The Economy...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Wegmans, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Wegmans

Wegmans Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Finance
    MD, USA
    I thought i'd start a thread about the economy in the US specifically, but I don't want to neglect others because of globalization. I see that the majority of readers/contributers on this site are young (15-30.) Has this economy impacted you specifically? If you're young, have you only noticed low gas prices? I'm very interested in how the younger age groups have been impacted by this "economic slowdown." Has anyone panicked and sold out of their 401ks or IRA because of this? Has anyone been investing MORE because of the low markets? What about job security?

I hope most people have constructive things to say, but I also know from experience it can be an emotional topic.. Anything we want to talk about?

2. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
  3. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    Are you kidding? Cause if you are, then that's a very bad joke.

4. Killquake

Killquake Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Thats what the youth have to say about this economy...

5. Kyoshin

Kyoshin Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2008
    Student
    Belgium, Maasmechelen
    #5 Kyoshin, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2008
    I'm a trainee at a bank in Belgium.. Loving it :D Getting stacks of money in your hands feels so good. But the economy is bad.. And you can't say you couldn't predict this.. But I don't think that there is a reason to be frighted or something because the the stocks keeping dropping and raising. People with big money can get more big money if you will take a risk. I've seen a guy coming in 10h with 100k and putted it on stocks of a bank, when it was 13h they raised with 29% and then he sold them. 2 days after and the bank went broke and the stock dropped with 99% !

6. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    lolol

7. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    If your parents lost they're jobs and you have no money, I recommend selling your iPod touch to make some extra money, instead of spending more on apps :(

8. case

case Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    Interaction Designer
    Michigan
    noone knows what the impact will be.

the fallout will be by state in the US. two examples are California and Michian.

however, some industries, such as entertainment and game design are unaffected. people will still buy games heh.

but if you're in heavy industry or automotive, you're screwed.

9. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    im investing all i can left and right now... have a lot of stock in AAPL, KO, AIG and some others... some might be gonners(AIG) but others are way under priced right now. i got in at the perfect time.

i'm also investing a good deal into my own company, team phobic... two of our now full time developers just lost their jobs so we hired them, before we were just a part time gig.

i'm 22 btw

10. McChikun

McChikun Well-Known Member

Oct 26, 2008
    Asking for developers for promo codes so that you can review their games on Youtube is one thing. Begging for free money, in the form of iTunes gift cards, is another. Have you considered getting a job? Judging from your videos, you're still a kid, so I don't imagine that getting a job at a grocery store or fast food joint, or even mowing lawns or shoveling snow for money, would be that difficult.

11. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    Michigan, Ohio, and basically the whole Great Lakes industrial area has been hit pretty hard. I'm originally from Ohio and my family is still there. Machinist jobs are a big deal around there and there's been plants shutting down left and right. It's ridiculous. Despite their complaining, the rest of the country hasn't seen how bad this economy is yet. It's been mostly fear of bad economy. The Great Lakes snow-belt area is where people are really losing jobs. Here in colorado, it's just fine, yet everyone complains about the economy because they think they're supposed to.

Personally, I build guitars and I've had no negative impact yet. It's kind of retarded that industries we rely on are the ones that get washed away. It all comes down to an ugly combination of the those companies screwing people and @sswipes on Wallstreet.

12. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    LOL should I reconsider going to Michigan State in the Fall? :p

13. NotYou

NotYou Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2008
    Colorado
    You should reconsider because it's Michigan State:p

As long as you're not a machinist or engineer, or anything like that it's fine. It's the people who have lived there a long time and have those jobs that got screwed.

14. tunawrap

tunawrap Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2008
    #14 tunawrap, Dec 13, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2008