Universal "The Gestures" - How fast are your thumbs?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Washek, Jan 8, 2020.

1. Washek

Washek Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Hi there,
    After a long time learning how to code (around 1 year) I finally finished my first game and you can be the first to try it and let me know what you think.

It is a simple, yet hard arcade game, where you have to tap on enemies to destroy them and win.

I have been in a game industry for more than 16 years now. All the time as a 3D modeler/texture artist.
    I start learning Gamemaker in December 2017, but then I had to work on outsource modeling to survive for about a year. I came back to my game at the beginning of last year and this is how game looks right now. Still needs some polishing but its playable and hopefully it is fun.
    Its available on iOS in the App Store as TestFlight and also in Google play store.

I will be glad for any kind of feedback.

Have fun

Washek

Link to AppStore:
    https://testflight.apple.com/join/ruk0MGU0

Link to Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.EventHorizons.Gestures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. macplash

macplash Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2014
    Male
    3D artist
    Munich, Germany
    Aside from a lack of originality taking almost 40+ year old concept of whac-a-mole, the game’s actually pretty fun. It’s too hectic for my taste as I’m more of a casual player, but I see the general appeal in this particular kind of gameplay. I like the overall presentation. It’s fairly obvious you’re coming from CG background judging by the polished visuals. (I recognized the Firefighter thumbnail on your YouTube channel immediately, Vašek Křivánek;)).

In the thread’s title there’s a Universal prefix used, but the game’s obviously designed for widescreen displays only as there are fairly noticeable black bars filling the empty space on iPad with 4:3 aspect ratio. It’s not as bad as being forced to double the resolution of iPhone-only apps, but the bars are still there nonetheless. I understand there’s no easy fix for that. I’d appreciate some sort of UI on sides anyway though.

I’m not gonna criticize the choice of free 2 play financial model. Even the developer’s gotta eat, I know. I’m usually strictly against it so seeing any hearts, coins, ads and multiplying features after every stage just makes me angry. I didn’t play too long to recognize yet if the game’s generous enough with its rewards or it’ll be the grindfest at its worst. I’m just hopeful you found the middle ground.

Oh, and gameplay-wise I really like the addition of different power-ups. Makes the experience fresh, allows to experiment with different combinations and mostly keep the player interested to coming back for more until everything’s unlocked. Also having multiple game modes (challenge and infinite) is only a plus.

All in all, you did great with your first attempt in developing the game on your own. Congratulations. And fingers crossed for the game being a success once released. Good luck!

3. Washek

Washek Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Hi and really thank you for such a feedback.
    Heh firefighter was ages back :D but glad you know my past works :)

Abou the game, its still wip, so I will get rid of those bars on 4:3 and some other things, work more on sounds, gameplay and graphic a bit more.

About monetization, there is really no need to buy anything, its just to make the game easier for player who want it easier (more slots, more lives). Its fully enjoyable with game as it is, without crazy grind. I was testing it mostly without any addons or extra coins. Its even more fun when you have just one live :)
    Mostly its just financial support to continue developing the game.

The game is kicking out from level 15+, there are so far 15 different enemies, which hopefully make it also fresh.

Once again, many thanks for the feedback!

Cheers

4. Washek

Washek Member

Jul 31, 2017
    Hi there,
    New version of The Gestures v0.9.27b is out.

Now with full support of 4:3 devices.
    Graphics is updated
    Gameplay tweaked
    Some bugs fixed

Many thanks for your feedback

https://testflight.apple.com/join/ruk0MGU0

Cheers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Washek

Washek Member