Universal The East New World (by gang du)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by TouchArcade Bot, Jan 23, 2016.

1. Andonisus

Andonisus Member

Aug 26, 2012
    The game seems to have a lot of potential so far - I love ARPG platformers and the art is great.

There are little bits of polish that seem to be missing that just get under my skin a bit, like movement feels a little stuttered, like maybe it could be smoother or maybe not enough frames in animations? Not a big deal, but makes it feel unfinished.

One thing that is more than a little bothering me is it sounds like a lot of the combat and loot/crystal collection sound effects came almost right from Devious Dungeon, or another from that genre. Maybe the sword sounds a little different, but I know I've heard that exact sound effect that plays when you pick up a blue crystal.

Could be complete coincidence, but still felt like I should bring it up since it bothers me every time it plays and I wanted to see if anyone else in the community hears it.

2. Qwertz555

Qwertz555 Well-Known Member

May 22, 2010
    #23 Qwertz555, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    I never played DD ^, so i have no idea about those similar sfx sounds here. But i remember a beloved game's great music track, and a year later there was a real good game out with the same music. I never could completely fall in love with the new one, exactly because of that. It left the same bitter taste in my mouth.
    Maybe the Dev could buy some from the internet and hopeful legaly too?
    On the other hand, i (we all) played so many games that similarity is getting closer and closer.

Hell, i do have tons of nit-picking points...
    As i posted before, i encounter a shudder of the character once in a while, still, but never in an important tricky gameplay moment.
    I see typos, missing letters, slow and little side scrolling texts in a menu, funny translations "do you want my kiss", some chinese-only perk descriptions, no ground-spikes sfx...all this adds up to say it's by far not polished to the end.

And yet, all this doesn't take any of my fun away i have. I reached level 10, after getting my ass plastered (lol, hey Billy) on the first boss a few times.
    I just discovered enhancing of my Katana is possible, or to strengthen my armor with my achieved stones (ig. magnet, dash), or...

Really, there is so much to discover and have fun with that makes this game a very easy recommendation. Even at this high end price ;)

Edit: wondering if we have to backtrack some levels (maybe with a tripple jump?) for the third diamond. Searching all over in 6-10, but no clue where it is.

Edit: enhancing my Katana was free for the first time, all three stats. For level 11 i wanted to improve my defense a bit more (cost 150) and it said "enhance again will cover result from last time, spend 150 to enhance?"
    Wow, what an unpleasent result going from defense+24 DOWN to +21 !?!?
    Searching for email contact and hope for the best, Dev's coming here and english speaking.

3. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Despite the Engrish, this game has some cleverly designed levels and responsive controls and is a true gem to play.

4. LordShad0wz

LordShad0wz Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2014
    The thing is, at least for me, sometimes the weird engrish and phrases give the game it's own unique character. As long as you can figure out what is going on its all good. I actually appreciate that the devs are trying in a language not native to them. It's probably very expensive to hire someone to translate everything in an entire game.

Billy

5. Zeillusion

Zeillusion Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2013
    #26 Zeillusion, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    The game looks amazing. Should I purchase it? Waiting for some more impressions.

How's the gameplay?

Screw it. It's a snow day, I didn't buy my morning coffee so I bought this.

6. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Pick it up man. It's pretty good.

7. Fastbridge

Fastbridge Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Service advisor for Honda
    NYC, New York. USA
    Just picked it up. Cant let this pass me up

8. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    Yeah, awesome recommendation. Enjoying the hell out of this. The engrish is comical and I like it Lol

9. Strange Brew

Strange Brew Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    Financial systems analyst
    MN
    This game rocks! Having a blast with it so far, and surprisingly deeper than I imagined it would be. Hopefully it gets continued support/bug fixes/new content.

10. chief78

chief78 Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    How do I assign a skill to a weapon? I bought the katana and tried to equip the fireball to it, but a hint in Chinese (I guess?) popped up, so I have no idea what to do...

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You need 500 gold.

12. MathFan

MathFan Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2014
    I received an email from the developers. They have confirmed that they never tested the app on an iPad 4. I will not run on my iPad 4 with iOS 8. Hopefully this post will save others the trouble of asking Apple for a refund.

13. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    My email history to reach out for the Devs is very small, and this was the first time going to China. The game's translation already implements a bit that they don't know english too well, unfortunately.
    Probably only my bad luck that they gave me the same answer about the game not running on ipad4, lol, three times. They totally mixed up the emails.

The studio seems to work with 11 people and maybe, a big maybe, one of them is showing up. I always send the Devs the link to the game's thread. I'll email them again...

14. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    Just caught this. Looks like this is up my ally. Will a fan of Goblin Sword or Sword of Xolan like this?

15. Gwarmaxx

Gwarmaxx Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    NCC 1701
    weird, 'cause yesterday i've received an email from the devs telling me that the known crash issues on older devices will be fixed in the next update.

16. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Yea. The game takes a lot from both games and then puts their spin on it. It's honesty pretty good so far. A bit tough at times, but still good. There's plenty of levels and then there are some really tough speed run levels too. It's definitely worth the 2 bucks IMO

17. H4nd0fg0d

H4nd0fg0d Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2010
    I agree. Well worth $2. Solid platforming. Enjoying more than Venture Kid which I wasn't impressed with very much.

18. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    All I needed to hear. Thanks for the recco.

19. Qwertz555

May 22, 2010
    Has anybody bought an armor for 500 or even 1000 ? I'd like to know if i could carry more special stones instead of only three.
    I have some little spare coins but i definitely don't want to waist them.

I'm in the 2nd world, level 13, and i quit a while ago to search every inch for chests and diamonds, especially since the game gets more challenging now. And it easily can happen that in the very end of a stage an unpleasent enemy or a downfall can erase all your efforts. You only keep what you found when you finish the level. I'm fine with that.

I really can't recall anymore if Goblin Sword (clearly better, imho) or Xolan (on par) also had some bad design = cheap damage issues.
    At least, I look at it this way.
    A falling bush or stone, a frog out of nowhere or a trampolin jump into the spikes. If they had at least added some sfx sounds to it as a sign/warning from far...the archer is heard all over the stage.
    Of course, once you know the stage a bit better, you know when and with what you'll have to deal with. That's why i started to finish any new stage first with almost no looting, just rush to the end...lol, rush isn't exactly a working plan at all.

If you're still on the fence, don't be, really.