The Harry Potter Series: What's the general consensus here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by kiranb28, Nov 20, 2010.

?

The Harry Potter Series: What's the general consensus here?

1. Liked the books, disliked the movies

16 vote(s)
    29.1%
  2. Disliked the books, liked the movies

4 vote(s)
    7.3%
  3. Liked both the books and the movies

30 vote(s)
    54.5%
  4. Disliked both the books and the movies

2 vote(s)
    3.6%
  5. I don't care about Harry Potter (and probably never will)

3 vote(s)
    5.5%
  6. I don't care about Harry Potter (but am starting to get curious)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    So i've been ignorant towards (most of) the hype surrounding Potter and the books/movies surrounding him. With all the hoopla around the latest movie though, i've been getting tempted to watch all the movies (too lazy to read all of the books right now... meh).

Just curious to see what the general mob says?

2. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    Books, yes (especially the later ones), films, no. Pretty much every film based on a book is a lot worse than the book itself.

3. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    But for someone like me, who doesn't really want to read thousands of pages to catch up on the series (for the sake of hype, sigh... yes), are the movies a bad watch overall?

The LotR series on screen was very condensed as well, but, that didn't stop them from being great movies...

4. Kubba

Kubba Well-Known Member

Oct 20, 2010
    The movies are great as long as you haven't read the books. They leave out so much of the book, and portray characters in such odd ways (In the Goblet of Fire movie, it never mentioned that Rita Skeeter was an Animagus, which was one of the central points of the book). As stand alone movies however, they are action packed, exciting, and generally make sense, although there might be some holes in your understanding if you haven't read the books.

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    The movies are more than enjoyable for someone who didn't read the books. But once you do read them, you'll see how much better they are.

6. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Fair enough - off I go!

Just finished the first movie... one down ;)

7. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I read the first book soon after it came out, and then I read the next 2 or 3 books and watched a couple of the crappy films and got bored with it all. Now I can't stand it and I generally hate anything to do with Harry Potter. At least it's not as bad as Twilight.

8. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    I loved the books, but the movies are a let down. It seems that all of the movies, especially the later ones, leave out important pieces of the story.

9. Andylasian

Andylasian Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    High School
    California
    Books: Yes
    Movies: Not really

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    The whole thing is average at best, but I'd say the movies are borderline terrible if you haven't read the books. Because they obviously aren't able to include everything single thing that happened, the timeline feels messed up and disjointed. It'll cut to another scene and you'll hear someone mention how it's been three months since the last one. The acting from the three kids is also below par, although Emma Watson does actually have a bit of talent and improves with the series, the other two though... dreadful.

11. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

Movies have improved which is good because they were terrible to start but nothing can stand up to the books which are excellent. I still feel that you shouldnt be allowed see the movies unless you read the book. Its hard to believe some people dont even realise its a book.

12. The Game Reaper

The Game Reaper Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2008
    The Emerald Isle
    The only movie that has in any way stood up to its literary counterpart is Blade Runner, despite the bizarre choice to drop Mercerism, which, in my (not so humble) opinion is crucial to the overarching plot and the depth and motivation of the chief protagonist.

The stuff I come out with…

13. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

I really enjoy the books, the movies are meh to me.

14. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    I loved the books and the movies. Yes the movies left out parts but for me I still really enjoyed them, its to be excpected that they are nto as good. Its hard to convey the emotion from a book into the movie. It just cant be done. Plus you are using your own imagination while reading which creates a totally different meaning then the movies. The movies I feel really do a nice job with the limited amount of time they can squeeze everything into. I have rewatched the movies tons of time and each time I enjoy them more. Once you set your mind away from the books you can see how really great the movies are. Highly recommend watching them all, the one movie I was disappointed with was Half Blood Prince because so much of the ending was taken out like the battle inside hogwarts but its still a good movie and I just watched it a couple of days ago to prepare for Deathly Hallows

15. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I love the books and the first four movies. However I just watched deathly hallows and thought too myself "why am I watching twilight?".

16. JCman7

JCman7 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Mechanical Engineering
    NY
    aw come on you can not compare Harry Potter to Twilight...Twilight has no story whatsoever its just nonsense....

17. CaptainAwesome

CaptainAwesome Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Student
    The Island of Berk
    Uh, the seventh film felt exactly like that. After two and a half hours, I felt like absolutely nothing happened. It's because they smashed all the wilderness wandering into that amount of time, which wins as the most boring part of any novel I've ever read, and now contends as the most boring film clip I've ever seen.

18. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    But now that the borring stuff is out of the way, I want to see the rest of it. God, I hate the system.

19. November's Chopin

November's Chopin Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2010
    The books get worse and worse throughout the series. First to third books were the best. I read the sixth, didn't even bother reading the seventh since the sixth nearly bored me to sleep.
    Movies are the opposite, they sort of get better and better with new technology I suppose. But none of them are any good compared to the books.

20. ArcheAngel

ArcheAngel Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2010
    #20 ArcheAngel, Nov 21, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
    WoW

If there acting was below par, I don't think they would have made 7 movies with them.

& if you think HP movies are borderline terrible. Then you obviously missed the 80's

I think your opinion should be omitted until you have actually seen a movie that was made before 1991 cause you obviously either haven't or you just like to use terms losely for dramatic effect.

The books are about snape & lily the movies are about harry.

Books were way better though. The films were a fine adaption (visually stunning I thought).