The iPod touch may be more powerful, but it's not being used at it's full potential!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Paulio, Dec 14, 2008.

1. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    I was just thinking the other day, why not have a window pop up at the start of a game (or just a general app) asking which device is being used (or have some thing that can check bios or whatever) so that if your using the 2G touch, you can unleash it's full potential?
    If you’re using a PC you have the choice to set the settings of a game so that it runs smoothly and fits on your screen etc. So why not just have auto settings (only need be on the more expensive apps/games that really push what the device can do) so you can play games to the highest quality depending on your device?
    I have a 2G, and do not believe that my gaming experience should be restricted because others who want to play the game have a less powered device! However I have an old PC which is incapable of playing anything near new games and this annoys me, and I don't want that same annoyance on 1G touch users, so surly being able to choose the level of graphics used would be a win-win for everyone?
    Maybe someone in mid development of a game who has the option to try on all devices should give this a go and see how it works?

What do you (especially those with the understandment of this as a possibilty) think about this? If Apple truly wants to compete with the PSP, they need to let the games on their devices push the limits on ALL their devices.

2. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    Good developers already do this automatically.

arn

3. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    #3 The Game Reaper, Dec 14, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2008
    yes.
    I have a 2g touch and I would love to use
    its full potential!

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    #4 NotYou, Dec 14, 2008
    It's really not that much more powerful. Games made specifically for one device would kill their sales. There's a few good online games out right now that don't seem to do so well because they're meant mainly for the iPhone. Making it so a game could only play on the touch wouldn't go too far.

5. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Really? I never new! So they access the BIOS and find out what the device is and auto adjust settings? That's cool! I just brought this up cos TouchGrind has become all slow and annoying since the recent update and someone said to me that it's become like that so that it was level with all the devices or something? Can you contact them and explain how to get this to work?

NO! You completely side stepped my point! The touch shouldn't and, more importantly, won't become a seperate gaming device *facepalm* .. think about it.. But instead should have games know the device specs so that the graphics etc. will auto adjust to the full potential of the device (like in PC games). Then TG can be played at a reasonable pace, unlike the current "fixed" slow annoying pace..
    But you agree, so (Y) :D 2G touch FTW!

6. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    True, but you also missed my point. Or at least started talking about something else in MY thread :p
    Point being games should run not on the 1G specs, but on the devices specs
    And no one knows how less/more powerful the devices are in coparison in good detail, but play TG on a 2G touch post and pre update and there is a huge difference (which according to a poster is so it's even play on all devices. I just don't think I should put up with the annoying pace if my device and game can be played to higher detail/FPS/speed etc.)

BTW CPU difference alone is pretty significant.. it's along the lines of 412 compared with 523MHz that's pretty much 25% better.

7. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    I got you point. I was just commenting on The Game Reaper's post.
    I actually agree with you. It would make things a lot better for everybody, not just the 2G Touch people.

8. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yeah I thought that must have been what you were talking about, and I also misread some of it; and

Yes and that's what everyone wants :D, I was just talking on a personal behalf.

9. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    No!
    I just meant that they should market it
    as a direct competitor to the psp and ds.

10. Paulio

Paulio Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Local IGA (supermarket)
    Tasmania, Australia
    ah ok. I read it like NotYou did, that you meant make seperate games for it.

I think I should just shut up and stop posting cos I misunderstood what someone was saying >.<

11. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Oh, I see. I agree then.:p
    They seem to be headed that way. I bet once a few more good games arrive they'll start doing that.

12. Phoenixfury

Phoenixfury Member

Nov 23, 2008
    Personaly I'd love it if Apple were to automatically unlock the full CPU speed whenever a Touch or iPhone are plugged into an ac outlet. I'd bet Apple would sell a ton of AC power adapters if they allowed the CPU to run full bore in this way.

13. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I hate playing games with the charger plugged in
    It's really annoying because you can't wrap your hand
    around the ipod with the ac charger jutting out.

14. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

#14 Frand, Dec 14, 2008
    This clock-speed worship is really pointless. Those with 2G iTouch get the benefit that their games load faster and may have somewhat smoother frame rates.

Handheld devices shouldn't change their performance depending on their power supply. That would only discourage people from using them in situations where they are intended to be used.

15. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    I agree.
    It's meant to be a portable platform!:D

16. Phoenixfury

Phoenixfury Member

Nov 23, 2008
    I'm not suggesting that the game developers should take advantage of a CPU boost in this way. I'm just saying that when the Touch is plugged in, you should get full CPU speed. This would benifit the ocasional CPU grinder that does get choppy or sluggish when running on the battery. I do understand that playing on the ac adapter isn't for everyone, but I don't have any problem playing games while using mine.

17. Phoenixfury

Phoenixfury Member

Nov 23, 2008
    So are portable radios, but at least you can replace their batteries when they run out of juice.

18. The Game Reaper

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    Point taken.

19. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Well i thought the GPU's of all the devices are the same. So graphically it won't make a difference. The only difference would be in the loading times and the frame rates

20. AchillesReborn

AchillesReborn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #20 AchillesReborn, Dec 14, 2008
    I may be wrong, but isn't the iPhone undercocked? Presumably to improve stability and battery life.
    No point getting caught up on CPU speeds. If the rest of the specs are equal, the slight processor increase will have a minimum effect on performance. If you're looking for high end portable gaming performance, pick up a new psp lite or dsi, not an iPod touch.
    Personally I'd rather the games available steered away from BIA style games. Let's face it, not only are the graphics and game depth way behind the psp, the controls just aren't suited to this interface. On the other hand, games that utilize the strengths of the iphone/touch devices might not work well on the psp. Especially games that allow multiplayer over 3g. I know that's only the iPhone, but that's one of the main advantages I can see over the psp. Game storage is also much better than carrying around discs, and if utilized correctly the touch screen can make certain types of games better than they could possibly be on the psp.

That was all a bit off topic, but the obsession that some people seem to have over the iPod touch 2g being faster does seem strange. The iPhone/touch can't deliver high performance games. The extra framerate per second on the 2g touches doesn't change that. Developers should focus on the strengths of the device, not trying to squeeze extra framerates out trying to imitate the psp.