Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by SuyinRei, Feb 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meder87

meder87 Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Product Development Manager
    In the world of iOS
    They did say it would be released along side After Birth. This isn't coming out until the first week of January. Probably best to accept this is the most likely outcome.

2. murdercloud

murdercloud Member

Dec 24, 2016
    Indie developer, music/sound composition
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Finally.

Finally.

3. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    What!? What you mean finally? Its not out yet

4. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Notice that was his first posts.

It's not out.

5. kaelendiaz

kaelendiaz Member

Nov 21, 2016
    Why?

6. bossjaja

bossjaja Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    You monster.

7. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Merry christmas all you Issacites hopefully it will be out soon. Have a safe and merry Christmas

8. luckystrikeguy

luckystrikeguy Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Hopefully tomorrow eh? If not next week I would assume.

9. kaelendiaz

kaelendiaz Member

Nov 21, 2016
    I'm guessing tomorrow... hopefully.

10. bossjaja

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    Not quite the news we were hoping for, but this is from the creator's twitter:

So tomorrow isn't happening, and I'm assuming next week isn't either considering that we're supposed to get an update around the new year. I'm guessing we'll have it mid January, or early Feb at the latest (Assuming it's still on track)

Oh well, it's not that big of a deal. I remember when word came out back in Feb that it was rejected from the App Store, so I'm just glad that we're getting it on iOS at all :p

11. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    There goal was to do a simultaneous release same day as Afterbirth+ so we will have too see.

12. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Why is this shit such a mystery? Ugh, set an f'in release date and be done with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. bossjaja

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    I'm hoping for Jan 4th, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's a delay. It's funny, I could literally go play this game right now on my Vita, but there's just something about having it on iOS that makes it so much more exciting :p

Anyway, what do you guys think the price will be? I'm betting somewhere between $7.99-$14.99 (Even though it's worth so much more IMO)

14. KeKhan

KeKhan Well-Known Member

May 28, 2012
    I don't understand why this game is so popular. Looks like a basic twin-stick shooter to me.
    Anyone want to tell me why it's so hyped?

15. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    It was one of the first Roguelite style of games - it uses procedural generation and permadeath in order to foster replayability. The story is also pretty psychotic. Other than that, your assessment is pretty accurate - it's a basic twin stick shooter.

16. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    #236 Delusionaltool, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    there is so much more to it than this...How about multiple characters who play differently, how about randomly generated levels and assets including the monsters that in habit them, random boss order and effects, the power ups , the negative power ups, the powers you get are all RANDOM , every play through is entirely a new experience depending on the power ups that spawn for you. If you choose to pick up at that power up will it screw you or make you stronger? oh that pill lets try it and see what it does, ohhh it took off an entire heart container from my life, how about the evil rooms which require a dark heart container to open? or how about a holy room that requires a white heart container to open? how about when your in say a evil room you spend a life point for a power up? do you gamble on it ? do you want the power up worth 2 hearts or even 3? there is so much to this game than just a simple twin stick shooter. not to mention different difficulty modes changes the game completely. You know those power ups you got for your life hearts its not just loosing a heart the only way to refill your life is get a power up that increases your heart container size.

17. athros

athros Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2011
    DevOps
    Colorado
    #237 athros, Dec 28, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    Different difficulty modes, special rooms, multiple characters, all of the random generation and so on doesn't change the fact that at the core of the game, it's a basic twin stick shooter. That's not a bad thing, nor is it a negative statement. That's what the game is.

All of the randomness is part of the procedural (well, random in this case) generation. Pills are a synonym for potions/scrolls that are present in just about every roguelite/like out there, and them being unidentified at the start of a run is nothing new.

Some of the set pieces are interesting, and can offer interesting choices. The Dark/Holy rooms are much like vaults from Brogue, Zigg's from DC:SS and so on.

Powerups act much like equipment does in standard roguelikes, so it's no surprise there that it also changes the way a run happens.

None of this is new, what was new about BoI was putting it all together with a twin stick shooter. It also has things that can only be unlocked by playing the game more, which, coupled with the permadeath mechanic, paved the way for the Roguelite genre (as it was one of the first to do so).

18. Hambo12

Hambo12 Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2012
    on the internet
    the art style reminds me of something and speaking of that this might be a little of topic but whatever happened to super meat boy or mew genics or something that was supposedly suppose to come to iOS?

19. Delusionaltool

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    Mewgenics is on hold till Eds other projects get done. They are working on a new title that is a strategy RPG with the same art style as Issac.

Super meatboy could happen but not for a while, the art style Issac uses takes from Eds other games as in Super Meatboy and did you know the binding of issac is actually referencing the bible. "The game's title and plot were inspired by the Biblical story of the Binding of Isaac. After his mother receives a message from God demanding the life of her son as proof of her faith, Isaac flees into the monster-filled basement of their home, where he must fight to survive"

20. bossjaja

Jul 9, 2015
    United States
    Were they really planning to bring SMB to iOS? I can see playing Isaac with touch controls just fine, but SMB? That seems like it would be nearly impossible.