Universal The Greater Good (by Sam Enright)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Makara Nou, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    hey @macplash i’m playing this one for more than 2 hs and i’m loving it more and more each minute, and now i would be inclined to recommend it to you, it would be a shame if you didn't try it, believe me, it’s really wonderful, just the trip in the caves and first boss battle worth every buck spent (very hilarious end of battle!), and it’s only the beginning (chapter 1).
    grafx and playability are really good imo, nothing to do with the rest of the games we see today, they’re more like in Another World, as i said in a previous post, and maybe that's why i like it so much... anyway, give it a chance and don’t miss it, trust me, at this price is a steal.

macplash and ste86uk like this.
  2. ste86uk

ste86uk Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    @Gwarmaxx I don't know if you convinced Macplash but you and the other comments here have convinced me. I don’t want to miss out on an experience I might enjoy and all your comments are too hard to ignore especially yours and Metalcaskets. I’ll check it out tomorrow.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  3. After finishing things like BattleChasers. I agree it’s hard to look at other jrpg styled games the same way. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal tastes. For me, I still recommend this one. Ofc the game doesn’t look appealing

4. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    @Gwarmaxx ah, what the hell.. I bought it.

In first 10 minutes with sudden appearance of King Kro himself I made it through that armored thing, but it's 2AM so I need to go to bed. Jeez, the game's so lame and quirky I might actually like it. I just hope it's funny because I couldn't take it seriously if it wasn't. We'll see tomorrow. Night guys.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  5. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Well, it's certainly quirky, but "lame" is the last thing I would ever call it. You're just starting, but so far this has more personality than basically every single JRPG that's not a classic on the App Store combined. Also, I wouldn't say it being a 2D sidescroller is revolutionary, but it dares to bring something new (and much needed) to the table, while still feeling like the perfect homage to JRPGs. It's also stupidly beautiful and polished (going back to my point earlier), so please (not you) don't make any judgement about the game before watching HD quality videos of it. I repeat: Nothing I've seen does it justice, and I'm in literal awe every time I fire it up and think about how I misjudged it.

Also...just because Campbell Bird likes a game doesn't mean you shouldn't! :mad:

6. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    #26 macplash, Apr 24, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    @metalcasket well, I like constant zooming in and out on the action. I’m getting used to the overall style. But there are still things I just have to call lame (for my taste) like jumping, UI or choice of font. I can’t judge RPG side of it yet. I’m just starting, but the only JRPG I’ve ever played is Battle Chasers: Nightwar and I invested 50 hours into it in the course of a week. And probably forever stay as a definition of the genre for me.

I understand you like the game, obviously. In general I admire your ability to be passionate about games. Especially when you’re the first to bring impressions on a new title (damn you with your 5 hour advantage;) over me). But sometimes there’s a certain person out there that just don’t get what the fuss is all about. Like I am about this game. You can’t be angry at me because of that. (I know you’re not yet - just in case you wanted to be later). I mean, I purchased the game, I don’t do refunds so what’s done is done even if I end up not playing it - wouldn’t be the first and definitely won’t be the last.

But so far my feelings are mixed about it, to put it mildly. As I said, there are certain aspects of it that are off-putting to me and could’ve been handled better. It obviously offers some uniqueness. I’m just worried “the bad” will be too distracting for me to keep me from seeing all “the good” that is there. Be patient with me on this one. I’m trying.;)

EDIT:
    Oh, come on! If it wasn’t for @ste86uk that he mentioned it, I wouldn’t even know about it. It has nothing to do with it. Why would you even consider this being the case? Are you serious?:(

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    We share a lot of similarities when it comes to our opinions on games, but the world would be the most boring place if we all felt the same about the same things.

I get your faults with the game. I respect them. I may not agree with them, but I respect them. It’s an acquired taste, and given that this is a solo project, every aspect of the game falls in line with the vision of one particular person, but that doesn’t mean you HAVE to put up or shut up.

Your issues with the game are the exact reason I can’t be assed to play Reventure for more than 5 minutes. I love it to bits and pieces, and love the lo-fi aspect of the actual gameplay, but the outer shell (ugly menus [particularly the annoying options menu], massive controls, the way the game slows to a crawl with every ending and takes forever to start up again) bothers me. It feels flimsy.

8. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    So far I’m only 40 minutes in but it seems good, the appearance actually doesn’t bother me at all nor the music it all seems fine to me and actually is really good at parts and overall really.

The story has me interested and wanting to play more to learn about the universe he’s created for the game.

Gameplay wise I haven’t had that much yet really just a few combats and liking all the hidden areas I’ve found already. Which is good for me because I explore everywhere anyway and this one has some good hidden places you’d never have thought to check unless your like me.

The only annoying things to me so far that I’d like changed are the enemy health, why on earth can’t I see it? Also the Apple bar for closing the game sometimes it vanished so I can see properly but then in combat choosing skills etc trying to read what something does the bar appears right over the writing for the skill making it harder to see.

But not regretting the purchase and I look forward to playing more.

9. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    there’s a spell for Marlon that detect enemies hp and weakness (like in Ara Fell), have you reach the point when Marlon joins Flint?

ste86uk likes this.
  10. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    Just got there now just need to meet him in the bar for drinks but I had to save as I have to get going with work so will need to play it later now.

The dark caves also seem extremely dark! So hard to see anything. My device is pretty toasty too but that could just be the heat today here as I didn’t notice it when I played earlier.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  11. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    The skill meter is a bit of a killer making it hard to use much in combat, although hopefully getting more mana will help give more options but it seems strange to have one meter that just goes to 10 and then skills cost 4-7 so far. But maybe it’ll all pan out.

