Universal The Horus Heresy: Battle of Tallarn (by HexWar Games Ltd)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by BigDich, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Defard

Defard Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    UK
    meh...so far

So I havent bought a Hexwar game in a long time (always seemed far too simplistic for my liking) but thought I would give them another chance with this.

Super simplistic (nothing like a slitherine game)...poor interface...doesnt even show who is attacking you during a turn unless you scroll to the action....oh and 2 lots of IAP for future missions (which cannot all be bought together for a discount).

I will try it some more (I am a few games in) but will only come back if its good news to report!

Saying all that, its a couple of quid for simplistic strategy to play on your phone while on the toilet.

2. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    Hah yeah sorry got excited and typed the wrong company.
    Well I've only played the tutorial so far but it seems like if you've played any of the other hex war games then you'll be at home here as it's just the same but with a 40k skin on it. So that's a win in my book and for the sake of 2.99 I'm happy to have it on my phone for my daily commute.

3. blindmuggy

blindmuggy Active Member

Mar 28, 2014
    It's more like a board game than other hex war games your given your units at the start of the mission you can choose a few from some options provided you can't get new ones. each level is a smallish map in which you have to achieve objectives, mainly seems to be king of the hill or destroy all enemies, there is an inapp purchase for chapters 2 and 3 for £1.99 more, it doesn't really bring anything new to the hex war games but for the price a nice game, the graphics are really good I love when something blows up, looks awesome!

4. TheSop

TheSop Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2016
    Does the game use Game Center and does it have cloud saving to play the same profile on different devices?

5. TokyoDan

TokyoDan Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2010
    Boy, TotalBiscuit just did a review on the PC version (he also mentioned the iOS version), and he hated it.
    https://youtu.be/2fCL-lrky-Q

6. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Yeh he did. And it looks boring as hell from his gameplay. Won't be getting this.
    Hex games have just about had their day. Well particularly of this sort which doesn't change the formula at all. It was ok 5 years ago, but now it's just a shame on whoever is trying to cash in.
    iOS is still missing a fully fledged warhammer 40k game reminiscent of the tabletop game of the 90's. One thousand of these hex based games does not equal 1 good warhammer game, if it were to come that is. Sanctus reach is the sort that would be amazing to have on iOS, but that's dreaming.

7. WaveLightGames

WaveLightGames Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Nov 21, 2014
    IT / Finance Manager
    Toronto, Canada
    #27 WaveLightGames, Feb 12, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    From what I'very seen of Sanctus Reach, I don't see any reason why it couldn't be ported to iOS.

I actually plan to build a similar style of game next year and I'm fairly sure I can make something look as good, if not better, run well on iOS.

8. CoreyB

CoreyB Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Aircraft Mechanic
    Chicago, IL
    I agree, they put games out full of bugs and rarely, in my experience, update them.

9. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Day one buy from me.

10. Pickman

Pickman Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2013
    Sanctus Reach is a fun game with solid gfx and mechanics. Tallarn on the other hand seems somehow broken. I have played it quite some time now and everything feels wrong, unbalanced and strange. I still can't figure out, why some units don't do any damage and others instakill my tanks.

11. Tarquelne

Tarquelne Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2015
    Battlefleet Gothic: Leviathan fits the bill, actually applying tabletop rules. Though it's not what you're talking about, since it's a fully fledged* WH40K game rather than straight up WH40K. But I wanted to plug it ... I still consider it the only iOS game to really scratch the 40K itch.

(While "Fully fledged" in many respects, it of course contains only a fraction of all the possible content.)

12. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    This is one sale right now for .99 cents, and you can get all the additional DLC campaigns (each campaign is 6 missions) for .99 cents each right now as well. VERY worth it.. That's a ton of content for $4.00 total.