The iPod touch may be more powerful, but it's not being used at it's full potential!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Paulio, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India

DS :eek: Iphone/iTouch Blows the DS in terms of graphics and performance. Sure i also believe that iPhone ain't as good as PSP but i could be wrong since right now we have only the second generation of games coming out. And if the gamepad accessory comes out, it will be comparable to PSP

2. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Undercocked?
    I think you mean underclocked!!
    I personally disagree with your views on iPhone games.
    I don't know why people are dismissing the iPhone as a platform
    so early.
    It has only been a few months since the app store was launched
    and remember, high quality psp games take 2+ years to develop!!:mad:

3. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Yeah I suppose the ds is graphically inferior. But play any decent racing/ action game on the psp, and it blows the iPhone/touch away. And while the iPhone games are "still reaching their potetial", psp games haven't necessarily peaked. It's not as though iPhone/touch games are going to continue improving, wheras all availabe cometition will stay static.

4. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    #24 AchillesReborn, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    oopS typo! On my iPhone too. Where's that damn auto correct when you need it?

You think the current format of iPhone/touch will last two years? And if it does, you really think it will perform better at action type games than the psp lite? Even if it does, by that time the goalposts will have moved, and a higher standard will exist.
    The highly unlikely addition of some sort of attachable gamepad, adding to the size and reducing the convinience
    of portable play, still won't level the playing field. The psp was designed with games in mind. You don't cover
    the microphone when holding it, it isn't awkward to play with the adapter plugged in. It has a higher perfomance
    level.
    I much prefer my iPhone to my psp. Much much much. But because I can use the Internet and play games
    online anywhere where there is 3g. Which here in japan is everywhere. Also, I carry my cellphone all the time,
    so carrying a psp in addition is just annoying. But for games like BIA, it just seems like the device is being
    pushed in the wrong direction. Yeah, it can do it. And it's not bad. And it'll get better. But with the current
    interface, it'll never match the psp in those genres.
    I'm not dismissing the iPhone as a gaming format. It has a lot of potential. But I'd hate to see a slew of below par psp imitations rather than games that utilize the strengths of the device.

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Guys, topic please. I know everyone has all these views on the iDevice as a portable gaming console, but I'm not talking about that k. Fact is, it is. It liscensed and sold as one. But the point is there is more than one type, there's iPod touch 1/2G and iPhone /3G and they all have different specs. My idea is why not have games pick up what device it's being used on and change the settings according to those specs allowing for the smoothest possible gaming on each device. It's not a question of is it better than the PSP or whatever, it's getting the best possible experience out of what everyone here has payed money for.

6. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I'm commenting on this even tho it's topic irrelivant as IMO it's very wrong.

iDevice games will, and are, steadily getting better. it's a brand new device and input concept in gaming, you can't just add ports and adjust to fit, you have to re-construct the game so it will work with what you have. People are yet to really discover this and the only console version that has been warped for iPhone is racing.
    You can not compare a dedicated gaming machines games with an iPod game! Why? Because it's like comparing games on a 360 with an N gage. Gees!

7. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    #27 AchillesReborn, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    You still seem to think that while the iPhone is advancing, other formats will remain static. I think that a) psp and even ds launch/early titles (Mario cart, mario bros.) are far better in action/platform/racing genres than iDevices (nice term btw). B) psp game development will continue to improve, other devices will enter the Market etc. How good iDevice games will be in a year or two years is mostly irrelevent.

I'm not really sure what you are saying is 'very wrong'. That psp titles are superior in action/racing genres now?that gaming development in other formats won't remain static? Or just the very idea of comparing them?

And many people/media are commenting the comparison between the psp and idevices.

8. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

Paulio was saying that the iDevices are a very new platform, devs have had the SDK for less than 1 year! On top of this, the input methods are quite different from traditional d-pads/analogue sticks + buttons, requiring devs to develop an understanding of how to use them in their games. If you look at early DS games (or any new system for that matter), you see this too. But with all of these, you still have some traditional input. Paulio was simply saying that given time, devs will understand and develop better control schemes and optimize their code further.

9. THEDeliriumTrigger

THEDeliriumTrigger Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    I would just like to comment to the thread starter, the whole point I had regarding touchgrind was that they made performance equal to the first gen iPod not because they wanted to make both devices equal, but because, with the slower rate, it was much MUCH easier to preform tricks. Just saying. I know you have a valid point, but you missed my point in the other thread :p

10. AchillesReborn

Nov 29, 2008
    I see! Well, I`m not disputing that the games on the iphone will improve. Already some games I really love, that wouldn`t or even couldn`t exist on the psp.

P.S Sorry for hijacking your thread!!

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for a shocker at Macworld.- An independant gaming device, same as ipotch, just have a d-pad, and analog stick. Please Apple, please. I'd pay $500 for that.