Universal The Guides [+ Compendium] (by Kevin Bradford LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by metalcasket, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Back2funk

Back2funk Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2010
    England
    Thanks AppUnwrapper, I hope it's obvious which ones I will need the sound up for. I've downloaded both apps and look forward to getting stuck in :)

2. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #22 cloudpuff, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
    Do you have a link for the compendium? I can't see it on App Store. Thank you.

Edited. Found link within game.

3. FYI, one of them was glitched back when I played it (the developer had to tell me the sound that was missing). Hopefully the update to fix that will be out before too many people get there.

4. D1vi8

D1vi8 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2014
    Belgium
    I like puzzle games a lot but English is not my native language.

Will this game be too hard for me?

5. Sexy Pirate

Sexy Pirate Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2014
    Call centre / Parent
    Newcastle England
    hmm this sound good. just hit download on both apps. are they for use side by side or should the compendium be read first?

6. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    Bless you, AppUnwrapper.

7. aeranth

aeranth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    #27 aeranth, Aug 17, 2015
    Loving every little bit so far. Not that these folks are following a blueprint of some sort, but I find it immensely interesting that they were able to create something very similar to a Simogo effort, while still staking their own claim of individuality. It is almost as if this is simultaneously more 'approachable' than Device 6 (& maybe even Year Walk), and yet much more cryptic, distant, and cloaked in total mystery. Quite the feat to pull off, really.

Additionally, the Compendium is so, so very well done. Much more fleshed out, more 'full' than the Year Walk Companion, it could almost be mistaken for an app unto itself; nearly a free standing, self supporting, endevor on its own. This only makes the pairing with the main app that much stronger of an experience. Very impressive stuff here, all around.

8. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

Well, this sure sounds great. I was already interested when I read the front page article about it a week or two ago, but I'm definitely picking it up now. Thanks for your impressions, metalcasket (and everyone else).

9. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    #29 Adsinjapan, Aug 17, 2015
    I'm on sector 2 part 6 and the moment, having gone through sector 1 without too many hiccups. Trying to figure out a digital tumbler with a four character code.

So far I'm loving this! Providing a solid challenge, though not too much. I like how concepts and an understanding of the puzzles grow over time.

10. indalico

indalico Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    ohio
    I've been liking the challenge so far. Well worth the price. :)

11. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

#31 Anotherkellydown, Aug 17, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    Had my first chance to fire it up about an hour ago. Time went flying by! At first I had no idea what I was doing, but, similar to what Adsinjapan was saying, you pick up on things as you progress.

Very intriguing, almost eerie artwork (like Device 6), cool interface, and subtle soundtrack. Having a lot of fun so far. Well worth a dollar if you're in the mood to give your brain a workout. You may need a pen and notepad ;)

12. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I'm getting the compendium on the top for rating on this thread rather than the game itself. Earlier several people rated the game. Can a mod please fix this?

13. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I don't do many instant buys but this game/app intrigued me to buy both the guides and the copendium. For .99 each seems like a total bargain!

The impressions on TA also helped as most comments were quite extensive explaining the unique nature of this game!

Time to check it out... Wish me well as Im definitely not a puzzle guru!

14. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I made it to level 8 in my first play and am loving every second! My only fear is that I might finish it to soon? Probably a silly fear but the way the system is broken into two chapters and the amount of puzzles make me worried.

15. It's a mixed bag. Some are very straightforward, while others had me stumped for hours. Sometimes I felt really dumb for not getting the answer sooner.

16. stelluhreyesthis

stelluhreyesthis Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2014
    Game is really cool, it's like a much much lighter device 6 so far. I'm in chapter 1 level 21 right now, any hints?

17. Have you swiped?

18. Trevmayne

Trevmayne Member

Aug 17, 2015
    To those that have said that they bought the Compendium: How are you using the Compendium to supplement your game experience? Do you scour it for clues are you reading through the story as you progress?

19. Adsinjapan

Adsinjapan Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2013
    I haven't checked the compendium yet, but I've already made it through sector 1 and half of 2.

I think the compendium is there to just flesh the world out.

20. Trevmayne

Trevmayne Member

Aug 17, 2015
    #40 Trevmayne, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
    It's doing more than fleshing out the world. There definitely are concrete hints in there.
    For example, since you've finished the puzzles in section 1 look closely at figure 1.6 in section 1 of the compendium. I didn't stumble upon it until afterwards, but if I'd given it pause it could have proven helpful with later puzzles.