the future of consol games/pc games?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by sid187, Sep 15, 2010.

1. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    hi guys. iv been reading and it seems the trend is for game company's to stop developing for the PC. and focus on the game consoles.

i have to thank all you/us gamers for my new computer sitting on my desk. you see in the early days before the Xbox... Sony play station 2. computers is were the die hard gamers roamed.. i can remember going to several kegger/lan partys during my university days. and we all had to have the latest and great pc's. gamers really did push the video card market.. i can remember my vodoo card.. woohoo. anyhow. computers are still expensive for a teen.. so a xbox, or play station 3 makes total sense.

but i just wonder as games slowly go away from the pc.. will computers slow down in there speed, gpus. ( yeah they will keep developing, technology will go forward.. but will the prices go up etc.. right now for 1500.00 i built a kick ass computer.. and i thank all gamers for this.. i can remember my first real computer was a P166 32 megs of ram, 8meg video card and 4gig hard drive. was a great gaming machine back in like 1993-95 ( i do not remember what year the 166 chip set came out). expensive tho i paid like 4 grand for that bad boy ). the money was there for the hardware guys needing to buy the latest and great to play that new game.. now every so many years you will need a new console.

what do you think is the future of gaming hardware? do you think its dead for the pc? where do you think consoles are gonna go.. ? hell maybe hardware's future is in hand held..

chris.

2. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    PC gaming isn't go anywhere soon, especially when you see the reception Starcraft II got. It may not be as prevalent as the late '90s where consoles were still taking hold (compared to today), but it's definitely sticking around.

And with the constant demands for multiplayer, graphics, and all that comes with a console, gaming definitely isn't going completely handheld. That's a different category altogether.

3. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I think in the future, 3D virtual reality googles will replace console and PC games. People will probably look back in history and laugh at the time when we used to look at screens to play games.

4. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    PC gaming isn't going anywhere from what I can tell. While there are many games that work better and would attract a bigger market on consoles, there are plenty of games that can only work well on, or can only play on PC due to hardware, control input, etc. Imagine trying to play something like Starcraft on a 360. It's just not going to work as well.

5. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Yeah right, goggles :rolleyes:

I'd bet that it would be some sort of small head set or something you would wear on your head. It could recieve impulses right from your brain and manipulate the chemical reactions that make your brain work to make a scene right in your head, no eyes necessary. I mean the rate of technological advancement is exponential, right? Every thing that happens in your brain are the result of chemical reactions, right? It could happen fairly soon. As long as we don't get ourselves blown up.

6. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
  7. The Bat Outta Hell

The Bat Outta Hell Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 10, 2009
    Hat Salesman
    Washington
    This is effing impossible to read.

8. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    shrugs. then move on. thx for your feed back.

thanks for your info guys.. yeah i could see the helmet thing happening.. amazing times we live in.

chris.

9. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Gaming in general is going to die out in 2 years. That's right, 2 years. No one will want to play them anymore.

LOL

On a serious note, PC gaming isn't going anywhere. Especially when quality games like Stacraft II keep coming out. Not to mention I refuse to play an MMORPG on anything BUT a PC. And we all know how popular those are.

10. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009

I never could get into starcraft. maybe i should try the new version. and i agree with you on the mmorpg.

i was just checking out some of the game studio web pages, and most of them stated they were going to be moving away from the PC. so got me wondering.

2 years, heh.. 2012 fear!!!!

chris.

11. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    #11 LBG, Sep 15, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
    Well maybe not goggles. I couldn't think of a better word. Anyway, future gaming will probably put you in a 3D world where your whole vision is occupied by the game. No more looking at screens.

Maybe something like this :D

[​IMG]

Or this

[​IMG]

What you described sounds scary. I'm not sure that I'd want to have anything screwing around with my brain chemicals :p

12. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    ok that ball of doom.. I WANT!!!

that helmet looks cool.. id sport that to the local bar to hit on the womenz. laughs. but, i bet it would be a trip to play in a 3d world.. where all your senses are controlled by the computer.. i could see the welder helmet, and some gloves..
    you could even manipulate the weather.. just changing the temp of the helmet and your brain would think its getting warmer.. say if you were heading into the desert.

interesting concepts and im sure this stuff is being tested at some university. military probably has stuff close to this id think.

chris.

13. walsh06

walsh06 Well-Known Member

i think if those come into play what would be awesome is just free movement. You wouldnt have to tilt the right stick or mouse to look where you want. You just look.