Maybe "anyone who has already won a game in this week's Daily Double must wait until round two to post guesses," or something like that.

Or even just post a daily puzzle without a prize, to give people a low-key environment within which to practice.

19. DougNicola

Jun 8, 2009
    iPhone Game Developer
    All over the place
    #499 DougNicola, Mar 28, 2010
    Hey guys, I'm really happy to see this discussion of the sideline rule. It's really important to us to get this right. Spork's point above, about beating the other good players, is one point we're keeping front and center.

But the other point about getting new players involved is equally important, if not more so.

There are zillions of ways to get more people's attention, and at the same time keeping the level of competition high in certain Jamzu contests, so we'll find the best balance one way or another.

I'm *really* glad to see everyone's feedback here! Please share as much as you wish.

One thing is, a second round handicap rule I don't think would work. It would make it even easier for the best players to pounce with the right answers, while other players, who posted correct moves in the first round, could feel used.

20. TheSporkWithin

Jan 16, 2010
    Very true. Hm... Maybe use the normal Daily Doubles as a qualifier for the Triple Twist? You're only allowed to win one Daily Double and you aren't allowed to enter the Triple Twist unless you've won a round that week?