Universal The Executive (by Riverman Media LLC)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by touchy85, Jul 1, 2015.

1. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Great idea EP. You totally get it.

2. riverman_jacob

riverman_jacob Well-Known Member

Apr 3, 2010
    #202 riverman_jacob, Jul 7, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
    Thanks for the suggestion, we're definitely looking into ways to improve the experience for two-thumb players on iPad.

In the meantime, might I suggest you try playing with one finger? In the considerable amount of time we spent user-testing and refining the controls, we found that players had an almost universally better experience playing with one finger, especially on iPad. It actually solves a handful of little quirks, including the one you've brought up.

Of course, we know that's not everyone's preference, and we'd like to accommodate two-thumb players as much as possible. Until we figure it out though, give one-finger style a shot and see if you like it better.

Thanks!
    Jacob

3. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    No worries about me playing with 2 thumbs. Im already at stage 30-ish in Executive rank using 2 thumbs.

The problem i have with using one finger is covering half the screen with my left hand if i have to swipe towards the right side. Using silverfist attacks on the right side makes it worse.

2 thumbs are the way to go in my opinion. :)

4. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Cool! Whatever works. We'll see what we can do though. Gestures are a tricky beast and modifying them always has unintended consequences, so we've gotta be careful!

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Congrats on the well-deserved 5-star review up on TA's front page! :)

6. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Thank you so much. I'm in total shock. When my brother said, "Let's make a fighting game that's like Zelda 2 crossed with a Jackie Chan movie," and I said, "Ok, maybe it's kinda like Mad Men but you're fighting wereworlves," I never expected anything remarkable to come of it.

We are so, so, thrilled that people are finding our strange little game fun. We are forever in our players' debt for giving our games a try!

-Jacob

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    5 stars? For THIS? Are you serious? Why in the...oh hai! :3

Congrats you lovely Rivermen, you. Such a well deserved review...by Carter, nonetheless! Hopefully those pant suit pockets of yours will be lined with even more and more of our filthy dollars from now on. :)

8. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    We'll see... Money comes and money goes! What matters to me is making something something that players like you enjoy. I mean this from the bottom of my heart: All I've ever wanted to do is make something that helps other people feel the same way I did when I jumped on my first goomba or found my first triforce piece. I know that our design skills are much too inadequate to ever come close to that, but darn it, we're going to try.

9. murgolicious

murgolicious Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Is there any iCloud sync so I can play on the go on my phone and continue on the iPad at home?

10. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Sorry I've taken a bit of time to respond to questions about iCloud. The answer is: We are looking into it, but the continual earning mechanic makes it tricky. We hear you though and we'll see what we can do!

11. murgolicious

murgolicious Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Thanks for the quick answer! Keeping that stuff in sync definitely sounds difficult. I'll just buy the game and play on my phone for now :)

12. Nergal

Nergal Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2014
    Yup, 2 thumbs is also my preference, it makes some things easier but some more difficult. It's a bit mind boggling to me, thinking this game was actually designed to play with 1 finger only, but the game came out amazing anyhow.
    All the care taken to craft all the levels and everything in this game is awsome. I just hope I can handle the difficulty as the game progresses, especially the stunts. Love it!

13. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Hey Jacob, have you gotten a chance to look at my post about the blocking issue?

14. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Hi coolpepper: I haven't heard or seen any issues like this. Are you playing with two fingers or your thumbs?

15. coolpepper43

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    Yes two thumbs.

16. riverman_jacob

Apr 3, 2010
    Ok, we'll look into it. My guess is that it's a conflict created by inadvertently trying to block and attack at the same time.

17. 8BitFlash

8BitFlash Well-Known Member

May 19, 2015
    Seems short. I've already maxed out all my abilities and power ups, and maxed out all the mining stuff...so money is now useless and it says I'm only 40% through the game. Wish it had more depth and length....but it is fun.

18. bambam360

bambam360 New Member

Jul 8, 2015
    Hey, sorry if this has been answered already, but does this game work successfully on iPhone 4s?

19. Prhaber

Prhaber Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2010
    I'm not usually a fan of beat-em-up type games, but this game is fantastic!

As far as the one finger V two thumbs debate goes - I've been using two thumbs up to now as I couldn't see how I could possibly play with one finger. Then this morning I had to get up early with my baby girl and as I was holding her in one arm as she slept (and gave us all a bit of peace!) I thought I'd have a go at the game one handed. And boy was it so much easier - and more fun. I ended up doing much better using one finger and it was a much more satisfying experience too - more tactile somehow.

Who says being a parent doesn't have its benefits!