The Downsides to Promo Codes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Sainter, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    What downsides have you seen to these? Sure you get free games but there are some bits I dont like such as:

Every 2nd member now putting in their sig I review and Beta Test games, send me codes... Devs don't know who to trust anymore

Twitter members who publicly ask for codes asking if they can give them out and that they will give them a good review. First if people wanted the game they would buy them or let the devs give them out to their followers and second, giving basically paid reviews to say that terrible games are good are just wrong.

What else do you know of?

2. jonaswills

jonaswills Well-Known Member
    Patreon Gold

Nov 11, 2008
    Game Developer
    Washington
    I've only been giving away promo codes to review sites that look like they are trying to provide something and not just writing so they get free games. I probably get 4-5 e-mails/PMs a day asking for free codes.

When Bounce On first came out we gave away 10 free promo codes, we also donated 5 to a twitter competition thingy.

3. arn

arn Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 19, 2008
    I think a big problem is that people who get promo codes on the forum generally leave better reviews (in itunes and here) than they would if they had bought it.

It's just a different experience, since they are getting the game for free, and I'm pretty sure it taints their opinions.

arn

4. pante

pante Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2009
    somewhere
    i have to agree with you arn, but the word "generally" you used is a very important one. for example i'm the one who searches for promo codes, i like them indeed (who doesn't?) and always leave my real opinion about the game/app. if i don't like - i will post it that way.

5. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    It generally appeals to 13 year olds... And that's not really where the big money is ;)

6. butters

butters Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Biggest problem? They don't seem to work for European Accounts. I so far have only seen Codes for US Accounts. :p

7. Chiller ONE

Chiller ONE Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    Nurse
    Sweden
    qft!
    :D:D:D
    :p

8. ibelongintheforums

ibelongintheforums Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    ok, i just realized how pathetic it looks to put "i reveiw and beta test games" in your sig. I removed mine.

but, people are desperate for free games so they prowl the forums just looking for free games. Its kinda sad. This froum isnt meant for promo codes. Its meant to discuss games. So, if your not gonna particapate in the forums, get off.

Sorry, for the mini-rant, but im kinda preaching to the choir.

9. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    The biggest problem I'm experiencing with promo codes is that because they are limited per developer, it makes it hard for someone like me who wants them for the purpose of writing a solid review to get them. I've been reviewing mobile software for just over 4 years now, and the only thing I've gotten for writing all these reviews is a copy of the software I reviewed. Frankly, that's all I want. Now that I've moved into the realm of iDevice game reviews, I've been ignored more than humored when I've asked for promo codes from developers. I don't even get emails back saying "sorry, not interested". I'd prefer that to silence (though that's another thread, I'm sure).

The other problem is that most giveaways are run during the day (at least daytime by me), so the only people that have a chance are people that don't have a job or don't care about their job. And, since a lot of those are "first come, first serve", people tend to grab multiple codes at once, so the rest of us don't have a chance anyway.

Personally, I think Apple ought to let developers give out as many free copies of their game as they want. Sure Apple loses a bit of money on a potential sale, but a positive review can make up for that 10-fold.

Okay, I think I'm done now. I don't want to get myself into too much trouble! Well, I guess I do have one last comment. A good reviewer will tell you what they think even if they get the game for free. I could point you to a couple of reviews I've written that would make you wonder why developers would dare continue to ask for my opinion. In the end, though, most developers value honesty rather than flattery.

10. Tennisking1o1

Tennisking1o1 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2008
    I agree. I don't think I have ever asked a dev for a promo code unless he asks for people to send him a pm or something and he will give them out. Sometimes people want to trade codes for another game, so I will alert the dev and let them know it's going on. Once or twice the dev has been generous and given me a code and allowed me to keep the game, other times I get the devs code, trade it, and give the game to the dev. Some, if not a lot of, devs are very nice people :)

11. coconutbowling

coconutbowling Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Student
    Pennsylvania
    I forget what it was for, but I liked the idea of giving promo codes to senior members.

12. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    One of the Dev's, can't remember which, but he did a promo giveaway to only senior members...
    Also at the other guy who said that it's not fair because they are givin away during the day, and the only ones who get them are those w/no job or those that don't care about their job... Well you have an iphone right? You can check TA anywhere you want?... :confused:
    Plus I care greatly about my job, and yea I may be on TA a lot, but it does not hinder my work performance whatsoever.... So quit crying and become an addict like the rest of us... Refresh TA and appshopper every 30 Sec, like I do! :D

13. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    Actually, 1337Brian, I don't have an iPhone, I have an iPod Touch. They don't have wireless where I work, so I have to pick up whatever signal I can from the building, which is shaky at best. I can sit at my work computer all day and constantly refresh TA, but I don't think my boss would be happy with that. And honestly, if you can tell me that monitoring a web site all day has no impact on your job, you must have a pretty cushy job. Sorry if expressing my opinion constitutes "crying", but I thought that's what this thread was all about.

14. 1337brian

1337brian Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2008
    In My Head
    Not really, I'm in sales, No customers = Web surfing...
    :cool:

15. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    here is the link for the senior member giveaway if anyone wants to look at it.
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=3645&highlight=promo+code+senior+member

16. Myrobotwillneverdie

Myrobotwillneverdie Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    SEPDX
    I'm glad this was put out here. I'm still fairly new to TA, but I agree the shameless begging for codes makes me sick. I mean, come on people, even my 8 year old brother is a reviewer and beta tester at this rate. Who doesn't want a free game? I just think the anonymous nature of the Internet, has caused some people to lose class. ( or standards. Would you beg for codes if we were all in person?)

17. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    hey, about your sig, do they actually just send codes to you?

18. PointOfLight

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I'm glad someone asked, because I was curious about that myself :D

19. ibelongintheforums

Jan 4, 2009
    yea, i could use those codes for my review site (see sig), maybe you can change ur sig to say, i dont do reviews but ibitf does, send the code to him.:p

20. Sainter

Sainter Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    Oh gee, not asking for promocodes are you.