The Free to Play Rant Garbage Bin

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by H4nd0fg0d, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Bucktroo

Bucktroo Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    I shall partake of this tomorrow. Been a while since I had Subway.

2. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I just want to ask, who are these IAPs hurting that they need government regulation to protect them?

3. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    No man, we are talking about quality or cheap fast food.

What's your opinion on Arby's roasted turkey club?

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Considering every storefront peddling them offers effortless refunds, I'm sort of at a loss on this too.

5. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    /thread Lol

6. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I like their roast beef and curly fries, but I haven't eaten at Arby's in years. I get most of my takeout eats from Wawa or Sheetz. If you don't have those in your area, they're basically gas stations with made to order delis inside. Good stuff.

7. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Where im at there's no Wawa or Sheetz or Arby's, and the last Subway closed down a few years ago.

At least there popcorn. That's all i need for this thread. :D

8. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    I would like to donate money to this forum for this thread alone.
    It has given me Much entertainment after reading every post for the past ten minutes.
    Great points have been posted on all sides.
    Most people
    Many people read this and didn't chime in because no one wants to get their hands dirty but obviously f2p has its issues with most people.
    I pay $75 more on my internet bill every month because of data charges due to mobile game downloads and videos but the big chunk is Netflix .
    But if that's the way it has to be as for now I'll support it especially if the game is something I play and mobile gaming is my hobby.
    If we truly love mobile games and want this hobby to thrive then what's watching a thirty second video every five minutes to us. Of course everyone would rather pay a small $2.99 for a premium game but who can expect a developer who doesn't have major advertising and fan base to survive off of this and continue to make games .
    If you don't like the game then simply delete it or don't play.
    Of course this is my opinion and is just how I personally do my gaming.
    I love certain games . Like idle clickers . They are almost always free but have videos to get further . Guess what ... I watch about 50 30 second videos in my play because it helps me but more importantly i want to support a developer for making a game that I enjoy .

Also a tip.
    If you like to eat food and game. Most fast food restaurants have free wifi.
    Chick fil a has really good chicken salads and have pretty fast wifi around my area.

9. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    Their chicken mini biscuits (breakfast) are amazing.

10. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    I had a ham and cheese hot pocket for breakfast. They're pretty tasty.

11. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Sorry this is off topic (haha), but Eli who is the dude on you avatar and why is he your avatar?

12. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
    That's Eli man. Don't question him looking different on his website or on streams...

Asking questions like that disrupts the universe :eek:

13. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

14. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
  15. sobriquet

Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
  16. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Regarding f2p vs premium, I am premium all the way. I just don't like being nickel and dimed to continue to play a game, get more energy, upgrades etc. some people have compared this to playing in arcades back in the day but honestly the difference is developers now don't HAVE to charge between 5 and 50 bucks for in game currency that is required to keep playing. Premium IS an option. I just prefer to take that option over f2p myself. Many of those games aren't worth a dollar let alone 50 to 100. I understand developers need to make money, but they don't need to screw hard working people out of hundreds that their game is not worth. Gaming for me is the only part of the day I get to unwind and relax, being asked to cough up .99 cents to continue kinda stresses me out. My life is very stressful and with gaming being my chosen way to unwind I find that premium gaming is just better for me. I have learned to kinda keep out of arguments in game forums for the most part. I can understand Eli's frustration this IS a tired old argument. Kind of like mustard vs catsup or bacon vs sausage.

17. Jerutix

Jerutix Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2009
    Male
    Ministry
    Oklahoma
    This thread is fantastic! :p

Skimming through all the posts, I think TA should start a spin off website called ToiletArcade that requires ads to view and only covers F2P games.

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
  19. Bucktroo

Patreon Bronze

Apr 29, 2011
    Male
    Analyst
    Natural State
  20. philodygmn

philodygmn Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2012
    #100 philodygmn, Feb 22, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks Derprozess, maxbrickem, and squarezero! Your replies settled my mind. Sadly, against a purchase, but settled, at least. I am firmly in Deprozess' camp. I would literally rather watch a Twitch stream of a real game than ever feel strung along or less than fully accoutred trying to play something I paid for up-front. Returns, schmeturns when those mechanics and balance issues are always in my face no matter how long it takes for them to insinuate themselves. I would rather not be a gamer at all, in fact, than play "games" like what Derprozess describes, and I certainly won't ever pay for the privilege. Even were iPad/Phone/Touch to out-muscle Switch, for example, the experiences would remain anathema to me so long as this business model shenanigans poisons game design. Mobile is in a bind under capitalist pressures/incentives particularly while its best still pales by comparison with full-price titles (even Switch runs a hobbled version out of the dock probably just for battery's sake), but the ironic thing is that devs are at least as much to blame for refusing to offer full games for premium prices to the clearly much larger and more reliable audience who resent business' intrusion into game design. Sure, whales and bazillions of nickles can net Candy Crush or whatever an obscene cavalcade of cash, but that is in no way a viable strategy for games—not to mention gamers—with any depth.

Over the life of iOS I have been chronically burned over and over by toxic game design and been dismayed to see Touch Arcade acquiesce thereto rather than mock and castigate devs and Apple themselves who have succeeded in nothing so much as driving what is demonstrably (via Nintendo alone if nothing else) the overwhelming majority of _paying_, _engaged_, _caring_ gamers from the platform entirely. I understand that would be biting the hand that feeds them, but my point is we'd all be better fed if they and the rest of the mobile gaming press did[, IMO, obvs].

Anyway, if even this much better than average quality title still rankles in any remotely similar way to its more pedestrian ilk, then this will probably be my last participation in this space for quite some time/the forseeable future. Which is disgusting to me since Apple could make so ridiculously much more and better of themselves in gaming, just as they did in the Mac's early days, and I want to be a part of that. But nothing good can ever come of treating gamers and devs like commodities, and the same holds true for the devs themselves with us their prospective customers. To the extent surveillance capitalism is deployed to wring money out of our privacy, as well, that puts them even further behind the 8-ball, importantly.

So, I guess this is a kind of good riddance farewell for and from yours truly to mobile gaming in general and iOS in particular, for the time being, with Touch Arcade along with it. RIP anything more than jaded resentment from me about iOS gaming for, like I said, the forseeable future while Apple dingleberries around with Apple TV and a store situation so confused it's featuring its first (god-awful, BTW) TV show on Apple _Music_. *whistles* Anyway, good luck to all you searching for fun on iOS; maybe you'll find some for yourself, but for me the true cost is quite unreasonably high.