Universal The Drowning - (by Mobage, Inc.) [Universal]

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 11, 2013.

1. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    I know a lot of people here HATE freemium games, but I can live with them. Don't get me wrong, I would much rather pay $7 for real racing premium, $7 for this premium. I would love the demose of fremium games! This game is good...it's just annoying sometimes.

NOTE TO DEV: want to make money off this game? I know how...REMOVE THE ENERGY AND TIMERS! Make this game come with a premium price!!! Seriously! This could make some bank! Add normal controls, these take some getting used to, but work fine when you do, I could go long with the controls if it wasn't for the energy. That gave me a break. Take this seriously devs...this is soft launch, not many will get it now, change it while you can! Please!!!

2. Wave_Rider09

Wave_Rider09 Member

Jan 19, 2013
    Games a big disappointment, not worth the space. Would be better if it had controls like modern combat - but they'll probably charge you 100 gold for that aswell. #

3. sweetdiss

sweetdiss Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Regardless of how well the controls work, I'm glad someone is at least TRYING to innovate in a touchscreen FPS. Good or bad, I'm incredibly excited to try it out for myself.

4. WCFields

WCFields Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2009
    steel worker
    Anyone know when the iPhone version will be released?

5. copaeci

copaeci Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2012
    student, writer, reviewer, beta tester
    ID
    Is this a worldwide release or NZ only?

6. Joltrabbit

Joltrabbit Well-Known Member

Jul 5, 2012
    Good news! It's iOS! It'll be outdated in 2 months and 10 games like it will be out by summer.

Bad news! They'll be freemium or soon-to-be-freemium

7. xM1N1M4Nx

xM1N1M4Nx Member

May 8, 2012
    I'm curious to know why this has only been soft launched as an iPad build. Surely the game needs to be tested on smaller screens where the game may be more difficult to control.

8. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    game crash when i press icon ,any solution?

9. Xeyad

Xeyad Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2012
    all I can say about this game is a MISSED OPPORTUNITY.

It's a fantastic looking FPS that isn't on rails, all the artwork and music is quite nice, and the gameplay itself is actually pretty good. For me, I think the IAP stuff isn't too baring, and freemium games is the new trend in iOS now.

But damn it, I cannot understand for the life of me how they thought these controls are actually a good idea. I remember when they were comparing the controls of their game to NOVA 3, and how it doesn't stack up to their new "innovation". Well, I have NOVA 3, and I do have many FPS titles with the "traditional" analog stick, and they work way better than what they created here! This is certainly an innovation too far, and they MUST have an option for normal controls. Other developers have made this mistake (ahem, The Other Borthers) and now they're suffering from really bad ratings on the App Store, and their bringing a traditional control option in an update.

I still have hopes for this game, because it really brings some high-quality gaming to iOS, but for the love of God, bring me some goo'old analog controls.

For now though, DELETED :(

10. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Yeah it's a crasher for me too. Could be a case of my iPad 2 (6.1) not cutting it. From the vibe in here it doesn't sound like a big loss

11. Junra

Junra New Member

Apr 12, 2013
    Same thing's happening to me on my iPad 3. The Unity logo comes up for a few seconds. Then it crashes :(

12. Hello!

Ben here from the dev team on The Drowning. Fear not! The worldwide version of the game will have a virtual stick option for those of you used to the NOVA-style controls.

Our mission is to make the FPS as big on mobile devices as it is on console. For people not used to virtual sticks we believe our gesture-based system is better, but of course we recognise that there are some people out there who are already comfortable with virtual sticks and we don't want to force you to use the gesture-based system if you don't want to. :)

Have fun!

13. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    this game crash on all ipad models,i tryed on ipad2,ipad3,and the new ipad,i will give negative review for this:mad:

14. Those of you reporting crashes - are they by any chance Jailbroken devices?

15. ip4weather

Nov 13, 2012
    my the new ipad(ipad4) is not jailbreak:(

16. mandrilo

mandrilo Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    a very nice game

Guys, with all my respect to fellow gamers i must say that i really like this game and it seems to me a logical progresion from the likes of dead trigger. This got a little story context and seriously better graphics....one of the best i saw on ios, perhaps. I agree that the gesture control isnt polished but i can get along with it (althought im happy to read that is gonna be a dual stick option).
    Also the iaps systems dosnt feels so greedy for me. If you wait, say, something like an hour the fuel for travel is recharged and it only took about 5 minutes to build an automatic rifle. Its very different to the dungeon hunter 4 irritating system. Again the graphics and animation has textures only seen before on consoles. Im grateful to see such an evolution on fps like this. Of course, a premium version without iaps at all will be the best.....
    But meanwhile.....the end of the world seems a beautiful thing for me :)
    Regards
    Javier

17. sean_mcn

sean_mcn Member

Apr 2, 2013
    People, we played this, then we laughed. Hard.

What a waste of people's monies. Some month ago, we heard the people making the game talk about big things. Sure, them were biting more off than them could chew. And laying some cock and bull stories for the rest of the world to write and talk about.

I'm sorry, the gameplay sucks (like Dead Trigger level of repetitiveness, only infinitely worse), the visuals aren't brilliant at all and the controls deserve a place in the toilet bowl. And I didn't even get to about in-app purchases even!

18. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    I was really psyched for The Drowning as the current standard touch controls for FPSes don't work for me.

But why is it so big at 1.2GB? I can pay $9.99 or even $19.99, but to get that more storage space I have to spend hundreds to get another iPad...

19. sawyer4325

sawyer4325 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    That's cool, I have gotten used to the controls so far, and I really enjoy this game! Why did you guys have to go with freemium? I would EASILY pay a premium price for this. So far, it's not in my face, play an hour, wait an hour. And the guns don't take that long to make. But it would be so much better without the timers and energy...

20. First, thanks for your comments!

We are part of DeNA, probably the world's biggest freemium mobile game company. Premium would never even be considered by us as a possibility.

That aside - if it even was a possibility, we do think that freemium is the best way to reach our goal of trying to make FPS as popular on mobile as it is on console/PC.