Universal The Greedy Cave (by AvalonGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 2, 2016.

1. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Just curious, are the loot stats randomly generated or are each types of same loot exactly the same?

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    There's different types of loot for each category, like officer's boots vs. novice's boots, that have different stats. But two pairs of novice's boots are going to have the same stats.

3. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    No they generate with different stats.

4. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    not exactly... you can also find the same items with different stats due to the enchantments on them

5. imdakine1

imdakine1 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2011
    I totally agree... After playing crashlands which is a steal at $4.99 it makes me worried about a game that looks good like this one but for .99 and now needs iap for storage.

Crashlands at $4.99 is totally premium and unlimited storage and goods etc... ---- I know not easy to compare as they are two separate games but the similarity is being a premium game vs not...

6. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #66 anthony78, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    It's really different though. Crashlands is a game with lots of crafting. This has a little crafting with enhancements but it's not even close to the same thing in terms of the amount of items you need to carry.

There are many premium RPGs and roguelikes that have limited inventory. It's not uncommon to have to decide what to carry or what not to carry. Heck, many hard core RPGs limited what you could carry by weight (which means carrying a few swords wouldn't even be an option).

I look at it as part of the gameplay. And you can buy more storage with gold you earn anyway if you really want. But the storage given is more than some premium games give.

Crashlands is an exception even for the type of game it is. The devs purposely made unlimited storage as a design choice, making it more casual than a game like Don't Starve.

As a roguelike, the dev should have just left out the option to even expand storage IMO. But I guess if someone wants to throw some extra money their way, which they deserve from what I have played, that's fine by me.

7. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    I do not like seeing premium currency when I start the game up but I swallowed hard and entered the dungeon...it's really good! I would like to see a better translation but they really did a great job!

My only issue at this point is it doesn't automatically save when you exit the dungeon. Maybe there are checkpoints? Not sure, but to me all mobile games should save but especially a game like this. What happens when I'm on a good run & have to turn it off? Can someone at least confirm there are checkpoints?

8. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    Been playing this for a couple hours after finally pulling myself away from Crashlands and this was my thought as well.

The IAP doesn't bother me at all... Sort of like unlocking an 'easy' mode.

Oh well...

I'm enjoying it.

9. zen_mode

zen_mode Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Is paying for the expanded storage a permanent unlock?

10. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Neat at first, but the AI is totally passive and are merely obstacles in your ultimate objective: find the path of least resistance to the golden shrine. Game loads you with so much repetitive loot you can't keep or use, it becomes a loot management exercise. Roguelike? Yes. Entertaining? Sorta.

11. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    #71 zen_mode, Feb 3, 2016
    It's the same concept as The Enchanted Cave 1/2, which has plenty of loyal fans.

This one is just more fleshed out. But the basic mechanics are definitely not anything new.

12. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Bought. Upgrades seem to be purchasable with in-game currency. Art style is fine; nothing is original.

Game is pretty good so far. ;)

13. Limelight

Limelight Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    To save my city.
    localhost

I am not really amazed with this game. Another tile exploring dungeon. There are no exact story line in this game. Just like the game dont die in the dungeon, this also restarts the dungeon once you leave it. Also offers IAP.

14. anthony78

Nov 13, 2015
    #74 anthony78, Feb 3, 2016
    It's a roguelike. These games don't typically have stories and always restart once you leave a dungeon or die. And as noted in several posts the IAPs aren't needed. The inventory is just fine and actually somewhat more generous than other rogue likes.

I'm finding it to be quite excellent for the genre. Getting some good equipment now (saved by way of those gold statues).

Also, as far as saves, the game saves every 10 levels.

Great game. Others may disagree but I think I may be enjoying this more than the latest Dungelot.

15. Limelight

Limelight Well-Known Member

Jun 14, 2014
    To save my city.
    localhost
    Well, there are also quest. But I would prefer playing dont die in dungeon rather than this. But still this is quite good game.

16. touchy85

touchy85 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Yeah people are overreacting to the iaps. I'm 2.5 hours in and it feels like a premium game, the iaps didn't limit me at all. Even if they would limit me later in the game, I still had at least 4 hours of fun for 99 cents

17. zen_mode

Feb 8, 2015
    Sydney
    Absolutely loving it so far. Coming from someone that liked the concept of The Enhanced Cave but didn't enjoy the art or the landscape orientation. This absolutely obliterates those last two complaints.

Some minor nitpicks so far:

- The map icon is in the very top right and so a bit hard to reach. The UI is otherwise fairly good form a usability perspective.
    - One thing I wish they didn't copy from Enchanted Cave is the highlighting of squares on tap. It doesn't look very good and I doub it adds very much usability wise

Other than that it's surprisingly competent. Way beyond competent.

The thing I like about the gameplay concept from this and the previous title it emulates is that it's almost like a relaxing, low stress roguelike. Quite an oxymoron.

And no the art isn't exactly like Don't Starve's, just inspired by it. Doing the art in this game would have taken countless hours and it's clearly their own work. Different shading, palettes yada yada. Won't go any further than that, my comments were deleted a few pages back. But some people here really need to check where DS derived their art from. And some nuance also goes a long way.

18. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    #78 stubbieoz, Feb 3, 2016
    The game is good. Fullstop. It is worth the purchase.

It has a lot of depth if you are willing to give it an hour or so to understand the way the game mechanics play. It only keeps gold items that are either found as drops or by random statues giving an item the gold status. So far I have found both to be reasonably obtainable.

The negativity against the game looking like Dont Starve is just that...negativity with no real relevance to how the game actually is to play. The game looks and plays great on its own merrits.
    The iaps are totally unecessary and it is unfortunate that they exist at all.

There is a load of info feedback regarding enemies and their stats. There are skill trees and weapon upgrade crafting.

The only negative I have so far is the save system. As far as I can tell you simply cannot save your position in a dungeon.

Buy it, play it for longer than 15 minutes and you will find a really well made and enjoyable game.

Edit:
    And something that may not be obvious to all (like me)
    Once you tap the "START" and go to the next screen, that screen actually can be swiped to other screens. Just swipe across the screen and it will rotate to another four different screens all with game options.

19. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Comments that were solely about the art style debate were moved to another thread as TA often does when a thread gets derailed.

20. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I may have missed it in the tutorial, but could someone tell me how to enchant items. I tried but could figure it out?

Edit: Also, does anyone know yet how many levels the dungeon is?