iPhone The Elder Scrolls: Legends (By Bethesda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Boardumb, Mar 22, 2017.

1. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I have a feeling that gig is still available because Tasos is doing the articles for this, and I'm sure is feeling like he's spread pretty thin! So reach out to Eli!

I have fully embraced this game now, alongside HS. In fact I'm probably playing it more than HS at this point. The stars aligned on my packs such that I have a full fledged control monk that I love.

2. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    #102 Ayjona, May 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
    Eli was actually nice enough to contact me a few weeks back, following your suggestion. But when I accepted the position, I received no response. My guess is TA decided Tasos was the most qualified to handle it (unless they have a real TESL heavyweight - CVH-Justin-style - still prepping for the role).

Nothing like a god pack or three to endear a CCG to ya ;) Nice, control monk is my theoretical favourite among the archetypes that I've yet to explore in depth. Would be fun to see your decklist!

3. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I'd reach out to Eli again, probably in a few days since he had the loss in his family. It would shock me if they are not interested in following up with you. I'm sure Eli has a million things going on.

4. Tychaeus

Tychaeus Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2015
    Omg, where is the iphone support!? C'mon guys, i neeeed this on my phone instead of the ipad! #. DoHn wanna have to drag out my old ipad 4 and cant wait to see this on my iphone 6s plus #

5. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    Same here. Plus, the game would be more successful if it was released on the iPhone since more people have iPhones than people have iPads

6. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    I know they are going to do it, I just wonder when.

7. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    Per the subreddit, "early Summer".

8. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Ah, ok. That might not be too too far out then. Thanks for the info.

9. gonif

gonif Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2013
    Forgive my ignorance. But, alterations making an iPad game run on an iPhone really take that long? Wouldn't it have been more cost effective and less time consuming to just make it universal from the start? Wasn't that one of the original selling points of the iOS? Being able to run the same stuff without all this silly time wasting on porting? Honestly just wondering (only about 20% is petulant whining).

10. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Zomg, every update that's NOT iphone support makes me hate bunnies. Bunnies....are going to die soon, is that what you want? You want want the blood of innocent furry's on your hands?
    New game dev team: Thick with bits of bloody tissue from a dead baby bunny...elder scrolls team. DONT....test me.
    IPHONE

11. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Ahhhh, sooo many consecutive updates and still no phone support! Every time I see an update i'm hopeful I can play on my phone, especially because they recently said early summer for phone suppory lol. I am so abxious to start playing this again as it is suuch a good card game. Please put a hussle on the phone support; you guys will instantly have a new huge player base too.

12. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Bethesda will likely give the ETA for the phone client at E3; even if not, we'll not see release before then.

On the topic of E3, in addition to the big expansion (non-storyline, more cards than Fall of the Dark Brotherhood) and possible mobile news, Pete Hines has also teased another big something for TESL to be revealed in Bethesda's presentation.

That, plus the very positive Steam response likely means good times ahead.

13. Tychaeus

Sep 23, 2015
    Awesome, E3 is soob right? Im alrdy getting all kinda emails etc. but...why waste E3 for announcing phone support...guess could be just a side note

14. shfrost

shfrost Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Is anyone from these forums still enjoying this, or is everyone waiting on the iPhone version. I ask because I just started playing. So far, so good. We'll see how it goes.

What's the consensus on this vs. Hearthstone?

15. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    I'm far more into this than Hearthstone right now but I'm still playing both.

Hearthstone is second to none for aesthetics, but I think this game is so much more diverse and yet more balanced somehow. I don't know how they do it. Maybe it's the 50+ card decks that allow for more card and strategy exploration. And the lanes and runes are genius.

Hopefully this game will have some staying power. The Twitch drop system is crazy generous. Wonder how long that will last.

16. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
    Thanks, House. I'm just finishing up the tutorial and liking it quite a lot. I know I haven't even scratched the surface. I'm an old-school MTG player but haven't played in years. I also got Hearthstone when it first came out but haven't played that in years either. Never really gave it a good shot, I must say. Perhaps it's time to revisit that one. I'd love to somehow rediscover the thrill of the early Magic days, so I'm on the hunt for the cream of the crop, preferably narrowing that down to a single title.

17. houseofg

Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
  18. shfrost

Apr 9, 2010
    Artist
    Wooded area
  19. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stockholm, Sweden
    While TESL is a an blatant evolution of the HS paradigm, the more flexible deck construction rules (matching of any two attributes - akin to dual-color Magic decks - instead of picking a class), 50 card deck size, lane system, rune mechanics, dramatically smaller presence of RNG effects, dev responsiveness to feedback and willingness to frequently rebalance cards to keep the meta varied and broad, more intricate card texts/mechanics/design and larger design space (which the devs are already expanding the boundaries of) lead to a much more sophisticated and skill-focused experience.

TESL is not the only new card game to offer a more hardcore and tactical alternative to HS (Duelyst, Faeria, Eternal and possibly Gwent come to mind), but it offers the best mix of developer investment, polish, innovation and traditional CCG gameplay I’ve found. That it has an extensively realized setting to go with is a nice bonus, and the devs make very good use of the Elder Scroll IP to create atmosphere (in as far as any CCG does).

I’m currently hyping myself up for the LCG release of Legend of the Five Rings - the first physical card game I’ll invest into for decades, since Magic, Netrunner and a brief Call of Cthulhu stint just before it’s cancellation - and while L5R is an almost literally infinitely more complex behemoth than TESL, Fantasy Flight’s process, design principles and approach to mechanical diversity reminds me a lot of Dire Wolf’s work on TESL from closed beta to current day. That’s one of the best indications I could imagine that TESL players are in good hands.

Great TESL guide for Magic players! A quick note on the colors, though - they are not even superficial equivalents. Yellow/Willpower might be the most Magic-like (to White) in its token and creature buff strategies. But Willpower also has a decided MtG Black slant in its direct removal, debuff and flexible answers game. Not to mention the pilfer and general monk business, which doesn’t really belong in any Magic color.

And Purple/Endurance is only thematically Black-like, plus the odd graveyard interaction. It’s tempo game veers much closer to Green*, its ramp game doesn’t really have a MtG equivalent, and some of its answers and soft removal mostly resemble Magic’s Blue. And it only becomes more complex from there on.

* Unlike TESL’s own Green/Agility, which is decidely Red in some aspects - a commonality shared by TESL’s Blue/Intelligence but in regards to direct/face damage instead - Black in some, and split unevenly across the other Magic colors in theme and style.

(Should there be a desire for it, I can type up a quick false equivalency guide to the colours in TESL versus Magic.)

20. MetaGonzo

MetaGonzo Well-Known Member

May 7, 2009
    #120 MetaGonzo, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    iPhone time.

Not sure it's for me but I'll give it a whirl!

Edit: Aww, maintainance? Premature excitement.