Universal The Greedy Cave (by AvalonGames)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm going to take the plunge and I'll try to give some more details after I've played it a bit

2. Durduhdur

Durduhdur Well-Known Member

Jan 13, 2012
    Yes there is a nightmare mode, once you finish normal I assume(I haven't unlocked it). It's rogue-like but slightly different. You lose inventory upon death and upon leaving the dungeon but the game encourages you to explore by placing statues that allow you keep 1 item of your choosing. You can find several statues but only 1 per dungeon level(sometimes). The IAP doesn't hinder the gameplay because you get plenty of currency the more you play. The IAP are shrortcuts. There is a pretty deep character tree and item upgrade system. You can upgrade items by finding enchant tables in dungeons or by going to the guy in town. There are a ton of enemies and different equipment. The inventory is limited but easily upgradable if you grind for gold. For .99 there is A LOT here.

3. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    I'm not against IAP's in premium games... But the super distinct don't starve art style being used, plus the ridiculous IAP prices are making me extremely wary of giving any money so I think I'll wait and see what happens

4. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    We need more on gameplay and whats it like rather than comments on IAP...

5. ekziled7

ekziled7 Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Stupid question...couldn't tell is this turn based?

6. Themagicjesus

Themagicjesus Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2012
    #26 Themagicjesus, Feb 2, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2016
    Plays just like The Enchanted Cave. Tile based exploring with combat happening automatically athough you do have skill inputs during combat. Equipment shows on characters. The gold to earn extra storage is incredibly easy to get. Played for an hour and already got the second storage. The rpg elements are fun and the similarities to Don't Starve are minor if you actually spend time with both games.

I consider this a pretty awesome gem to have come out. There is a bit of engrish but it's not enough to take you out of the game.

7. ekziled7

ekziled7 Active Member

Feb 28, 2014
    Just got it gonna dive in... Surprised no one mention app asks you for location...

8. baldeagle86

baldeagle86 Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Whoa, great find touchy!! This seems like a steal for a game that looks awesome. Just curious about length but I guess it's randomized & all that so it is real long

9. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    I insta clicked no, lol.

I dont feel the game copies Dont Starve, it does use a similar art style, gameplay is completely different though.

Game is fun so far, nice little dungeoncrawler/roguelike, ill get a few hours out of this and for 1$ you cant rly go wrong

10. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    IAPs look completely optional so far.

11. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Is it like enchanted cave where the monsters don't move and your health doesn't auto-regen? If so, it's not my cup of tea but I wanted to make sure. Thanks for posting your impressions either way!

12. L.Lawliet

L.Lawliet Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Whoa I may be getting this. This thread has me leaning back and fourth on buying. It's such a good price for what it advertises but it seems there's not too many impressions on this thread. I bought RSK and Asdivine Menance today. I guess I can make room for one more..

13. Milotorou

Mar 19, 2015
    Dont hesitate, its actually good, forget about the whole dont starve crying mess...

Its definitely worth 1$ at least

14. Lunacy182

Lunacy182 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    People are actually not getting this game just because it has a similar art style to another game? Crazy.

They games pretty good. Haven't had to buy any iaps. The bag space fills up but you're mostly carrying around junk anyways. And the bag spaces can be bought with gold so there is no rush to get it.

15. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    Yeah I'm really enjoying it so far, except you lose everything when you escape scroll back to town? Am I missing something?

16. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    Been playing this for the last hour it's so good. Love how equipment shows on your character. It's a Chinese dev so expect some ... funny English translation. it's only 1$ so you'll still have money for space grunts or adventures of mana tomorrow ;)

17. Lunacy182

Lunacy182 Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2012
    You only keep the gold items.

18. HippoHumper

HippoHumper Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2013
    Wow, that app description read like a friggin novel. So is there a campaign/story mode in the game (I mainly ask cuz they spent a lot of time in the intro/description setting up this long, detailed back story), or is it an endless dungeon crawl with occasional quests like "kill X number of cave bats"?

19. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Hell yea to space grunts, will that drop tonight or tomorrow ??

20. baldeagle86

Dec 21, 2013
    So if you die you lose everything, scroll back lets you keep gold items and upwards. Is that correct?