Universal The Guides [+ Compendium] (by Kevin Bradford LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 17, 2015.

1. UScr00ge

UScr00ge Active Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Anyone figure out the unlock codes for the compendium yet?

2. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Dynamite so far. Vastly superior to the games it was compared to on the TA review.

3. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Your name is totally fitting in here. ;)

I am close to finishing chapter 1 and it's great so far. And the companion & the app both work very well together. The most fascinating part is the lore and story you are learning, bit by bit.It's not just another puzzle game, it's a memorable experience as well.

4. slammajamma28

slammajamma28 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Software Developer
    'Murrica
    I accidentally solved 1.25 by pressing randomly.

Check g the Unwrapper walk through I have no idea how I did it.

absolutely loving this so far

5. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    I'm really loving this, been stumped a couple of times so far and I'm not even that far in :)
    1-16 for instance had me puzzled until I finally figured it out, I had a pen and paper trying to figure out what it was :confused: and then I came back to it a bit later on and did it.
    really enjoying some pretty old school style puzzles and having to actually think (I've not used any of the hints yet) it's a nice change and takes me back to the old games before The internet where it wasn't so easy to cheat and you just had to figure it out yourself.
    really well put together from what I've played so far and I'm looking forward to playing more of it and hopefully it doing well so we see lots more content.
    really appreciate the small file size too ##

6. snKnight

snKnight Member

Nov 19, 2014
  7. scott997

scott997 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Completed! Great fun.

I did notice that the app burns through my battery. I'm not sure why, there is not a lot going on.

Thanks AppUnwrapper for the hint on 2-25. I'm not sure I would have figured out that one.

Any hints on how to unlock the compendium section 2 picture?

8. Glad to help! :)
    I haven't spent much time with the Compendium yet (this heat is making it hard to focus on reading anything). Going to try and delve into it sometime today.

9. Misguided

Misguided Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    #49 Misguided, Aug 20, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2015
    I meant the post from metalcasket, sorry. and I stand by the previous statement. This blows blackbar and TouchTone completely out of the water. Those titles are not remotely in the same league (especially TouchTone, which was a major disappointment).

10. mr_bez

mr_bez Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2012
    I've had to give up on this as it's just impossible to read some of the finer text on my 5S, and I usually have no problem with tiny text.

It'd be one thing if I had to resort to a walkthrough because of the difficulty, but when I just can't read parts of the puzzle it's no fun.

11. Who compared it to TouchTone? TouchTone is a mirror/reflecting game. This is nothing like that. Not even remotely. This is more like DNBHL or Enigmon.

12. P7R

P7R New Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Can anyone tell me what the distress signal is supposed to to?
    I'm stuck on 2-11 and just want to use the ingame hints to go on.
    I pressed the distress signal twice, two of the tree dots are gone but seemingly nothing happened..
    Is it supposed to give some hint popup or anything like this?

13. It emails the developer for hints. Your email didn't open up and try to do that?

14. P7R

P7R New Member

Aug 8, 2015
    No.. But now that I know what it sould do I can mail the developer for hints and support ;-)

15. riverstomp

riverstomp Active Member

Apr 14, 2011
    Faszinating, Irritating

I bought both the game and the compendium.

The game:
    The presentation is slick and minimalistic, presenting interesting puzzles. However the interface could have gained by having a short tutorial: Some UI new elements are suddenly introduced and may be discovered only by accident.

As far as I can tell there are 2 sections with each containing 25 riddles. A third section is visible and displays the text "coming soon". The game is marketed on the app store as containing "Hundreds of interactive puzzles and ciphers...". This is a case of false advertising. 50 is way smaller than "hundreds".

The compendium:
    It is basically a short story with a preface and two chapters. A third chapter can be selected but presents only the text "Coming soon". Each chapter has a riddle which probably can be solved if you solved all the puzzles of the main game. The text also has subtile hints how to deal with some of the game challenges.

While the story itself is interesting I feel my self cheated because it ends abruptly.