The writing at times on this game is quite funny, I think it’s well written at times. 2 hours in now and all is good.

Gwarmaxx likes this.
  12. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Once things get going, you get some more options in the menu. There are weapons and 4 rings you can wear. It looks like the game is designed to have a party of 2. One character using swords, and the other guns. But there may be more than one character that joins the party, who knows. My hunch is that it this one person will stick around though.

Also, defeated monsters reappear when you leave and come back to a screen, so if you like to grind you can. They seem fairly easy to avoid if you want to, as well.

I'm not in love with all the UI, but it works. Someone commented that it can be tricky with background/foreground, on the plus side there are hidden things and it isn't hard to jump around and see if you can find something. I've stumbled into a cave before the first town. I think, when you realize things are hidden then you just look at things differently.

I just want to say I really do appreciate how fresh this is. The tone and storytelling breathes new life into the rpg genre for me.

ste86uk and Gwarmaxx like this.
  13. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @Solarclipse yes I believe it’ll be a party of 3 I’m pretty sure I know who will join me but unsure if that’s the only 3 you ever get or if you get more options later on to switch people, but either way is fine.

Yes once you find those first secrets you know what to look out for which really helps and I’ve been finding lots of them so it pays to explore a little. As for grinding I’m not going to grind but I won’t avoid fights either unless I have to because I’m dying.

The UI could be prettier and a bit more intuitive but like you said it does the job and it’s fine really.

Solarclipse likes this.
  14. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    I’ve only played for about one and a half hours but I am really enjoying it.
    I really appreciate the slower pace the game seems to be going for. It’s almost a relaxing style.
    I am playing it alongside with Battle Chasers. Two different styles indeed and I am lucky that I can enjoy both.
    Oh and something I don’t normally experience in a lot of games I play is that I am finding the story to be actually interesting.

I see that the developer said they were going for an old style final fantasy type experience. The interface certainly does, complete with the clunkiness of that style, but it does it’s job and having played games with horrid interfaces in the past this game ain’t too bad in that respect.
    Also thankfully the game doesn’t include random encounters like final fantasy games have. (ugh, I hate those. Whoever thought that was a good idea was simply a dumbass).

I also think that the music is spot on for the style of the graphics. Looking at screenshots I can't say that my initial impressions were favourable, but after playing for a while I have grown to quite like it.

All in all this is a very enjoyable game and at a supposedly 12 hours gameplay it might be one of the very few games I actually get to finish. :D

Just out of curiosity, what device do you have?
    I have an iPad Pro 12.9” and the Home Bar appears under the skill descriptions and doesn’t cover them.

I don’t like the current Home Bar setting. It appears white every time you tap and can become distracting in a game that has a lot of dark scenes like this one does.
    I wish Apple would just get rid of the damn thing. It’s bloody useless imho.

ste86uk likes this.
  15. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    I'm really enjoying the dialogue. It can be moody and atmospheric one moment and tongue placed firmly in cheek, the next.

ste86uk likes this.
  16. Anotherkellydown

Anotherkellydown Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Bronze

After reading the great discussion in this thread and Jared’s Game of the Week article I’m buying this. It’s been a while since I played a premium mobile RPG. I’m especially excited to hear the soundtrack and feel like I could get into a different type of story. Here goes.

ColeDaddy and ste86uk like this.
  17. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    @stubbieoz I’m on the iPhone X still as I hardly ever use my iPad these days. But yes the bar setting could do with changing.

I don’t get why Apple only gives the two options....why can’t it be invisible? Are we complete morons and couldn’t just swipe the edge of the screen to close an app without a visual identifier?

stubbieoz likes this.
  18. Solarclipse

Solarclipse Well-Known Member

Jul 30, 2012
    So many more hidden things than I was expecting!

One heads up for early in chapter 1. During the day there are a number of chests hidden. Later it will turn to night and there are new chests in some of the same locations.

I have found the save points to be frequent enough that it isn't a problem. This is a sit down for a bit and get into it kind of game anyway.

There is a signpost that warns about a difficulty spike ahead (the meta commentary in this game is great ). I first took it on at level 3 or 4 and got beaten. I went back and leveled fairly quickly to 6 and the fight was easy.

As you level up the stat increases go up to. Since the I have found no need at all to grind, just killing as I go.

This game just gets better and better. Still one ??? In the menu options to unlock. No idea what that will be.

For concerns about skill points, Marlo has a magic that gives you 4, and when you get a 3rd party member it gives you more opportunity to get SP. Also, criticals earn double and you'll be getting crits more frequently later.

19. ste86uk

May 9, 2012
    #39 ste86uk, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Recruited my 3rd now and don’t want to give spoilers on him but it’s seemingly better now for combat with more options opening up and generating more points. I have to add he is really cool.

How are you all working your tombs? I see they level up and unlock new skills but if we swap them will they keep their level? I’ve give one to Flint and one to my new recruit rather than another to Flint as I need his MP for heals.

The last battle in the cave was good and I’m still enjoying this game, just made it to the bucket and chapter 2. Looking forward to continuing the journey and seeing the story unfold in this interesting world.

20. stubbieoz

stubbieoz Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2015
    Male
    Grey haired gamer
    NSW Australia
    Tomes keep their level when giving them to another character.

And such a great game with such a crappy icon, lol.

ste86uk likes this.