Universal The Deep Paths (by Steve Jarman and Crescent Moon)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by JoshCM, Mar 8, 2017.

1. stevejarman

stevejarman Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Just some news - new update on the way to the App Store which adds a setting called "Weaker Enemies". Does what it says, letting you get through the combat a little easier (if you're struggling) and just enjoy the other aspects of the game.

2. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Thanks for the feedback. The new game is already in the works and I'm definitely approaching almost everything very differently this time. It'll probably be my last dungeon crawler of this type so I'm hoping to go out with a bang :)

3. sakara214ever

sakara214ever Well-Known Member

May 10, 2012
    Allright!!!! Now i am going to buy :)

4. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Fantastic news for anyone struggling.

5. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land
    How to drop items?

6. CrayonWarrior

CrayonWarrior Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Mar 9, 2014
    Great southern land

Solved
    Touch wasn't responding initially

7. David1953

David1953 Well-Known Member

May 26, 2013
    That's great news, and I have been holding off. The impression I had gotten from reading this thread is that the game was poorly balanced, and far too difficult. An easier option, for older gamers such as myself, would definitely have me consider hitting that buy button after all.

8. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I think older gamers (like you and me) actually handle difficult games a lot better :)

9. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    Just FYI there's two ways to do it. You can grab an item in your inventory, close inventory, then tap the floor. Or, grab the item in your inventory, then click it onto the "dropping hand" icon at the bottom of the inventory itself.

10. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree with you on the random stat roll thingy, there Nullzone. I love being able to spend a few extra minutes up front to get a more capable character. In my opinion, this is the best part of old school RPGs. Also, KUDOS FOR LEAVING FOOD OUT OF THIS GAME. I've always hated the starvation mechanic, and I remember permanently dying on the final level of Dungeonmaster because my characters starved to death.

11. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    #71 Ubisububi, Mar 14, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    To the developer, thank you...

It must be brutal listening to us tell you what we don't like. I hope, however, the reason you are doing it here is because you know that we mean well, and are hoping to be able to shape the game into something we would love to play. Still, it must be hard, and your presence here is greatly appreciated. That being said, I'd also like to voice my concerns over the inconsistent interface for picking up objects, and the inability to move while in "look up/down" mode.

12. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Thanks for all of the feedback so far guys - really helping us improve the game.
    The latest update should be live now - has the lowered enemy difficulty option!
    -Josh

13. auver

auver Active Member

Mar 18, 2013
    I'm currently running with two mages at early stage. Is that better choice running with two warriors or two thives instead?

14. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    Going by all the oldschool influence, I'd say not running with two warriors in the frontrow for extra tankiness makes the game harder. I went with a standard party setup of 2 warriors, 1 Mage, 1 Thief. Still irritated that there's no Cleric/Healer ;)

15. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Older gamers should be able to handle harder difficulties as there was no hand holding through games or multiple saving during the 80's and early 90's. You either lived or died and your mistakes were rightfully punished.

16. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #76 Nullzone, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
    That's pretty much nonsense. I grew up with the Bard's Tale series and all that insanely difficult oldschool stuff. I am a fairly good and very experienced player (at it for over 35 years now ;) ) , but that doesn't automatically mean I want crazy stuff like this.

There's two important differences your blanket statement doesn't address:
    1) Being able to handle harder games vs. actually wanting hardcore difficulty.
    Sure I can handle most of it (some exceptions, e.g. hardest difficulty in Spiderweb's games, that one's just insane). But most of the time I simply don't want to anymore. Mostly because playing hardcore is way more time-consuming and stressful, not relaxing.

2) Hardcore difficulty vs. bad game design.
    Prime example here: the waiting till you healed up. That's not hardcore, that's just a waste of my precious gaming time. With job and family, my gametime is way more limited than when I was a teenager (or even before I got a family: back then I sometimes took a week off work when something great came out; not possible any more). And I definitely do not want to spend it doing one fight, then wait for 5 minutes till my girls are healed again.

17. Deadpan

Deadpan Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    I think you need a mage in your party to be able to brew potions using reeds.

Try my tips, I found waiting around frustrating at first but you'll take far less damage using traps, ranged attacks and backstab.

18. stevejarman

Feb 13, 2013
    Game Developer
    Sydney, Australia
    I often played with a fighter and rogue up front and two mages in the back. Two mages can be an interesting option as you can weaken/blind/poison and also fireball/iceball.

Having said that, is it better than fighter/fighter up front and rogue/mage in the back? Who knows...