Universal The Elder Scrolls: Blades (by Bethesda)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by NyxTowa, Mar 28, 2019.

1. ShinHadoukin

ShinHadoukin Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2015
    Is there a way to see the name of your town? I lost connection submitting the name & when I hit “retry” the game started back up. I collected the quest earnings but nothing to say I got my town name.

2. anthony78

anthony78 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2015
    Are we sure the app actually notifies you when you can play? It asks for a log in every time you try to play so wondering how the app stays tied to your account to let you know when you can get in.

3. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    I didn't get a push notification like it indicated I would, but I randomly tried logging in and it let me through. I also did get an email that I had access but that was some hours after I'd already been let into the game.

4. sharfaust

sharfaust Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Same here. Also just randomly opened the game and it prompted me to download the rest of it. Nice surprise! I didn’t really expect to be able to play yet.

5. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    why not support ipad mini retina?

6. HelperMonkey

HelperMonkey Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    Iowa
    I’ve got to think that the problems with “device compatibility” are actually more related to early access permissions.

I’ve been playing after getting an email invite.
    =
    Impressions:

Not terribly exciting, but more interesting than the cluttered pages of menu screens and timers that dominate most of the generic-feeling free action-rpgs available on the AppStore.

Looks pretty.
    Decent character customization.

Fighting is less engaging than Infinity Blade.
    It’s not button mashing, but it’s not actively controlling your weapon with your fingertip either.

It’s not really free movement, but it’s not on rails. Movement is pretty well constrained to pathways. Pretty typical arpg stuff, but in 1st person.

Timers on opening chests or upgrading equipment is a thing, but it doesn’t disrupt playing.

I also just checked battery usage very casually. I played about one hour, and battery declined about 10% on my 2016 iPad Pro (9.7”). Not bad.

I’ll keep playing. That’s more than I give a lot of similar games.

7. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    I
    As far as free movement is concerned, I would recommend that folks turn off clairvoyance in the settings menu — that will remove the light trail that guides you to quest objectives and make the whole experience feel much less on rail.

As dungeons get bigger, the exploration gets less linear anyway, especially as you are hunting for secret areas.

JasonLL likes this.
  8. McDeathUK

McDeathUK Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Ok, so it’s safe to say this is soon to be deleted, cons (I will let others do the pros)

• You only get limited chest slots and you HAVE to take all chests and cannot delete. You need chests for your building materials. Problem, you end up with a mass of silver chests that take 3 hours to open. This means you have to dump or use premium currency to open the ‘common’ 5 second wooden chests you find when your chest storage is full. To collect more chests, spend premium currency, but soon gets clogged with silver chests
    • Reuse of dungeons is ridiculous, no procedural generation here.
    • No sneak archery here, this is not true elder scrolls
    • Combat is already getting samey
    • Movement.. is annoying, misclick on an item and you are sent scuttling off across the room.

It looks great but I can’t see any major longevity here. Infinity blade combat was much more fun. This is a mobile cash grab of the worse kind,

9. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    #29 Taeles, Mar 30, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Agreed silver chests have way to long cook times. This system needs a revamp, last page or so back I suggested a more balanced approach to this. Agreed.

I may of missed it somewhere but this isnt a true elder scrolls game, this is a game about the Blades faction who were overall a specialized warriors guild who's purpose was the protection of the emperor/dragonborn. Sure we players broke all tradition, heh I was always a brotherhood ranged stealth assassin but I also was a member of the Blades, Warriors/Mages/Thieves guilds lol. But in lore aside from some bow use there wasn't much at all stealthy about these guys.

Level 11 here with lvl 2 blacksmith, full steel armor/sword/shield, all fine quality. I've noticed the skull difficulty of story missions goes down as you level up/gear up but random jobs/daily/weekly's increase the difficulty based on your gear/level while maintaining the same skull level. So to your point, the more you level up the more intense the combat becomes. Stick with it :)

They let us disable analog sticks when playing touch based movement, they should let us disable touch based movement if we are fully using the analog sticks. I fully agree with this point. Its VERY irritating.

