The Hip-Hop Thread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Omega-F, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Omega-F

Omega-F Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    The beat on that dre song is excellent. Reminds me of Still Dre. Detox is coming now for real. :D

2. CDubby94

CDubby94 Well-Known Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Betty White
    Kanye BROUGHT IT with MBDTF. MOTM2 grew on me but still doesn't compare to Kanye's.

3. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Here's my top 5 of the year:

[​IMG]

Not much to say about it other than it's a great album from beginning to end. Good lyrics, hooks and excellent production.

Favorite song: Night Night

[​IMG]

Was initially disappointed when I first heard it, but it grew on me. ****ing great album. The reason why is so critically acclaimed is because Kanye does good music, no pun at all. Banging beats and some great lines, even if lyrically is nothing amazing.

Favorite song: Devil in a New Dress

[​IMG]

Cudi, while not at the same lyrical level of all the other hip hop artists on my list, is on a league of his own when it comes to create atmospheric, totally unique, and thought inducing music. I absolutely ****ing love the production of this album. Like the cover, it's beautiful, mysterious, dark and incredibly atmospheric.

Favorite song: These Worries

[​IMG]

Such a well produced and balanced album. Both Nas and Damian Marley killed this shit. Damian in particular made me a fan of him with Distant Relatives. Nas has a lot of energy that it seemed he had lost, and he delivers some of the best verses of the year. Like Kanye's album, even someone who doesn't like hip hop is going to enjoy this.

[​IMG]

There's no way around it, Em has that magic touch that makes his music feel so special and personal. Lyrically, I thought the album was excellent. Plenty of memorable lines (Almost Famous), great story telling (Going Through Changes), and classic, light hearted Shady appearances (So Bad). The production, while subtle, fitted every track extremely well. Definitely my favorite album of the year.

Favorite song: No Love

4. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Those would be my top 5, only not in that order.

I would have it ranked:
    5. Distant Relatives
    4. Sir Luscious
    3. MOTM2
    2. Recovery
    1. MBDTF

I think Recovery was good but Kanye's album was just a masterpiece.

5. StarCraftIsGreat

StarCraftIsGreat Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2010
    Recovery wasn't bad, but it wasn't good. This would be my favorite albums this year.

1.[​IMG]
    Sadistik & Kid Called Computer - The Art Of Dying

[​IMG]
    Shad - TSOL

6. YouSuckDude

YouSuckDude Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    any atmosphere fans here?

7. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    ^But of course! I completely forgot about his EP this year. I'd change that to #2 and TSOL to #3.

8. YouSuckDude

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
  9. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    I love your numbers 5 and 4. I love Nas and Damien Marley, but I wasn't feelin the collabo too much :/ And I wouldn't touch "Recovery" with a 10-foot pole lol. Different strokes.

Top 3!

3. How I Got Over The Roots
    2. Sir Lucious... Big Boi
    1. MBDTW Kanye West

10. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #91 Booch138, Nov 30, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
    I saw Atmosphere live in some random f*ucking forest in flagstaff here in AZ. Needless to say, that shit was a trip. Overcast! Is one of my favourite records of all time.

Edit: Listening to Seven's Travels again. Forgot how bad ass this album is too.

11. YouSuckDude

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
    YES! i saw them in lawrence KS and got slug to autograph my "when life gives you lemons" poster. happy to see theres other fans of good music on here :D

my favorite atmosphere song is probably woman with the tattooed hands or godlovesugly...i dunno i like em all to be honest.

12. YouSuckDude

Nov 18, 2010
    Above My Postcount
  13. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Eminem just got nominated for 10 grammies. Pretty sure he'll grab that Album of the Year award :D

14. alchemistrpm

alchemistrpm Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Em won't get album of the year. And not just because pitchfork gave it a 2.5...

I'd like to see Arcade Fire win for The Suburbs. If it's a hip-hop record, then MBDTW.

15. Lombardo

Lombardo Well-Known Member

It should go to The Left for Gas Mask, but then again probably 100 people know what that is.

16. Omega-F

Aug 20, 2009
    Graphic Designer
    USA WA
    Here's why Em will win AOTY: People love Recovery, it was called "a comeback", it spawned 2 of the hottest singles in recent memory, and it just went triple platinum a couple days ago.

Arcade Fire ain't winning. Good album but it's almost impossible for an indie band that few know about to win a grammie like that.

17. Vester

Vester Well-Known Member

You are crazy... Em's CD will most DEFINATELY win album of the year. Arcade Fire is decent but they are are no where near as popular as Em and MDBTW was less than impressive.

18. StarCraftIsGreat

Jul 25, 2010
    First all, Recovery was absolutely horrible. It was all pop crap. MBDTF was less than impressive you say? Wrong. It was really good at the least.

Arcade Fire sucks.