Universal The Elder Scrolls: Blades (by Bethesda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 28, 2019.

1. JasonLL

JasonLL Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #41 JasonLL, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    I think it would be nice if towns were set up like Mount & Blade: Warband.

In Warband you can enter a town and choose whether to walk around town or use a menu system to enter important locations. If you decide to take a walk around town you may get quests by talking to the citizens but it wasn’t necessary.

Some might enjoy Skyrim on their phone but I do agree that it would feel diminished. I do want Elder Scrolls Skyrim on my iPad Pro though :D. I think Skyrim would feel just as grand on the latest iPad Pro and would look fantastic if given the proper effort. The problem is Bethesda is not going to want to sell Skyrim for 4.99 - 9.99. They would at least want 29.99 - 39.99 for a fully optimized port for the iPhone and iPad and they probably couldn’t get enough mobile users to bite for that price.

Taeles likes this.
  2. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I can see chests building up becoming an issue. I’m only level 10 so far and the chests have been manageable but I can see silvers building up much faster than being able to open them without the use of gems. I don’t mind much now since this is early access but they will need to tweak something here. I’m almost certain Bethsoft are hearing about this issue from players.

Taeles likes this.
  3. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Very much an issue, I’m sitting on 29 silver chests and 1 gold chest. Taking a break from dungeons for a while so I can work down this pile of chests. Thank god for Abyss mode. Can still chase gold, exp and various resources while fine tuning my combat style.

Random tip to contribute : get used to working magic in to your combat. When I sword/block/sword/block melee focus my repair bill on a 3 skull mission is near or more than 1k gold per mission. Working magic in like shield/fireball/sword reduced combat lengths and thus reduced my repair bill per mission to less than 200g per on average for the same level missions :)

JasonLL likes this.
  4. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    Agreed on the 30-40 price point but they could definitely get lots of attention at say... a 20 dollar price tag. We have lots of premium titles that have hit the App Store at that price range and done well enough that sequels, ongoing update support were maintained. I still think the problem here is controls. All the premium ports i have on my iPad have full mifi support. Skyrim would need it if it were to be fully realized potential on our devices.

JasonLL likes this.
  5. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    #45 JasonLL, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Hunting for the secret areas is one of my favorite parts of the main story exploration. Those areas add quite a bit of immersion to the dungeon crawling experience.

I would rather see less chests “out in the open” along the path and rather have most hidden in secret areas. Make the treasure chests feel a bit more rare and valuable. In the early access I have more than my fill of treasure chests. Maybe less treasure chests with more in each chest.

If Bethesda could add secrets to the procedurally generated areas it would be a welcome addition.

6. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    -Gotta say that the combat has been more enjoyable as difficulty increased and skill trees expanded.

-I badly want a “discard chest” option.

-Whatever shortcomings there are here, they did a fine job decorating this game world.

-If all “mobile gaming” was Blades, and “real gaming” was Skyrim etc, then mobile gaming would deserve its lowly reputation. That said, there are much better gaming experiences on mobile than this.
    It’s fun to play, but it’s not compelling.
    I’m playing because of its pedigree and potential at this point.

7. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    I’ve been trying to like this game, I mean the production values are through the roof, but in the end it always just comes back to being just another timer driven unlock-stuff game and I’ve burnt out on those :(

It’s basically the Galaxy On Fire 3 of Skyrim to me.

8. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    So much this!! Its games like this that keep up the stereotype that mobile gaming is all f2p junk!

9. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Or not. You could argue that this is the kind of game that makes regular gamers think F2P could work — that’s the gist of the Kotaku “review,” anyway.

Let me put it this way: I’ve paid for plenty of Switch games that have given me far less enjoyment than this one. Do I wish I could pay $10-$15 dollars to turn it into a premium game? Sure. But I’ve put hours into it and I am still hooked as is.

10. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    This is a mobile game. The goal was not to put Skyrim on phones. For what it set out to be, a mobile on-the-go game it is great. I hate that F2P exists & I hate timers but that is in mobile gaming to stay.

A lot of complaints about what the game isn’t. I like the style, if feels open & explorative (even though it “isn’t”) & keep in mind games are linear. Maybe you can run around (Borderlands) to do whatever you want but when you play the story or missions it is linear. For that reason I am fine with how this game works on mobile. The skill tree is good & it all works well on my phone. Run a quick dungeon before bed is fun.

I’m reminded of Mario Run. Many complaints that it wasn’t a “real” Mario game. But Nintendo said they wanted to make a one-handed portrait Mario for phones. To that end I say it’s a masterpiece.

This may not be a masterpiece but it’s good. IP alone can make one game playable vs another to different people. This world is great. Let’s see where this goes.

11. JasonLL

Feb 21, 2014
    Male
    I agree and maybe after all is said and done people will look back on blades very favorably. The big advantage of F2P is that they evolve constantly. I love the look and feel of the game even in its early access stage and I would go as far as saying it’s infinitely more entertaining than the first release of Fallout Shelter.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    #52 squarezero, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Exactly. I think there’s a lot that could be improved in the game, but the potential and mechanics are all there. A few things for the full release:

* rebalancing the economy. Right now, repairing items is too expensive. I also don’t like to see basic building go up in price as the town level rises.

* along the same lines, there should be a way to convert gems into gold. Unlikely other F2P games, gold is far more useful than gems.

* a better combat tutorial is a must. I had to read the manual (which is pretty buried) to find out that tapping left and right speeds up your combos. Same for using magic.

* along the same lines, you should be able to spar with your instructor at any time, and without harming your equipment. Unlike many other F2P games, skill matters here, especially as you move up.

* as has been mentioned by many, silver and gold chests take too long to open. I would rebalance to 1 hr and 3 hrs respectively.

* a bestiary would be a big plus, especially for strengths and weakness.

* most job/mission maps are simple, but I would appreciate auto mapping for the story quests.

* the rarity of imps (for healing items) and copper (for construction and upgrades) feels cheap.

* other folks have mentioned, but it bears repeating: in landscape mode, you should be able to turn off tap-to-move.

I’m sure people could add more...

HelperMonkey and JasonLL like this.
  13. ioso

ioso Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2017
    Male
    Still no access for me lol

14. slighmd

slighmd Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    Surgeon
    Philippines
    The game is kinda boring though, and that's not counting the timers.

pathogen541 likes this.
  15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    You find it boring. I betcha plenty of folks don’t. There is certainly plenty to do.

16. pathogen541

pathogen541 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2016
    You need to stop. Forums are a place where people come to expres their opinions.... you clearly enjoy the game. Great. Quite a few people don’t. Let them vent without the fear of having your opinion forced on them.

slighmd likes this.
  17. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013
    Are you saying, no one should be able to reply to your post unless they agree with you? What good is a forum if opinions cannot be freely debated?

18. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    A gold chest opened today! It was amazing!!

19. ac166

ac166 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2014
    Yes! This! I feel so sad that we've just become so accustomed to how mobile games are structured as dopamine-chasing timer-regulated IAP machines that now we just accept it as our fate even though we don't like it.

I take your point though... for what it is, it's great. I just don't like what it is :(

20. Asp

Asp Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2017
    Where do I find more limestone?