Some other thoughts.
    . Ability use in combat on my 12.9 pro (2018) is very intermittent in regards to where you touch to trigger it. Sometimes the whole ability icon works, sometimes only the bottom edge, sometimes the left edge. This needs a rework.
    . The notch on my x max is in the way of camera control when wandering around town. Sometimes I have to place my thumb on the edge of it, sometimes I can use half the screen. Very inconsistant.
    . This game needs maps for the town. Let us manage the entire town from a full screen map so we don't have to wander around looking for interactive icons.

10. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    Been playing for 2 days, just shy of level 12, lots of skills, lots of good gear. My opening point of the post if that strip away the gorgeous graphics you are left with a game that does not stand up above any other cash grab, hence like many other beaten cash grabs like the latest Star Trek game, which uses the repair mechanic to abuse premium currency, this had a short life.

- Already bored of walking round town, though I have rebuild my major buildings to be clustered together. Once gimmic is over, let’s strip it down to a selection screen.

- Also kill the cheat opening animation, opening a batch of wooden chests is like pulling teeth, you can only sped it up after the animation. It’s short but multiple together is annoying

Just progressing the story right now and been happy to throw 5 at it for the obvious effort and that’s my rule for a game that keeps me occupied for at least a day, but currently just signing on today to start a chest opening to clear some of the 40 slots I have purchased as you get gold and above for daily quest.

On a more gamer tip note, get the workshop early as your copper stocks will plummet to nothing very quickly

houseofg likes this.
  11. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    I personally want to walk the town before this game becomes all menus like most of these games. I see the point & understand but I don’t mind walking.

12. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Yeah, I don’t see a point where walking around in town will get old.

13. gmattergames

gmattergames Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2013

This was my experience. I prepurchased, never signed up for early access. As such, I didn’t receive a notification, just tried occasionally and it suddenly let me play.

I’m enjoying it. If your ok with freemium elements and the dont mind the gameplay compromises made for mobile, the game is exceptional. It looks amazing and really captures the Elder Scrolls feel.

Otherwise, if you are expecting a fully open-world, premium experience, you might be dissapointed.

14. Darkfyra

Darkfyra Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2017
    Combat is really clunky,same for movement that sometime send you in an unwanted direction or in a wall,silver chests time to open are way too long,zones feel all the same,I would love to be able to interact with the books to read them adding a side reason to enjoy,it feel too basic for TES and the story is disappointing,also would want more exploration and cool stuff to find.the quests feel identical to each other.

15. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Frankly, after playing Skyrim on my Switch, it’s clear to me that it’s technically possible to bring a full Elder Scrolls game to the iPhone — but also why it’s a bad idea. Even when docked, the Skyrim experience just feels diminished on the platform: smaller, less grand. It also looks kind of terrible. I feel like something like this is a better fit for a mobile platform.

For what it’s worth, clunky combat is a staple of the Elder Scrolls series. In some ways, Blades is an improvement :).

16. Taeles

Taeles Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 5, 2011
    hah yea, that is a sad truth, but it is a truth.

i wish apple would go more hands in with the mifi controller. skyrim with a mifi controller? woo that would be something :)

17. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    Anybody purchase the limited offer $4.99 starter? I’m nervous to grab before full launch in case there is an issue & something not transfer over from early access.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    I did. I already had the Watcher set (came as a gift for signing up early) but the materials, gems, and gold have come handy. According to Bethesda, all progress will transfer to the full release — we’ll see how that goes :).

19. ShinHadoukin

Feb 20, 2015
    At what point do you get the Watcher set? I thought I signed up early. I have not fought my mentor yet.

20. McDeathUK

Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2015
    So basically I am reduced to starting jobs and quitting just before I finish to accumulate wooden chests as I have 22 unopened silver and KEEP getting silver chests as a reward. What a thrilling game NOT completing quests to avoid the BS untrashable chests. Plenty of gold and resources thanks to said chests but not really what devs envisioned as a work around for their greed. You got 1-2 Wooden per quest.