My verdict:
    This is an unfinished product which is false advertised. It does currently not provide hundreds of puzzles. There are 50 in the main game. This is irritating at best. The compendium is also unfinished. It ends with chapter 2.
    The presentation itself is very good. The quality of the puzzles of the first chapter is mixed; some of them are solved without much effort.

Given that the current price is 0.99 Euro for each the game and the compendium I would rate it 3 stars: Nobody can tell if/when the game/compendium will be fully finished.

16. Mooro

Mooro Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    This review is spot on. Read the entire Compendium and quite enjoyed the story but was disappointed it ended so abruptly. I am also enjoying the puzzles and I am nearly finished section 2 but as you say 50 puzzles is not hundreds. I would add as well that 1 or 2 of the puzzles were spoiled due to the text being too small to read. On a couple of puzzles I had to resort to a walkthrough and realised I was missing information because I hadn't seen it. I am playing it on an iPhone 5s. The devs really should add into the app description that the app is unfinished in it's current state.

17. I told the devs a couple of weeks ago that they would get this complaint -- I was hoping they'd take that "hundreds of puzzles" line out of the description and just be honest. I think what we get is perfectly fine for $1, as long as people know what they're buying. I didn't check the description since release, so I'm kind of surprised they left that in. That said, they are planning to include all extra content for free. So it *may* end up being hundreds at some point? But still, yeah... Not a smart move.

I also just posted my review if anyone's interested: http://www.appunwrapper.com/2015/08/20/the-guides-compendium-review/

18. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Was kinda surprised as well since the description said 100s. Plus it appears one of the puzzles is " bugged" based on the walk through to the point one can't continue any further.

Seems like a poor decision to get it out with the above bug as well as having only 50 puzzles. Not saying I dislike the app, just that with these 2 items, waiting to fix and/or add more puzzles would been wise (or modify the app description saying there is more puzzles to come!!)

19. theguides

theguides New Member

Aug 5, 2015
    AppUnwrapper has done a wonderful job articulating answers to some of the questions and issues that have popped up (thank you!), but I also wanted to reiterate and clarify a few things that I've come across in these forums...

Very little audio is essential. It's mostly for ambiance and atmosphere. If and when it's necessary to solve a puzzle, you are (or will be) clued in about it.

Also, as a clarification, there is a subtle glitch on 2-17 (that has been fixed and will be pushed live for the first update) where an audio track doesn't play on certain devices. This particular page is still 'technically' solvable with the information provided, but the audio is supplementary and part of the intended experience.

For the people that fear the main game and Compendium end with what's currently available, you will be pleasantly surprised for what we have planned for future updates. Stay patient and keep an eye out. This is our first week of launch and after we sort through everything, user feedback will undoubtedly influence design and development decisions moving forward. This is an organic process that we hope to continually improve on in hopes to provide the best puzzle gaming experience we possibly can.

In regards to the statement of there being "hundreds of puzzles": Yes, there are currently 50 pages however we guarantee that there will be more in future free updates (after the initial purchase). This wording wasn't meant to mislead or falsely advertise in any way, only to provide a framework for what the gamer will eventually have access to. Also, keep in mind that this is a metapuzzle and there is much more hidden below the surface.

These observations and concerns are very fair and we appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming as it will only help us improve. We will stick by our word in a timely manner and provide what we've promised.

Kevin and I are a humble team of two and having read through everyone's postings, we must thank you all for the great show of interest and support so far. I wish I could personally shake your hands for the kind enthusiasm that I've seen. We have a great passion for creating this world and with a community like this one, it motivates us even more in developing and improving the best puzzle experience we can.

For questions and issues, please don't hesitate to let us know: luke[at]theguidesapp.com... Thanks all!

20. The bugged level they told me they couldn't fix before release because then all the promo codes they sent out wouldn't work (not sure if they're right or wrong about this?).

It does say in the description that new sections are being designed and developed. Not sure why the description doesn't say they'll be included for free, because that's what I read earlier -- and its a big selling point!