Universal The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth (by Nicalis, Inc.)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ojtitus, Jan 11, 2017.

1. neumanator

neumanator Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2015
    This game is overall super hard.

I've played it to death on other systems, about 400 hours, so I know the flow of each room and what I need to do to progress. I've had great luck and have beaten Mom's Heart 9 times and beaten Satan 4 times and beaten Isaac twice.

This game is just tough in general. Keep going. You'll get there!

2. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    Alright, I must be particularly chad at this game then, but I'll keep pressing on to hopefully improve.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    That's pretty amazing!!
    It takes big-time dedication from both players and developer to undertake a scavenger hunt like that. Wauv!

4. blue rocket

blue rocket Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2013
    Just finished it for the first time with Samson, awesome game! I'm finally figuring things out and doing much better every play through ... hard but nowhere as hard as Wayward Souls... I remember my heart beating like crazy at the last boss hoping I wouldn't die "again"...

5. Amenbrother

Amenbrother Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2011
    I just found some daddy long legs and that was pretty awesome and helpful!

6. Price

Price Member

Jan 13, 2017
    Oh man, daddy long legs is one of my fav item.

7. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    What? I am the biggest Souls/bloodborne fan boy. Yes Wayward Souls is like a 2d dark souls with the difficulty alone. no its no Salt And Sancutary the true Dark souls 2d clone.

Wayward souls has alot of similarities with dark souls than you might think. Beside it being brutaly difficult wayward souls like to send mobs on you , sound familiar? Dark souls is all about mobs ganking you. You can block and parry on here in 2d. there is secret walls in this you got to hit to find. No there is no souls or anything its just similar but in a smaller simplified brutal package.

8. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Excellent game, the visuals are so crisp here compared to 3DS. My only gripe is that it feels a bit floaty, which is a bit unavoidable on iOS. Def the best they could get it but still not 100% comfortable for playing BoI. Newcomers won't know the difference though and controls are great relative to iOS

9. Derprozess

Derprozess Well-Known Member

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I know this is not the way this game is supposed to be played, BUT - if you're as terrible as myself and you barely can reach the last room after more than 15 hours of play -- force-closing the app exactly after you die (without seeing that "game over" message) will let you play from a previous auto-save. I'm using this only when I have some rare and helpful items equipped, and since my skills are still crap after so much playing time, this stupid "trick" comes in handy for me.

10. thetrackt

thetrackt Well-Known Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Does this game have permanent unlocks for Isaac?

I definitely hope so

11. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I'll actually take that tip as compensation for inferior touch controls. So Thankyou very much.

12. Derprozess

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    I hope it helps.
    I still believe that controls can be improved, and I'm still hoping that an update will make the movement more precise. When having a full room with deadly monsters and every move makes the difference between life and death, having a bit more control while playing (only) with touch would be more than welcomed.

13. ip4weather

ip4weather Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2012
    tryed few mins and remove game,controls is very bad,game need update...

14. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    A few mins. Lol.good riddance.

15. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    #375 Dankrio, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Honestly, I think the controls work very well and probably can only be improved slightly (sensitivity adjust, perhaps?) on touchscreen. It os par with Wayward Souls, which says something.

I feel that it would still be brutal on mfi or keyboard. Unless the person is not really used to touch.

16. Shkrbby

Shkrbby Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2015
    Clearly not the game for you. Isaac doesn't hold your hand.

17. Talbs

Talbs Well-Known Member

May 1, 2011
    I've been testing this out a bit and have seen a fairly persistent occurrence; that is that if you've taken some hits and lost hearts, and even hence died as a result and so do this trick, the game loads you back into the fight you were in, with only the last heart level that you had (which will be half a heart if the very last thing you did was die), yet loads the monsters back into the room at full health. Hence using this technique to gimp a floor boss could be very difficult, and very difficult to build back up from there as you'll only have half a heart to survive on if you'd just died. It sort of seems like the game saves somehow at every lost heart level. Rather interesting it's doing this and I wonder if the devs put that in on purpose to stop game gimping.

Damn, I guess I'll just have to keep trying the good old fashioned way.

18. Derprozess

Aug 18, 2012
    Engineer
    That's true; I'm usually thrown back as far as the beginning of the level, when I'm force-closing the app for the first time; after another try, the game saves while fighting the boss with half of heart, as you say. Now I'm force-closing the game when I'm losing hearts because of my stupid choices, it helped me to defeat Mother for the first time.
    Anyway, I shouldn't have saying anything about this, since it's random and looks like will most likely frustrate than help. Finding yourself with half of a heart against a powerful boss with full healt, while having the hope to start again the level and having another chance, is too frustrating (and depressing) to even try this :)

19. jpgold

jpgold Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Online Ad Sales - Pandora
    New York, NY
    #379 jpgold, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    This game has completely taken over. Had never played an Issac game before and all I can say is wow. The amount of content in this game is unreal. Find something new every time.

To those trying to unlock characters....the best advice in received was to stop "trying" to unlock a specific character and just play. It was great advice as i now have three unlocked and cannot stop playing.

20. se99jmk

se99jmk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2010
    I'm new to BoI, and struggled with the controls.. until I realised the game had LANDSCAPE MODE!!

From the opening credits, the game looked all portrait so didn't even think to try!

Now beaten Mother, and Heart for first time (mainly using Azazel after getting controlled tears...)

Been trying to unlock Samson but avoiding even one hit is tricky!!