Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (by Nicalis, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Lickzy

Lickzy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Oct 28, 2013
    Director of Sales
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Considering picking this up...

How perma- death is this? Do you retain Items? Skills? Levels?

If anyone can tell me what happens why you die i would appreciate it

2. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    Set it to off, then set it back to on.. close the game, then reopen it and let the prologue play. If you touch the screen, its goes bye bye.

3. Repulsa

Repulsa Well-Known Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Here is a seed for those who haven't unlocked Lazarus yet, I ended up with exactly seven hearts by the time I entered the boss room
    LLZC
    G6Y7

4. drmad

drmad Well-Known Member

Jun 2, 2013
    Indonesia
    You will start from scratch if you die
    But you will unlocked new items, enemies,bosses,stages and ending as you play
    But those things will randomly spammed on your next playthrough

This game is hard and challenging in a good way
    You will die a lot, but the fun is to discover something new every run and seeing the power combination play out

5. Intendro

Intendro Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2013
    #425 Intendro, Jan 15, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    I don't think seed runs unlock anything, at all.
    It's for something like trying a fun item combo without being lucky enough for it to show up again.

6. dothecollapse

dothecollapse Member

May 16, 2013
    Trying to understand why you would think that...?

7. brerlappin

brerlappin Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Does the game have subtitles for dialogue? Thanks!

8. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    Hey guys I'm on a -42 loss streak how do you guys beat the game this far. The game is fun and incredible glad I picked it up!!!

How do I enter seeds so I can beat the game??

Any tips please

9. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    There's no dialogue in gameplay nor in the videos for the endings I've unlocked so far

As far as I've read about seeds here in forums -- they are for fun only, in the sense that you can't unlock by using them characters or items (I don't know about the endings)
    I suck too at playing it, but I've beaten the game twice so far by being extremely lucky -- at some point I've found so many useful items that it was manageable to defeat Mother

10. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    After 55 deaths I finally unlocked my first guy Lazarus!

11. JohnnyClash

JohnnyClash Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2016
    #431 JohnnyClash, Jan 15, 2017
    I don't think you can use a seed run to unlock anything. I think seeds runs are just for fun. Can anyone confirm this one way or the other?

Edit : here is the wikia page on seeds : http://bindingofisaacrebirth.gamepedia.com/Seeds

12. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Yes please let us know! I didn't know you weren't supposed to be able to unlock in a seed game

13. Mr. Charley

Mr. Charley Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2008
    After much deliberation, I had to see for myself what this game was all about. The videos didn't do it for me. The reviews didn't convince me but I still felt the need to check out such a wisely acclaimed game....
    And in the end....
    Although I'm still acratching the surface, the game is super hard, I'm not getting anywhere in terms of levels (beyond stage 3), I've come to realize this game has so much in it, so much randomness, so much to unlock that it's truly beyond my comprehension. This game has an insane amount of content.
    I'm now a believer! ;)
    I'm so glad I took the plunge despite thinking I was going to be bored because the videos don't do it justice in my opinion. This is a game that must be played/experienced to believe.
    Wow.

14. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    This game is cool and all but I think it is missing one super important elementÂ… Persistent unlocks. It just feels like you are never accomplishing anything even though you could unlock characters.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade.

Am I missing something? It's fun don't get me wrong but kind of feels like a slog that just repeats forever.

Anyone else have any recommendations on persistent unlock "roguelikes"?

15. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    Neon chrome or feral fury

16. Repulsa

Jul 3, 2015
    so if I found 7 hearts in that seed and unlocked Lazarus perhaps others will but it's not a for sure?

17. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Montreal
    #437 ChrisL, Jan 15, 2017
    There kind of are persistent unlocks. As you play, more bosses and items get unlocked for future runs. But I'm guessing that you're referring to a system that'll allow you to, for example, upgrade Isaac's health or damage. To me, that makes games feel more like a grind. Like you need upgrades to get further. To get further in Isaac, you just need to get better. Knowing how to defeat bosses, knowing what items do and which ones to pass on, etc. And of course, luck.

There's nothing wrong with an upgrade-type system, but I don't think BoI needs it and, well, it's been doing fine without it since the original game released in 2011. If you're looking for a roguelike with an upgrade system, maybe check out Wayward Souls if you haven't already.

Pretty sure they won't. The only way would be if they had coincidentally run into that seed when starting a run, but if they enter the seed manually, they won't be able to unlock anything (with the exception of some special seeds).

18. houseofg

houseofg Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Oct 1, 2013
    #438 houseofg, Jan 15, 2017

Like me, you are more an RPG'er at heart than a rogue'r. It's the ONLY reason I've not mashed the buy button yet.

Sometimes the lack of any progression, especially in a really difficult game, can be disheartening for me, to the point that I get bored. Not that I was awesome at it, but Wayward Souls was almost the perfect balance between roguelike and some semblance of progression. [Edit: haha...just read Chris' post right before mine]

I'll probably still end up getting this though. Just seems like a milestone game for iOS (much more so than Super Mario!).

19. o0oJAKEo0o

o0oJAKEo0o Well-Known Member

May 23, 2012
    Full-Time Student
    KCMO
    Why is this game not featured on the App Store?

20. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Discussed before. TLDR: it may be due to the undertones or in fact overtones of the game. There's quite violent representations here, plus Isaac is a kid, and then there's controversial religious portrayals.