The icon is more important than you would think...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by dashzed, Mar 28, 2009.

1. dashzed

dashzed Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2009
    This is more of a musing thread than a question or anything, but I just realized the other day that the icon of an app is SOOOO important, more so even than the screenshots or description.

For instance, Cube Runner is a perfectly nice game, but i hate the icon so much that it is on my last page and i always consider deleting it just because it looks so ugly on my device.

Or, for example, Armageddon Squadron. From the reviews i read of it, it sounded like a terrible game, however i loved that icon so much and found the screenshot of the splash screen so impressive, that i bought it anyway.

It also helps make people choose your app out of a list of simialar ones, like Arvale for example. All the reviews weren't that good, but it had the best icon. I'm not really sure why i made this thread, maybe just to remind developers or future developers that the icon is sooooo important, so make it pretty.

And whoever developed Cube Runner, FindIt, Strategic Assault, The Corsair, Aircoaster 3d and Westward...

PLEASE CHANGE YOUR ICON!!!:D

2. pablo19

pablo19 Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    I agree, the only reason I actually still have "MayanTime" is because it's the awesomest icon I have. And I have iMaya which has the same thing Mayantime has but with lots more content

So yeah, good icon is a winner

3. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    Same. I agree with you a lot on this one. On AppSniper, if the icon looks kinda dumb then I don't even look at it. If the icon actually looks kind of cool, then I would look at the screenshots and judge for myself if the game is any good.

4. le'deuche123

le'deuche123 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Guilty....It's not a dealbreaker for me to buy a game I've heard about that has a crappy icon, but if I'm just browsing, nice icon's tend to draw my attention more. When Peter updates vector tanks the icon always gets better, and for some reason I just like it that much more:)

5. anonymous

anonymous Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    skater
    US
    ya that is really true!!

6. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    Games like Word Fu and Zen Bound are on my front page because their icon is so great.

7. supg328911

supg328911 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    pro ping pong player!!!!
    USA BABY
    haha mine to :D

8. dashzed

Mar 2, 2009
    yeah, thats why Brothers in Arms and Hero of Sparta stayed at the top of my first page even after i never played them, just because i like looking at the icons lol:D

9. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    The thing that pisses me off is when the icon is amazing. I mean, it looks better the Xbox or Playstation game box art. It's glorious. The colors, the shading, the lighting. They went all out! Psyched, I check the game out. And it's the crummiest, ugliest, most pixelated piece of junk I've ever seen :mad:

10. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    Alright now let's make things interesting. What Icons do you guys like the most?

I'm probably going to go with bobble surfer and kyper.

11. dashzed

Mar 2, 2009
    #11 dashzed, Mar 28, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2009
    Armageddon Squadron, BiA, HoS, Edge, Sway, Arvale, Asphalt 4, Zen Bound, Lets Golf, Flick Fishing

now to make in interesting, I will list the ones below that i HATE:

Asphalt 4, Arvale, Armageddon Squadron, Flick Fishing

see? icons and liking don't match up, but hey i bought them, so it worked on my pea-sized brain.

SHINY!!!

12. le'deuche123

Feb 5, 2009
    That's funny I think the one Icon that really sold me on a crap game was pop. I just didn't think the game was very fun. And definitely not worth the $5.

13. Exile

Exile Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2009
    student
    usa
    #13 Exile, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
    I like the icons that come with the pocket god updates.
    iDracula's current icon is probably my favorite as of now.

14. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

Jailbreak. Anyone who is an art aficionado has to jailbreak to get themes, and thus solve the issue of having horrid icons. Join a nice themes site and there you go. No more problems with ugly icons.

If you don't like the icon, either jailbreak, complain to the dev, or shut up.

15. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    My icons are all Jordan shoes. That solves the problem of ugly icons.

16. iKoda

iKoda Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    Student
    This might be weird.
    But I Like to Organize my icons so they match by colour.
    For example I have a row of Tap Tap Dance, Tap Tap 2, guitar Rock Tour, then edge. Below that row I have Scoops, Upthere, Tetris, then Big brain.
    Etc.

17. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I organize mine by how bad they suck. Or used to. Now Categories and Poof solves that.