Universal The Greedy Cave (by AvalonGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Sounds good thanks!

2. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Depends on a lot of things. There's a boss on level 21. I found myself playing from level 1, killing everything and hoarding potions until level 13 or so. Then I avoided fights until the boss. If your goal is to just get better gear or complete a quest, killing to open normal chests to get an escape scroll and then doing only what you need would be the answer. Or, if simply grinding levels, it's often best to kill low-level enemies over and over.

3. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Probably won't win any popularity contest for saying this, but while I was looking forward to Space Grunts more than anything this week, I keep finding myself coming back to this.

I love Space Grunts too. I just am finding myself addicted to the mechanics in this with the sense of strategy involved, progression and trying to keep the best loot, etc.

Really a gem here that hopefully doesn't get overlooked, especially in light of the Don't Starve "controversy".

4. roy2x

roy2x Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2015
    Can I play the same account on multiple devices?

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    Yeah amen! Pretty much. Although I'd say every 1-3 floors you'll find a gold statue. Although sometimes if your not lucky of haven't searched an entire floor you can go 4-5 without one I believe.

& yes I have found a secret room! It's awesome. It sparkles a bit and when you enter they're multiple chests and some great loot!

Man I've kept coming back to this all day. Only level 6 but have been playing in short bursts while I've been at school.

First day I've played something other than crashlands on my phone, hehe.

Man this is going to be an AMAZING year for iOS releases. I can tell already.

6. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Awesome!

7. henrycupcake

henrycupcake Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2015

I think it's okay since they won't even be able to cover their cost of development for just selling an app for $0.99

8. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    But they are in China. :D:D:D:D:eek:

9. nosoup4crr

nosoup4crr Well-Known Member

Apr 29, 2011
    Fwiw, none of the IAP's seem to provide much of a benefit anyway. Storage is cheap and I haven't felt the need to expand beyond one extra page. Reviving, in this game is nearly counter-intuitive...as playing in areas you aren't ready for is terribly inefficient. Gear made available to you with purchase of gems is often less than desirable.

10. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Are you playing this Pluto? Not sure if you do rogue likes, but this is the real deal. No need to worrie about the IAP. They don't unlock anything. You can only buy gems with the IAP and those are used to do pretty much the same stuff the gold you find in the game will get you. Anyway, I can't stop playing it. Shoot, just realized I'm not playing. Got to fix that. Later.

11. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    there is iCloud so you can download your game from another device and keep playing :)

12. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    The only catch to this is you have to manually upload your save to the cloud. I'm not saying that's bad I just thought I would mention it.

13. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I like the game but it crashed and it loaded the interrupted game but I have to start the level over. This is mobile gaming. We need a better save setup.

14. J.R. Jalapeno

J.R. Jalapeno Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2008
    I like the game but it crashed and it loaded the interrupted game but I have to start the level over. This is mobile gaming. We need a better save setup.

15. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Can anyone still on iOS 8 confirm that today's update doesn't break anything? This game is way too important in my life right now given that I've been sick and bedridden the last few days

16. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Seems like a great game so far, anyone gets the cloud saves to work?

17. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #117 zen_mode, Feb 4, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    One thing I noticed is that you can not only see detailed stats of ranked players, but you can see what every single ranked player currently has equiped.

The level of detail in this game, from the mechanics, art, animations and technical aspects such as auto-saving every single turn is really quite shocking from an unknown Chinese developer. Sure a lot of it is taken from other games yada yada, but it's a clear win from a consumer perspective. Maybe in the long term it's not so much a win for the consumer when other good studios with more original work feel they can't compete with this sort of thing, but that's a separate discussion.

This game really needs more attention by way of articles on the front page. I see most of the attention is going to Space Grunts, but although that is no doubt a good game that I also purchased, it doesn't even save state until you clear a level for instance. Just little things that make a huge difference. I think the main difference is that that developer already has a reputation. It's interesting to see the contrast.

Also contrary to some of the posts here, one of the best aspects is that it has iAPs. This is because as most here have already figured out, you don't need the iAP at all. But because some will always buy the iAP to progress in a run faster, it means a lower entry price for the rest of us. I don't think I've ever seen so much value for a dollar. Only the major free roguelikes can top it in value. And of course as like in other roguelikes, the huge replayability is here too.

I've been sick and bedridden for the last few days, but this game has definitely made the time fly faster. Also explains why I have too much time on my hands and posting like a madman on these forums the last few days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    ^^ Completely agree with your post, zen_mode.

As I posted earlier, Space Grunts is great but keep coming back to this.

Sadly, I'm afraid the staffers here seem really hateful towards this due to the Don't Starve art comparison (which beyond the marketing images I don't think has merit, but I will let that argument go to the thread on that topic). So I'm not sure it will get the attention it deserves.

19. lilneo

lilneo Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Work in State Government
    México
    I have a problem with the game or maybe it's question?

The game doesn't have SFX's? I only hear the music

20. Tritone

Tritone Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Singapore
    confused about saves

Enjoying the game but confused about how it saves.

I reached level 10 and it says I've reached a save point, but there seems to be no way to save. In the options, cloud save is greyed out.

I can only save in town? But to go to town, I lose my non-golden items?

So the only way to save is to go back to town, lose my non-golden items, and later on I can start over at level 10?

Wanted to clarify this before I proceed. Last time I died at level 12, none of my golden items were saved. Not sure if it's a bug.