Universal The Executive (by Riverman Media LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 1, 2015.

1. mindmagicgames

mindmagicgames Active Member

Jun 11, 2015
    Game Developer
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'll admit that I was skeptical of this game at first but after playing for a bit, I really liked the idle base building. Goof gane, worth checking out!

2. Great game! Any of the Executive buffs here have a hint for completing level 3 quickly to squelch my OCD? All my leveling grades are A, except for this Level 3, where I always get a D for completion speed.

3. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    The Netherlands
    I've been playing this for a while now and I must say the one finger gameplay is really working out.
    Normally this is very unnatural for me as I too prefer two thumb gameplay, but I must say the Riverdudes have totally nailed it! Glad I gave it a try and trusted the game for this one finger mechanic! :D

4. modus_ataraxia

modus_ataraxia Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2015
    Well, I finally bought it and gave the game a shot. Turns out I was disappointed for the exact reasons I asked about here.

The combat does feel clunky. The animations do look stilted. There's a disconnect between when I attack and when the attack connects, and the fighting does feel repetitive.

However, the character design is great. The game has a great sense of humor. The setting is cool, and the enemies are both hilarious and interesting. Graphics are crisp and smooth, too. Level design is quite good.

It's too bad I found the combat unable to match the level of polish of the rest of the game. The devs seem like good people though, so I congratulate them on their continued success. I just wish I had gotten some more clear answers when I asked, before learning this game wasn't for me.

5. brighteyes74

brighteyes74 Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Harrow , England
    +1 for getting the first arrow to be swiped anywhere.

6. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Not to correct you or anything, but as you upgrade your Speed your attacks wont feel clunky and so this is done deliberately to endow upon a sense of real progress within the game. Also fighting in the first difficulty may feel repetitive but as you play the levels in the Executive difficulty, you will find more varied enemies as well as their respective pattern and unknown secrets to beating them not written in the Tips.

ps. developers - is there icloud sync?

7. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    Perhaps I just didn't get far enough. I prioritized speed almost exclusively (for this reason) until I was priced out of it. I figured since I already got to the second phase of the game, and the problem was still there, that it wasn't me.

I'll give it a another shot. There's a lot to love about the game, which is why I'm bummed about my feelings on the main part of it.

8. BadMrFrosty

BadMrFrosty Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    I hate to tell you but you can get an A+ on each level.

I have the same OCD and yes, it bothers me too.

9. Splinters

Splinters New Member

Jul 20, 2015
    Thoughts on The Executive

I've really enjoyed The Executive, and agree with all the high praise it's received. I don't generally like fighting games, but this one has had me hooked. It's a perfect mix of solid action, character and business development, and high production values. And it's just plain fun. Kudos to Riverman Media!

I do have a couple suggestions for the next update, however.

First, by the early "Executive" levels, I had bought everything there was to buy. So, at that point, the game lost all its non-fighting elements. Why not have further enhancements for the latter stages of the game?

Second, the chart showing how much money I've earned doesn't seem optimized. If most folks, like me, buy stuff as soon as they can, the line chart sits at the bottom the whole game. This is exacerbated by the fact that the game defaults to the next exponential value on the x-axis. So if you make a million and spend it, the chart is virtually empty. Why not default to twice the highest/current value as the high point of the chart?

Third, and maybe this is just me, but with the final ten levels to go and all upgrades purchased, I've suddenly hit a snag. I don't see a way to beat the Medusa Recluse. The SP meter never increases when you're fighting her, and she has too many hit points to be defeated with two flame kicks and six additional hits. So if you spend a pierce and kick her with flame twice and six other hits, you can't beat her since there's no way to hit her without gaining more SP, which never replenishes. What now?

Anyway, great game!

10. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    feels good :)

Attached Files:

11. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Congrats man!

Im 10 stages left to get an A+ on everything myself, so i hope i can get there with you soon. :)

12. modus_ataraxia

Jan 7, 2015
    So, after I finally got attack speed up to 150%, the combat no longer feels clunky and unresponsive. I am actually really enjoying the game now.

As a test, I sold all my skills, and dropped my attack and defense to 10, while keeping my speed at 150. Then I replayed the first levels of the game. Had speed never been an issue, I would have enjoyed the game from the start. Instead, I had to slog through it until the early executive levels. That's more than half of the game where I was feeling disappointed with the game's primary fun factor.

A solution? Drop attack speed as a modifiable skill. Set it to a sufficiently high level, and put it in the background. I feel it really holds the game back otherwise.

13. riverman_jacob

riverman_jacob Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    You will continue to gain SP from blocking if she never hits you with her magic attack (which causes lockout), which can be avoided by casting shield as quickly as possible. That should be enough to set you in the right direction. :)

14. sqvid

sqvid New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    #254 sqvid, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Green Snake with Crystal?

How do I kill the yellow snake lady with the green crystal? The crystal starts out small and I can get a couple hits in but if she hits you than the crystal grows and I can no longer hit her. I was able to take her down in one of the early stages just by dodging everything but level 40 has two of them spar off at the same time and I just can't dodge / kill quick enough.

I know it's got to be one of the special moves but I feel like I have tried everything.

Toucharcade Forum, you're my only hope!

15. sqvid

sqvid New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    #255 sqvid, Jul 29, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
    Or is she the Medusa Recluse referenced above (i.e. I should keep trying Flame Kick and not suck at life)...

16. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Pierce to deal damage to her. You'll need shield too to block the high+low beams.

17. sqvid

sqvid New Member

Aug 26, 2013
    Ah! Thanks. Hadn't bought pierce yet. Had bought advanced pierce though, go figure.

18. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    I really hope the devs will update this soon with some bug fixes and improvements for iPad users.

19. icoker

icoker Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2013
    Anyone still unsure of whether getting this game is absolutely worth it, I wrote a review of it outlining why you'll like or hate this game.

https://koffeeklaud.wordpress.com/2015/07/29/a-midweek-jaunt-with-the-executive/

20. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    They released an update but no improvements for iPad users. #########