Universal The Enchanted Cave 2 (by Dustin Auxier)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by PeteOzzy, May 1, 2015.

1. Spinda

Spinda Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2013
    So all DEF and MP Regen is easy mode?

2. esty8nine

esty8nine Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2013
    It this like a Diablo style hack n slash game or more rogue like or ?

3. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    Absolutely loves the first game. Will definitely support this one !

4. Roleki

Roleki Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2012
    I just wanna know--does this game still have the "wings"? Man, I loved the first. Still have it on my phone!

5. Azi

Azi Well-Known Member

Jan 20, 2014
    Been playing for awhile and am really enjoying the ability to build my character to find what suits me.

Only criticism is that the avatar always looks the same. It would be nice if you could see the gear you're wearing. Make this game a 5 star from a 4 Devs! Add the ability to see your gear if at all possible.

6. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Just wanted to drop by and say great rouge like! Lots to do and experience, and some interesting twists on the formula.

For those on the fence, here some quick thoughts.

+ great interface
    + short sessions
    + crafting
    + rouge like perms death but includes some permanent upgrades for character progression
    + wonderful skill tree

- dungeon / enemies a little monotonous

All in all I'm really loving it and recommend to rouge like fans. Has a great one more time type feel.

7. predator8u

predator8u Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2013
    Question to everyone including the DEV,

Does enchanted cave 1 work on iPhone 6 ver 8.3???

I get into the game but when I try to go down the stairs I get a black screen with footstep sounds. The screen just stays black with this repeated footstep sound.

Is it like this for everyone.

I wanted to go back and play EC1 to hype myself up to buy EC2.

8. VirtualBoyFreak

VirtualBoyFreak Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 26, 2011
    Spain
    #28 VirtualBoyFreak, May 2, 2015
    Last edited: May 2, 2015
    So from what I read in this thread and the app description, in this game:

- There's a cave, which you enter to collect treasures until you die.
    - There's a development tree to evolve into a mage, fighter or whatever.
    - There's permadeath, but with some things that continue to exist between gameplay sessions.
    - Touch to move controls.

This leaves a few questions unanswered:

- Is the map random every time you play?
    - Is fighting turn-based or real time action as in Waiward Souls?
    - Is there a game ending?

This... What is the game like? Sure, it's a rogue like, but that is very generic.

9. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    i wanna know these answer too before buying it...

10. orangecan

orangecan Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2011
    Same for me really I'm intriuged but I'd like to know more before buying

11. Rawk GWJ

Rawk GWJ Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2014
    I really did like the first one. But for some reason I don't feel like playing the sequel.

For those wondering about the gameplay... The first one was auto attack. You wanted to get as deep into the dungeon as you could and collect gear. Better gear in Deeper levels. To keep your gear, you had to use your escape wings before you die. If you died you lost your gear but kept your xp and skills.

This one is probably very similar. The presentation looks much nicer than the first one.

12. Stevencarla

Stevencarla Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2011
    HONG KONG
    thanks for the comment, so is it a endless game or it s based on a story with a ending? and what do you think about the replay ability?

13. dustinaux

dustinaux Active Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Developer here to answer a few questions:

This game has a story with an ending, much more so than the first game.

Yes, floor maps are randomly generated

Fighting is automatic turn-based with the option to use a few spells and potions or run-away. At first glance you can't really tell this from the game but the mechanic is built largely around the strategy of choosing the right battles and collecting the most loot with what health you have. In fact when you start off fighting every monster you see is a pretty bad strategy because you're losing a lot of health before you collect much equipment. The game is more on the puzzle/strategy end than action RPG for sure.

Ah, this comment. I get it a lot and know this is very popular but it's not possible in this game because of the animations style. This only works with either very simple 2D animations (think terraria where characters are always side view and attacks are just an arm rotating) or 3D where it doesn't matter because you can just swap out object models. I used frame animations complete with some torso rotations in the z-axis and several different view angles of the body so I'd have to draw the same amount of frames for each item. Here's one of the hero spritesheets:
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are 47 frames total, with around 190 pieces of equipment that would show (rings not included) so that's 190 * 47 = 8930 frames of art I'd have to draw which who knows how many hours would take, plus there's writing the code to glue everything together, plus the art alone would also bump the file size up 35mb at least if they were each 32x32 pixels. If I knew this was so important that I get docked points for not doing it I suppose I'll have to make my next game 3D to allow for this because I'm not a fan of the super simple rotate-a-limb 2D animation style. :)

14. anabolicMike

anabolicMike Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Mr. Dev thanks for the answer! Very nice and detailed. As for everyone else. It's a turn based roguelike. It's kinda got fighting like in desktop dungeons I suppose. The enemies don't chase you but you have to fight some to get to grab equipment. It's got a different method of loot then a normal game but I understand his thoughts, why would you need to bring the massive amount of junk back? In roguelikes I've always spent more time rooting through loot to just keep the best ones. I think they call it scumming. There's also save scumming in roguelikes but are cheating. Anyway, it's a simple rogue like that is very fun in how simple it is! Easy controls and everything. I'd buy it again if I had too

Thanks eh

15. weretiger

weretiger Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Yes fighting reminds me of desktop dungeons!

16. ypai1217

ypai1217 Well-Known Member

Mar 4, 2013
    So I found a kid on the 16th floor who wants my golden wings. I'm afraid to give it to him because that might mean I would lose all my progress. Does anyone know what happens if you give him the wings?

17. Duke12

Duke12 Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2013
    You have to find another (I did quite soon) or you cant escape. You also get an item iirc

18. ItouchBrett

ItouchBrett Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2008
    Wow. This game is great. The skill tree reminds me of FF X. Wow

19. PBSNellie

PBSNellie Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Southern CA
    This is one of the better dungeon games I have played. I never did have the first one, but this is intuitive, simple, but you really need to strategize. I was on a great roll, then lost it all on a bad play. The controls are very smooth as well. Nice game! The only thing I would suggest for an upgrade is an endless mode-since you said previously that the game does have an ending-maybe unlock able later in the game.