Universal The Elder Scrolls: Blades (by Bethesda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    You are exactly right.

2. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I usually get limestone from the quest rewards listed on the job board. You can see the reward before accepting the quest. You may also find it randomly just exploring and looting.

You might be able to purchase limestone from the workshop although I haven’t seen it listed for sale at my workshop yet.

Asp likes this.
  3. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Dude, I said they are a place to share your opinion. I’m not telling anyone not to, I’m saying cut the arguments when people dont agree with yours.... idgaf if someone thinks different than me... but people shouldn’t be met with what is essentially “sorry you think it’s boring but you are wrong “. Like.... that’s not constructive or supportive of any sort of discussion that involves this game.

slighmd likes this.
  4. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    • Daily Quests
    • Ocasional reward in the abyss
    • Randomly in urns / container items in jobs
    • Reward from jobs
    • Workshop
    • Loose objects on shelves and the floor in some dungeons (rare)
    • Wooden chests and possible other ones too
    In other pretty much anywhere, your problem however will be COPPER, but lets not talk about that nightmare just yet

Asp likes this.
  5. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    The negative comments about the game are perfectly justified. I am enjoying it for the story dungeons (set piece ones) and seeing how far I can get in the abyss however the game is shallow, a meer snippet of what we all expected from an Elder Scrolls game and anyone who says otherwise is a fan blinded by loyalty or has not played it for a considerable length since release. I play several IAP games.. or hell 99p premium games that are deeper than this, there is no excuse for something with no soul or depth from this calibre of developer

However it has REAL PROMISE, but the one thing that WILL result in me ditching it is if they do not sort out the chests. I have used all the gems from the starter £5 which I was happy to pay as a one off for IAP (as game has kept me occupied since release and to keep dev work going), and all the freebies towards nothing but chest slots.. and I am about to run out of space due to silver chests, and I can't get copper ingots to progress my town without opening chests (mainly silver) so I am at a dead stop

This is a killer to the game, a death stroke. You can play for 1 hour and fill up your chest slot in no time. I currently have 2 gold, 8 wooden and all silver filling up 50 slots.. and am sat waiting for a silver to open (1hr 50mins left) so I can open the wooden and it's just not worth playing as the repair bill will outweigh the value of doing a run with no reward at the end and I will NOT use premium currency to open them as that floodgate once open will not stop. I will not be milked due to impatience

As an aside, just had dangled in front of me.. A DECORATION which will required about £20 to unlock.. a decoration, no bonuses, just an hourglass. This game is blatant in it intention to drain fans dry, and once the story is done, I am unlikely to login when I am not able to play

Anyone who is an elder scrolls fan who dumps money into this game over the value of Skyrim (for example) is not thinking clearly, it's worth the £5 as encouragement but nothing more at this moment in time

However I am persevering, as 5 star quests are a real challenge and I am deep in the abyss dungeon now with only a couple of steel ingots away from a magnificent temper on my weapon as I now have the topaz

Like I said.. it has PROMISE but I would be interested to see a roadmap of what is to come.

I have already listed things I would change in earlier posts but what I think would benefit (some repeats)

- beaten enemies can be looted so equipment can be salvaged
    - Need a mine type building to forge materials, copper shortage is a major imbalance
    - Cost of repairs is too high too quickly, but I expect this to be fine tuned
    - Need an icon on the shop when there is a free item available
    - Chests need to be disposable, not an exchange, just blanket TRASH so you can keep on adventuring without having to use premium currency. I just got a gold chest on a 2 star job.. if I had been out of slots I would not have been happy to throw 76 gems to open it or lose it.
    - Ability to spar with the trainer with no repair bill for practice
    - Loadouts with quick swap buttons on the screen (goblins, bandits, undead all have different weaknesses, having to go into character to change loadouts is annoying)
    - Procedurally generated dungeons, the abyss is dull as dishwater as its a corridor with a few beasts, rinse and repeat
    - Population should equal income, what's the point of running a town without taxes and tributes

I am not asking for more for less or for prices to drop, but devs need to understand that using premium currency to progress NORMAL play is not going to win fans, gems should be used for those who want to get ahead not to remove 'hobbling' of normal play, and not being able to collect or open chests is crippling.

Sadly, yet again another IAP driven game that has not even come close to surpassing Gumballs & Dungeons for a true IAP driven model that does not restrict the player in any way.

slighmd, Asp and Hascon like this.
  6. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #66 JasonLL, Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    I like the reduced times. I think reducing the chest unlocks would help out quite a bit. Another welcome addition would be added unlock slots (have multiple chests unlocking at once) that could be purchased for gems or activated through other means.

For example I would give a new player 1 unlock slot like it currently is. If that player makes any in-app purchase they automatically get a second unlock slot. The third slot could be unlocked for X amount of gems.

I bought the starter and feel that I certainly got my money’s worth. Like you said the game definitely has potential. If I was Bethsoft I would keep the game in early access for awhile and hammer out as many issues as possible. I definitely don’t mind spending money on the game but right now there is little incentive beyond speeding up and expanding inventory and chest space.

7. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    The logical way to do this would be to have a thieves guild building,

lvl 1 - can open a silver chest at 25% of the original time
    lvl 2 - can open a silver or gold chest at 50% of the time
    lvl 3 - extra chest slot, can only be used for wood
    lvl 4 - existing extra chest can be used for silver and wood
    lvl 5 - extra chest slot for silver or wood

So you will end up with 1- 3 slots, but only one can be used for gold onwards, the rest for common place.. doesn't break the model for greedy devs, but achievable through good old fashion grind

though to be honest, I would be happy with a TRASH CHEST option which does not rock any boats

HelperMonkey and JasonLL like this.
  8. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    All of this is fair enough and kind of makes my point: we want to talk about specific issues, not blanket statements. How do we make this experience better — keeping in mind that this is early access — rather than how do we punish Bethesda.

