The Incredible Machine (Game Idea)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by doctorded, Jan 25, 2009.

1. doctorded

doctorded Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT Engineer
    Plantsville, CT
  2. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    Sounds a lot like Fantastic Contraption.

3. highonlife

highonlife Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2008

Not at all. Check it before you wreck it.

Sierra published that game... right? Haven't heard from them in a while.

I beat the incredible machine 2 when I was a kid. Such a fun game.

4. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    If you're going to make that comparison, Fantastic Contraption sounds like The Incredible Machine, not the other way around.

There are newer versions of The Incredible Machine that would work great on the iDevices. I have a version called "Crazy Machines" on my Mac and I love it. I'd be thrilled if they made a version or even just ported one.

5. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    fantastic contraptions is a tangentially similar concept, but the incredible machine had a lot more opportunity for depth.
    i'm not saying fc isn't a very deep game (i just got it and it has me pretty stumped in a few places), but tim was way more than just wheels and rods. i actually feel that a game like enigmo has more in common with tim than fc—you have several kinds of tools at your disposal to complete a goal, but a limited number of each—but even then, there were way more tools in tim. ramps, like ten different balls each with their own physics, balloons, anti-grav pads (which make the balloons go down!), cats that chase mice, mice that chase cheese, levers, switches, electricity, gears, ropes, dirigibles, like five different ways to make fire. the list keeps going. not to mention that the goals could be anything from "get all of the balls into baskets" to "turn on the computers" instead of the same goal every time. a game like this is just begging to be iphoned.

for those of you that haven't ever played it, the incredible machine 3 is available for download on mac garden, if you have some means of running classic OS. highly highly recommended (although a lot of the puzzles are fairly easy, this has more to do with original target audience than game design)

6. Midnight Status

Midnight Status Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Jeff Tunnell, the creator of the Incredible Machine might get to it someday. He was quite impressed with Fantastic Contraption though. We chatted about it on his blog not too long ago.

http://makeitbigingames.com/

7. not even close

incredible machine was so much more in-depth

8. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    So it's Fantastic Contraption, just more in-depth, right?

Sounds like I was reasonably close.

9. Jaytee

Jaytee Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2009
    #10 Jaytee, Jan 27, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 28, 2009
    ...no
    it's not.

the names of the two games are synonyms. that's about the only similarity. FC is about building structures and using physics. TIM uses physics a little (weights of balls, etc), but for the most part is not a physics or a building game. much more similar to a rube goldberg drawing than anything in fantastic contraption.