The chest situation sucks, no question about it. You can work around it (somewhat), but it could be a lot better.

JasonLL likes this.
  9. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    On Chest backlog: surprised there is not a thieves guild or structure you build that helps speed it up or work multiple chests.

10. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I’m still optimistic about the game’s potential. There’s obviously a lot of interest, and it’s generating a lot of feedback. And as has been mentioned, a F2P game in early access is able and likely to make positive changes.

I’ve been focusing mostly on the negative in my comments, but I’ve enjoyed it and am still playing it.

I DO wish they would have just ripped off Infinity Blade’s combat style, though. That was always intense and it just felt cool. And it made so much sense for the interface.

11. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    Bethesda are getting raked through the coals from a handful of YouTube videos I have seen from YouTubers more interested in drama and clicks than the development of the game. With gamers: if a game is available to play then it’s considered finished. I hate to say it but the old “this is why we can’t have nice things” applies. I don’t know if I was in Bethsofts shoes if I would do a huge public early access again.

Yes the chest unlocking is more tedious than it should be but, like you wrote, it’s early access pre release. The nice thing about this issue is that there are many ways to go about making it better.

12. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Just a little reassurance, as you progress through the story the fixed quests grow really plentiful and some of the zones are very very large (hangman woods for example is large and gorgeous, lots to explore), there appears to be a goodly amount of solo play here. I think I have got my sword to a good point, just beat the mentor on a 5 star quest and won a weapon I am not able to use yet :)

JasonLL likes this.
  13. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    This gives you an idea of how deep to get gold chests.. lots of other items as well such as equipment D8D43A2E-91D7-43EF-ADE4-6D7871EE91EB.jpeg and alchemy stuff

14. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    A warning : please take note.

So enjoying story mode and getting to tougher and tougher quests I have finally hit the major problem that you don’t find out about till later

As your equipment gets better to cope with the adventures your repair bill gets obscene, but the income from sales and chests does not rise accordingly.

This means you make a massive loss every time, and finding Money for upgrades to progress becomes scant

QED you will get to a point when you play for free that all you can do is either buy chests with the rare coins to open for money for repairs, or just spend days opening chests slowly so you can do one batch of repairs to have a 10 min quest. I just did a quest at level 16, got through no issues, 2700 repair bill from 1 run, 1800 earned.

My jobs are just bribing in silver chests and I am running out of space

This game is either balanced perfectly to ONLY be for payers or badly balanced and it’s really not worth investing time.

I was willing to give it a go, but repairs is a broken concept.

I could run easy jobs or early abyss for a few hundred profit per run but it’s unfilfilling.

Shame

slighmd, Asp and leokamiya like this.
  15. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    So, interesting note.. the random chest rewards are NOT random at all.. they follow a set pattern after reset

1) Silver
    2) Gold
    3) Silver
    4) Silver
    5) Silver
    6) Silver
    7) Gold

so basically start and quit quests with no gold reward (grab urns if you like but NO combat) and just do quests with gold or rare resources and get 2 gold a day and manageable silver (kinda)

Full cycle is here

https://www.levelcodex.com/elder-scrolls-blades/

Asp likes this.
  16. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Are you sure quitting a quest advances the chest cycle?

The linked article indicates quests need to be completed. Looks like the cycle totals 98 steps with some sections of the pattern spanning a dozen or more silver chests before a gold chest will drop.

Not unlike a finely tuned slot machine.

17. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    I’m ambling slowly along on alternate days; a couple of quests on one day, alternating with a down day of chest opening. Would like to build a workshop but need a higher town level. I guess the town needs more houses; built two already but that hasn’t helped.

The blacksmith shop is disappointing. They never have any money to buy surplus equipment, despite my just handing over a load of gold for repairs! I don’t know if upgrading it will improve their cashflow.

I don’t usually play this type of game, they being too complicated and time consuming for me, but this simplified version seems easier to manage so far, but I note that there are issues happening later.

Really impressed with the graphics, lots of smooth running detail without my iPad getting hot enough to fry eggs on.
    Will be interesting to see how this develops through early access.

Thanks to @McDeathUK for the above detailed advice.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Houses help, but you should build an alchemy lab as soon as you can. Keep in mind that you can sell equipment anywhere — doesn’t have to be the blacksmith. If someone runs out of money, go to another shop.

I find that shops are much better for crafting and upgrading equipment, potions, etc. than buying equipment. The workshop is good for building materials, though.

Another thing that helps with town level is upgrading the wall — it’s easy to miss.

I’m at level 13 and still very much enjoying it. The story starts getting more interesting as you go forward, especially if you’ve played other Elder Scrolls games. Once you get more spells and skills, and start enchanting weapons, combat gets more fun, too. Setting a Wight on fire with your ember sword doesn’t get old, IMO.

One bummer is that wait times on construction go up as you level up your town. It doesn’t interrupt your gameplay, but it doesn’t feel good.

Asp likes this.
  19. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Sorry I made a mess of that explantion

No quitting quests does NOT advance the cycle, I should have made this clear, what I am suggesting is ONLY take quests for gold and rare rewards.. don't was a quest on a cycle for a handful of lumber for example.. just start a quest, if there happens to be a chest or urn around.. grab it then quit. Only progress the cycle using GOLD rewards and you should have ample money to progress and repair.. and resources from urns keep you up to date for town upgrades

Asp likes this.
  20. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017